6.5 CM whitetail bullet

MT_Fin

Lil-Rokslider
140gr Accubonds have been my go to out of the creed, and I’ve killed a bunch of deer, antelope, and this years elk with it. I just wish I could find some to load more up!

I’ve had good results with 120gr TTSX as well.

OP
T
Please don’t be in a hurry to make a bad decision.

Listen here:
Got the opportunity to listen to this and a couple of their other podcasts. Great info. He has me talked out of using a copper bullet. From what I could read between the lines, they would favor the ELD-M that I am currently shooting. I am still interested in a bonded bullet like the accubond. Maybe a accubond LR would be a good compromise? Anyone have feedback on the ABLR bullet out of 6.5 CM? How does it work at closer ranges?

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
I tested several bullets for my suppressed 6.5 Creed. The 130 accubond is actually pretty hard. I chose the 127 LRX and it opens up well at 1800 fps. I pair it with the 129 SST for practice. The SST is a good choice for the longer shots and much better than a target bullet despite that recent fashion. Not sure how people say the SST blows up but swoon on target bullets.

FLS

WKR
No. The bullet named tipped gameking is in fact a plastic tipped pro hunter, a relatively tough, slow expanding bullet with a thick jacket. The bullet named tipped matchking is in fact a typical gameking with a plastic tip, so it upsets rapidly and makes huge wound channels.

There are some really good bullet cutaway pictures on the lrh forum, but this site is the gold mine for info how bullets actually kill game and field necropsies.
That’s incorrect. The Pro Hunters are all flat based and their jacket thickness varies greatly between weight and caliber. The Game Changer is a Tipped Game King. While it doesn’t expand as fast as the TMK, it is a very lethal bullet. I’ve killed dozens of deer hogs and antelope 80 to 725 yds out of my 6.5:Creedmoor. Out of my rifles it’s just as accurate as the ELM or TMK and the wound channels are impressive.

Last edited:
That’s incorrect. The Pro Hunters are all flat based and their jacket thickness varies greatly between weight and caliber. The Game Changer is a Tipped Game King. While it doesn’t expand as fast as the TMK, it is a very lethal bullet. I’ve killed dozens of deer hogs and antelope 80 to 725 yds out of my 6.5:Creedmoor. Out of my rifles it’s just as accurate as the ELM or TMK and the wound channels are impressive.
It is by their writing a tipped Gameking, but the jacket is a lot thicker than a Gameking.

So the name implies you simply tipped a Gameking, but the jacket thickness is quite different . Obviously its form is different to a pro hunter. I haven’t found a ph cross section to compare the internals

5480B198-5C3D-48F2-BAF6-D141EA5444FF.jpeg
7A7ACD96-CE6A-489D-BDC7-45D1DDC63392.jpeg

FLS

WKR
If you cross sectioned some some Pro Hunters you would see that jacket thicknesses vary, same with the Game King line. A .308 150 Pro Hunter is a very different bullet than a .308 180 Pro Hunter. Same applies to the Game Kings.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Got the opportunity to listen to this and a couple of their other podcasts. Great info. He has me talked out of using a copper bullet. From what I could read between the lines, they would favor the ELD-M that I am currently shooting. I am still interested in a bonded bullet like the accubond. Maybe a accubond LR would be a good compromise? Anyone have feedback on the ABLR bullet out of 6.5 CM? How does it work at closer ranges?
The 129 grain ABLR works very well out of a 6.5 creedmoor.

Anybody shoot a critter with 130gr SST? They move pretty fast for CM speeds. I've only shot one animal with my 6.5 CM and that's with the ELD-X, buck died quickly but didn't leave much blood to trail. I'm attracted to the increased speed of the factory Superformance ammo with the SST.

OP, if you're looking at bonded have you considered the Norma Bondstrike?

OP
T
Anybody shoot a critter with 130gr SST? They move pretty fast for CM speeds. I've only shot one animal with my 6.5 CM and that's with the ELD-X, buck died quickly but didn't leave much blood to trail. I'm attracted to the increased speed of the factory Superformance ammo with the SST.

I haven’t. Not real familiar with it. Though I’ve shot several critters, I’m admittedly not a rifleman. More well versed in the archery world. For the ranges I’m using my 6.5 CM at 0-300 roughly, I don’t want something that will grenade at close range or something that will just zip right through without a lot of trauma. Looking for something in between so that’s why I’m thinking a bonded bullet. Perhaps a tougher non-bonded bullet may be the answer. They all have their strengths obviously.

I haven’t. Not real familiar with it. Though I’ve shot several critters, I’m admittedly not a rifleman. More well versed in the archery world. For the ranges I’m using my 6.5 CM at 0-300 roughly, I don’t want something that will grenade at close range or something that will just zip right through without a lot of trauma. Looking for something in between so that’s why I’m thinking a bonded bullet. Perhaps a tougher non-bonded bullet may be the answer. They all have their strengths obviously.
Yeah take a look at that Bondstrike and see if it fits the bill, some compare it to Accubond. I've not shot anything with them but they shoot well from my 6.5 PRC and my 300 WSM.

p5200

FNG
I will be using the 143 eld-x mainly because that's what I have loaded at this time. I've got some Hornady 129gr. Inter-lock that would be plenty enough for my use. And more than likely the shot distances possible at my location.

nubbin

FNG

Fast speeds aren’t friendly to SST bullets. The purpose of the SST is rapid expansion and dumping energy into the animal. High MV on them results in a fragmented bullet at close ranges. With that being said i shoot 100gr sst out of a .243. They’re extremely accurate and cruising over 3k fps. I shot a 200lb hog with it this year at 40 yards. In the thick timber i thought the hog was quartering away and hit broad side in the liver. It hit a rib going in and out, complete pass through on it, is surprised me really. That same evening i shot a buck at 150 yards, perfect broadside through the lungs. Punched about a golf ball sized hole through the lungs. I’d not hesitate to shoot an SST with a 6.5 creedmoor at slower muzzle velocities.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an old thread and OP has probably decided and moved on, but I’m really surprised to see no love for the nosler partition. They’re expensive, but they work. And they’ve been working for a loooong time

Fast speeds aren’t friendly to SST bullets. The purpose of the SST is rapid expansion and dumping energy into the animal. High MV on them results in a fragmented bullet at close ranges. With that being said i shoot 100gr sst out of a .243. They’re extremely accurate and cruising over 3k fps. I shot a 200lb hog with it this year at 40 yards. In the thick timber i thought the hog was quartering away and hit broad side in the liver. It hit a rib going in and out, complete pass through on it, is surprised me really. That same evening i shot a buck at 150 yards, perfect broadside through the lungs. Punched about a golf ball sized hole through the lungs. I’d not hesitate to shoot an SST with a 6.5 creedmoor at slower muzzle velocities.
My short barrel CM is shooting the 129gr SST factory Superformance at 2820 fps average. Seems like it's probably not too terribly fast eh?