Euro help Please!!

Vids

WKR
Hi all - I've got an elk euro mount that I did myself and there are a couple of spots at the antler bases where the blood stained the skull. It happened because the pot I used to simmer it in wasn't big enough so the pedicles stuck out a bit. It worked fine for cooking the flesh off, but unfortunately it left the stains you see in the pictures.

After I simmered it, I degreased and then did several hydrogen peroxide treatments. Nothing seems to get these two spots white.

Please share any suggestions you may have. This has been sitting in my basement for a year now, I need to get it hung before my kids destroy it!!

Thanks!!

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

dotman

WKR
Have you tried bleach paste? Research it as if done too long it can ruin the skull I believe.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
I've always heard you shouldn't use bleach of any kind. Does anyone have experience with this? I'll give it a go but want to know if anyone has successfully used it.

What I did use was the hydrogen peroxide powder mixed with hydrogen peroxide liquid. (The beauty salon stuff that I see recommended everywhere, not the Wal-Mart HO)

jmez

WKR
I would try sandpaper. Those stains are down in the bone and I don't think any surface agents will remove them. There is a lot of bone in that area, should be able to sand it all away.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I would hang it. I my self don't mind a little color on the skull.
The 40% peroxide I use is a paste/gel> I brush it on and it sticks where I put it. What ever you put it on lightens.

I'm very much a rookie at the Eureo process but after reading several articles I used the Creme Developer from the Salon. I'd read the powder (which I also used) mainly thickens the developer. I also found through trial and error that wrapping it in cellophane after applying it helped. I never found many articles on how long to leave it on and I left it on for at least 24 hrs and it turned out great. So if you've not done that you may try it.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
It does not appear to be a stain that can be whitened with peroxide, but left over grease in the skull from it not being properly submerged while boiling. You might need to submerge it in gas or other chemical degreaser to get it out. If you do this be prepared to have a smelly skull for a while. If you want to try something not so strong try to get a large tub and fill it will hot water and borax and a degreasing dish wash and have the skull submerged for roughly a week or so. You might want to change the water out every few days with hot water again just to aid in the breaking down of the grease and additional help in pulling it out. It might not get it all out, but it should do a pretty good job. If you are still not happy with it take a little sponge and white paint and just dab it lightly on the area, not painting a thick layer, but just blending it in with the rest of the skull. Make sure to get a larger pot for next year. Good luck!