Exhausted Ankles

JMarbs

FNG
Just got back from Colorado and I’ve been rocking the salomon quest 4d gtx for the last 4 years. I’ve been happy with them, but this year by mid afternoon, my ankles were “tired”(?). I’m not very excited about jumping up to a heavy/beefier boot, but is that what I need if I’m feeling that way each day?

D S 319

WKR
Work on ankle stability and strength first if you don’t want to make the jump.

Also not familiar with those boots but I know my speed crosses had terrible insoles I replaced them with my old kenetrek ones. 4 years out of a cheaper pair of boots such as those is pretty solid.

Last edited:
Same pair the past 4 years? Never had this issue during that time period (before now)? Any changes (health or injury) prior to the issue? Same hunting area or was CO completely new?

OP
J

JMarbs

FNG
Same pair the past 4 years? Never had this issue during that time period (before now)? Any changes (health or injury) prior to the issue? Same hunting area or was CO completely new?
Same area. I averaged 2-3 miles more per day, and they weren’t easy miles.

Poser

WKR
A full leather heavy duty boot is good for about 800-1200 miles before technically needing a resole. A lighter duty boot such as this is going to be more in the 400-800 miles range and can probably not be resoled. It’s likely the case that the boot sole is shot regardless of what condition the rest of the boot may appear to be in.

The actual supportive life of most footwear is significantly less than most people think.

svivian

WKR
Just my .02 I had a pair for 3 years and loved them but one of the things i noticed was the ankle support disappeared by then. Felt like i was wearing a tennis shoe. I would replace them or look for a different brand.

I went to Lowas which are not as comfortable but much more durable.

A full leather heavy duty boot is good for about 800-1200 miles before technically needing a resole. A lighter duty boot such as this is going to be more in the 400-800 miles range and can probably not be resoled. It’s likely the case that the boot sole is shot regardless of what condition the rest of the boot may appear to be in.

The actual supportive life of most footwear is significantly less than most people think.
Yep. Is worse for running shoes where you should be replacing them every 2-3 months (300-500 miles).

dtrkyman

WKR
I hunted a steep nasty spot for a few days withe light hikers, my ankles were killing me and I have zero injuries or previous issues. Switched over to a heavy mountain boot the next day and bingo, problem solved!

Just not enough support in that terrrain from the light hikers!

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
My original set of Salomon quests were awesome, my last couple of pairs are not as good. I wear Lowas more but Crispi’s and Scarpas are my go to boots for hunting in bad country. They have way better ankle support and have never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run salomons crispi colorados and lowa tibets.

Each has its niche

I work as an industrial electrician and am on concrete 60 hours + a week. Ladder work is the norm. I wear lowa tibets for work and my feet are no problem at age 58.

Quests are my go-to boot, but I go through a pair about every 18 months. I like the fit and feel of the boots, so I’m willing to pay to replace them.

I have other high-end boots, but for hiking and everyday wear, I like the Quests.

In my opinion, boots like the Quests are consumables. I wouldn’t expect the same performance out of Crispis, but for the role they fill the Quests are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk