Emergency Kit

Seeing as I am new here and this is my first post I guess I should introduce myself. I am 27 from Utah and mostly hunt elk and mule deer. I mostly hunt archery with the occasional rifle hunt and am a self proclaimed gear nut that has been lurking on this page for a while. Anyways to my question.

What is everyone running as far as emergency equipment goes? I want to put together a little kit that will keep me alive if I ever get in a pinch and stick it in a Marsupial pouch on my bino harness since I never take it off, even on a stalk.

So far I am thinking of:
Emergency Blanket
Some TP/Wipes
Small light
Lighter/Matches
Wet fire fire starter
Lucotape
Ibuprofen
Benadryl
AA batteries
Water purification tablets
Compass
Tweezers
Misc bandaids and some gauze
Quick clot gauze

Anything you think I'm missing?

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I also carry a mini road flare for fire starting, a large garbage bag, some duct tape wrapped around my match case, and a Whistle for signaling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
A blade of some sort. Small SAK models will have a blade and tweezers.

I like to carry a single-dose size of crazy glue. Works for slice-type wounds and some gear repair too.

Laramie

WKR
Additions - I carry a few feet of strong, lightweight twine- 30lb+ braided fishing line works great. You can make a pretty decent shelter with sticks, twine, and an emergency blanket. I would skip the light and batteries and go with an LED headlamp as mentioned above. Mine is rechargeable and lasts a very long time on one charge.

A bit of cordage and or zip ties help with attaching tags to your animal.
A small sharpie for signing your tag or leaving notes.
Biodegradable flagging tape for marking a blood trail.
Havalon or similar scalpel knife with a couple of blades, and ditch the tweezers.
A section of a bic pen with a couple of needles inside and some spiderwire fishing line wrapped around the outside for a quick sewing kit.
InReach Mini.

OP
E
A blade of some sort. Small SAK models will have a blade and tweezers.

I like to carry a single-dose size of crazy glue. Works for slice-type wounds and some gear repair too.
I forgot about the crazy glue. Thats good stuff. Meant to have a blade in there just forgot to list it. Thanks!

OP
E
Seems like a tight fit kit list to get it into your Bino harness/pouch
Yeah. The more I think about it, it might not work. I'm gonna give it a go though and see what I can do. The pouch will sit next to the actual bino harness. Im going to compile a list and then wittle it down to bare essentials.

OP
E
A bit of cordage and or zip ties help with attaching tags to your animal.
A small sharpie for signing your tag or leaving notes.
Biodegradable flagging tape for marking a blood trail.
Havalon or similar scalpel knife with a couple of blades, and ditch the tweezers.
A section of a bic pen with a couple of needles inside and some spiderwire fishing line wrapped around the outside for a quick sewing kit.
InReach Mini.
Great ideas thanks!

Pootros

FNG
A tourniquet is a solid idea and a literal life saver. The Combat Application Tourniquet is the cat’s pajamas. Mine fits in the misc pouch below my AGC bino harness.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for a small pouch to hold emergency gear I'd whittle that list way down and concentrate on things that would keep you alive if somehow separated from your pack

here's what I keep on my person adventure racing (lots of dicey fords, lots of dicey off trail stuff, etc) just in case a separation from myself and my pack

1 person heatsheet poncho or blanket
small fire kit
cordage

I have Swiss Army knife on a lanyard in one pocket, small compass on a lanyard in another, small lanyard around my neck with a whistle & microlight

P5MkeAX.jpg

fwafwow

WKR
Your list and the suggestions are all good. I agree with @TBHasler on space considerations. FWIW, I try to think of the risks of concern, then group the corresponding gear into buckets - both for importance and location:
  1. What do I want on me that I might need immediately?
  2. What do I really need to save my life but wouldn't be as urgent as #2?
  3. What would I like to have that would make life much better, but I wouldn't die without?
For me #1 is my trauma kit - CAT tourniquet (agree with @Pootros) and Zfold Celox - and a knife (both kept in pockets).

#2 would be a good bit of what is on your list (including some redundancies for #1), but #3 would probably be my "boo boo kit" with some meds, bandaids, etc. The lines may blur, or I may choose to leave out an entire category, depending on my circumstance. If I'm in the backcountry, I've got all of those, #1 on my person, some of #2 perhaps on my body (Inreach), and #3 all in my pack. Deer hunting tomorrow at a buddy's farm? Just #1 (plus 2 flashlights in my bino pack).

Welcome to RS!

OP
E
for a small pouch to hold emergency gear I'd whittle that list way down and concentrate on things that would keep you alive if somehow separated from your pack

here's what I keep on my person adventure racing (lots of dicey fords, lots of dicey off trail stuff, etc) just in case a separation from myself and my pack

1 person heatsheet poncho or blanket
small fire kit
cordage

I have Swiss Army knife on a lanyard in one pocket, small compass on a lanyard in another, small lanyard around my neck with a whistle & microlight

P5MkeAX.jpg
This is an awesome suggestion. I’ll have a better kit in my pack but really only want what will keep me alive on my person.

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I keep some trioxane and a lighter in my pouch. The tablets are really slim and you only need a spark to light it

Mosby

WKR
I always have a hank of cordage, fire starter, trail tape, compass, small first aid etc., in my pack.I take less on day trips and a bigger kit for overnights. If I am hunting by myself or overnight trips, I carry a Kifaru sheep tarp and a emergency blanket I can crawl into. I have my plb and my gps attached to my bino harness. I always have a couple of lighters on me.

One of the big things I did this year is I added Life flight insurance for emergencies. It covers multiple states that I hunt in or frequently travel to. Also covers my wife, which makes it a much better deal.

I know a kid that had to be life flighted to a burn unit and they sent his dad a $75,000 bill. I don't want to deal with that type of cost if I get injured. Mine is through AirMedCare network fwiw.

I am 61 and by myself a lot. A small kit to get through the night, a PLB to get help ASAP and life flight insurance to cover the cost to get me out. Less for me to worry about if it ever hits the fan.

OP
E
Your list and the suggestions are all good. I agree with @TBHasler on space considerations. FWIW, I try to think of the risks of concern, then group the corresponding gear into buckets - both for importance and location:
  1. What do I want on me that I might need immediately?
  2. What do I really need to save my life but wouldn't be as urgent as #2?
  3. What would I like to have that would make life much better, but I wouldn't die without?
For me #1 is my trauma kit - CAT tourniquet (agree with @Pootros) and Zfold Celox - and a knife (both kept in pockets).

#2 would be a good bit of what is on your list (including some redundancies for #1), but #3 would probably be my "boo boo kit" with some meds, bandaids, etc. The lines may blur, or I may choose to leave out an entire category, depending on my circumstance. If I'm in the backcountry, I've got all of those, #1 on my person, some of #2 perhaps on my body (Inreach), and #3 all in my pack. Deer hunting tomorrow at a buddy's farm? Just #1 (plus 2 flashlights in my bino pack).

Welcome to RS!
Great advice! Thanks! I’ve always had a small first aid kit with me and a good one at the truck but the Boy Scout in me says I need to be more prepared for the catastrophe that might happen.

Great ideas thanks!
I’ll add that I have 3 levels as mentioned above. My pockets, my bino harness, and my pack.
I made a small pouch similar to the smallest Kifaru ultralight pullout for my pocket gear. I’ve always got my wallet, chapstick, and a pocket knife. Then I add this little pouch to a cargo pocket to carry a days worth of TP, a mini petzl headlamp, lighter, fire starter (a few Vaseline soaked cotton balls in a zip lock), and a folding havalon with a couple of blades. I’m never without these things.
The bino harness carries most everything else.