Enough Bullet?

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a .300 WSM and typically shoot Barnes VOR-TX 165s for elk and they work great. Is this enough bullet for moose or should I be looking at different options? I really like these bullets and don't want to change for the sake of changing. I don't shoot much past 200 yards, it that changes anything.

Thanks guys

AKDoc

WKR
You're getting excellent velocity with that bullet/cartridge combination, and I'm a big fan of Barnes bullets. Do your job with shot placement, and the 165 triple-shocks will be just fine. Good luck sir!

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Elk are tougher than moose (most will say, I havent killed one yet). Ive killed 2 bulls with my 120 gr 6.5x284, both lung shots and they didnt move but 10 yards. I am hunting moose this year with the same round, shot placement is always key. Todays bullet technology is so far advanced so no need to worry about bringing canon balls into the woods like the old days.

mcseal2

WKR
Our 300 win mags with 180gr E tips worked well at 300 and 500 yards last year in AK. All exited and the moose didn't travel far. I would think your gun would perform pretty similar, especially at the shorter range you are talking about. I wouldn't change.

I used a .338 on my moose. That was more than enough gun. I figured that since I had one I might as well use it. If I were to do it all again I would probably use a .30-06 just due to the weight.

bullmoose

FNG
I’ve taken moose with several different calibers, the smallest being a 270 wsm with 150 grain TSX that had no problem with getting the job done. Good shot placement is important with a smaller bullet but I’ve found that moose aren’t very hard to kill.

.30 cal 165 grain bullet Would be plenty in my opinion.

Jimss

WKR
I'd say mtn goat could possibly be one of the toughest critters in North America to put on the ground. I've had great results using a 300 WSM with 150 grain Noslers on goats. I would expect any 30 caliber with 150+ bullet would do the trick if you hit them in the boiler room! If one shot doesn't work just be ready for a 2nd. At 200 yards and under with a steady rest you ought to be good. Possibly bring shooting sticks to get above willows and alders.

Speedbump

FNG
More important to pick your shot, then put your bullet in the right spot. The sweet spot on a moose approximates a 5 gallon pail. Most any reasonable bullet will do, including the one you mentioned.