Ethics in hunting, the story of my once in a lifetime Buck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purposefully passed on reading this thread when I first saw it pop up, but damn glad I decided to check it today, you guys are hilarious! The memes are gold!

Sorry about you losing your buck OP, there are some real rat bastards out there always looking for the easy way out.

could someone make a steve chappell meme saying
hey got any more of those once in a lifetime bucks left?

I would do it but don't know how
Ask and you shall receive
63jttn.jpg

Drenalin

WKR
28 pages!? I made it through 3.

Is there a Cliff’s Notes for current status?
The status hasn't changed since day 164, at least as far as we know. Everything between there and here is memes, theories, and frustration/hatred for the OP. But if you have the time, it's worth it. Just don't expect anything resembling closure.

The real question that is not being asked is what defines a fatal shot? If I hit one in the ass and it dies 2-3 weeks later due to infection, is that still considered "my" deer? Is there a timeline of when it doesn't become "my" animals after making a "fatal" shot?

My rules always been, if the animal stays on its feet long enough after your shot for another hunter to see it and kill it, then your shot wasn’t lethal enough.

Last edited:
The status hasn't changed since day 164, at least as far as we know. Everything between there and here is memes, theories, and frustration/hatred for the OP. But if you have the time, it's worth it. Just don't expect anything resembling closure.
10-4. I’ll pass. Thanks.

Laramie

WKR
That's because the whole BIG IDFG investigation is BS. A warden may have came out and poked around but that was the end of it. The only reason DNA would have been taken from OP's arrow would be if he was a suspect in a crime. All a load of crap. Unless who ever has the buck didn't have or punch a tag, there is no crime. Waste of meat is a gray area. If the meat spoiled because the person couldn't get back in time, no intent. No intent, no crime.
If the meat was not spoiled, did OP or warden salvage it? Did OP punch his tag before he returned to claim "his" deer?

But more to the point
I'm not sticking up for the OP but no reason to spread misinformation. It absolutely is wanton waste if a hunter doesn't make every attempt to salvage meat. Allowing meat to spoil in the field is considered wanton waste if avoidable which in this case it would be. If a hunter were able to get to the animal the night it was killed, he would be able to remove all edible portions from the carcass. Maybe it takes two trips in and out but in this scenario, IF required edible portions were left, it would absolutely be wanton waste. The game warden absolutely may have collected DNA. It's a simple as placing flesh in a zip lock. Who knows if any was actually tested but it's not like him collecting a sample would be a stretch. Regarding the tag, a hunter has no obligation to punch his tag until he recovers the animal in any state. Why would he punch it before returning to claim his deer?

This story is fishy as hell and, I agree with others in that it is likely an attempt to flush someone out or at minimum, make them feel guilty. If it truly went down as they say and someone stole the deer, it is a pretty low down act by someone who places way to much value on a set of horns.

Status
Not open for further replies.