Entry Level AR15

How many of you guys own some sort of AR15 build or other semiauto .223/5.56 firearms? any suggestions on entry level AR style would be helpful.

bsnedeker

WKR
I build my AR's (have 2). I have heard good things about the Colts, which I don't believe they sell to consumers any more because they are communists. I've also heard really good things about the SW M&P's.

I have a few, all different calibers..Check out Palmetto State Armory...most of there stuff is made at the FN factory across town. Hard to beat there stripped lower if your building.

Apollo117

WKR
Palmetto State Armory puts together some very good entry level ARs. I like their Enhanced Polished Trigger (EPS) that they include on some of their products.

x3 on PSA... the build kits are a good way to get into an AR15 for a good price. I've got a handful of them... mixed results so far as accuracy goes, but gas guns can be a pain in the ass unless you spend more dollars. Grab an Anderson or Aeroprecision stripped lower locally for $50 and grab one of these kits. Check YouTube on assembly and you're on your way.

A gun dealer I buy from thinks really highly of the RRA guns, too... I wouldn't rule out spending a little more money to get something that might shoot a little better than your standard bargain build.

OP
switchback7
Just for sport shooting. and looking at Canada, I am wanting to get my hands on an AR before I am no longer able to.

Yes PSA is a great source.
Windham Weaponry is supposed to be good and are US
S&W
Rock river
Daniel defense.
Pretty much If its milled from a forging and mil spec it should be reliable

OP
switchback7
do you need parts sent to FFL licensed dealer or can they be shipped to my house?

A Ruger Mini-14 is also worth considering. I bought a used one for cheap a few years back, and after swapping the original wood stock for an aftermarket "tactical" stock, it's identical to my AR15s in the major respects: semi-automatic, same caliber, adjustable stock, rails for attaching accessories. There are some design differences between the two models (e.g., direct gas vs. piston operated, safety location) and an AR will be easier to customize/accessorize due to its popularity, but a M14 is a viable, often-overlooked option if you're in the market for a semiautomatic 223.
IMG_20200505_162008709.jpg

A Ruger Mini-14 is also worth considering. I bought a used one for cheap a few years back, and after swapping the original wood stock for an aftermarket "tactical" stock, it's identical to my AR15s in the major respects: semi-automatic, same caliber, adjustable stock, rails for attaching accessories. There are some design differences between the two models (e.g., direct gas vs. piston operated, safety location) and an AR will be easier to customize/accessorize due to its popularity, but a M14 is a viable, often-overlooked option if you're in the market for a semiautomatic 223.
View attachment 178736

Is you're name Haniball?
Do you and your team ride around in a van dishing out justice?
Is your buddy afraid to fly?

The lower has to go to an FFL.
Everything else is direct to consumer

I'd think about grabbing a few lowers locally - should run you $50-$60 each... that's the part with the serial number so it requires paperwork. You can get several on one form so I'd just go ahead and get that out of the way now. Then you can think about what you'd like to throw together. 5.56, 223 Wylde, 300 BLK, 6.5 Grendel, and 224 Valkyrie are all popular in their own rights. For just flinging rounds and the occasional coyote, it's hard to beat a Wylde.

khel

FNG
Entry level and budget? Get lower locally. Get lower parts online and put it together (very easy).
Get complete upper . PSA or BCA (can get it on sale for under $200).
Enjoy :)

p.s. 18" 223 Wylde would be my choice to begin with.