Expandable head elk success

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Now that we have them legal in Idaho (regardless of how we got here).I’ve been doing my research has anyone one had success with sevr 1.5 , grim reaper pro or g5 dead meat. Or I would take other recommendations of successful hunters. Just to head of the naysayers, I get the drawback’s and know there limitations. I’m shooting 70 plus pound 30 inch inline 5 total arrow weight will be over 475 to 550 depending on arrow choice. I figure I’ll have enough behind the arrow to be successful on well placed shot’s.

I had great results on a bull years ago with an Ulmer Edge (predecessor to the SEVR). Good blood trail, quick kill. As you said, certainly drawbacks, but a well placed shot will get the job done with a SEVR.

I used the grim reaper razor cut last year on a cow. It did the job fast with a lung shot, but I was less then satisfied with it and wouldn't use them again.
It just didn't go deep, still double lung, failed to exit. Broadhead was destroyed as well.

The g5 I used before blew right through and kept trucking. Sharpened it up and took an antelope later on with it.

70 lb bow.

Last edited:
I’ve shot a couple javelina with grim reaper fatal steels with less than great results. I’m confident a fixed blade would have passed through while the grim reapers didn’t. The sevr is one of the few mechanicals I’d consider

I had great results on a bull years ago with an Ulmer Edge (predecessor to the SEVR). Good blood trail, quick kill. As you said, certainly drawbacks, but a well placed shot will get the job done with a SEVR.
I used the ulmers on a few bulls and they worked to my satisfaction. No complaints really.

Now that we have them legal in Idaho (regardless of how we got here).I’ve been doing my research has anyone one had success with sevr 1.5 , grim reaper pro or g5 dead meat. Or I would take other recommendations of successful hunters. Just to head of the naysayers, I get the drawback’s and know there limitations. I’m shooting 70 plus pound 30 inch inline 5 total arrow weight will be over 475 to 550 depending on arrow choice. I figure I’ll have enough behind the arrow to be successful on well placed shot’s.

Sorry I hope I’m not detailing the thread…

This is the first I’ve heard about this. I did a quick google search and couldn’t find anything. Mind posting a link?

As far as expandables go, I’ve used the sevr with success. I’ve killed two deer with them and had no issues. Lusk archery has a test video for the 1.5s. They performed really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your odds of something screwing up upon impact with a mechanical, no matter the brand, are higher than a fixed. It's just that simple and Elk are not deer and there are loads of issues with mechanical and shooting deer over the years on all the whitetail states. So compound those issues with a bigger and thicker boned animal. It's just odds and statistics that would clearly show more game loss with the introduction of mechanicals to the field here in Idaho. Guess people are ok with that. Cool.

I'm not a fan of 1.5" 2-blade heads, but both the 3-blade 1.5" cut Spitfires and GR Fatal Steels have been devastating on animals for me. I still keep a couple Exodus heads in my quiver, but I love those two mechanicals. I'm shooting a 500gr arrow at almost 33" draw and 75lbs, so plenty of energy. However.......my arrow stopped against an offside rib with the Fatal Steel on my CO moose two years ago. So even with my specs......no pass through. Still devastating......but would like to have two holes if possible. Come to think of it........I've never had a pass through with those heads, but they sure tear up the lungs.

Your odds of something screwing up upon impact with a mechanical, no matter the brand, are higher than a fixed. It's just that simple and Elk are not deer and there are loads of issues with mechanical and shooting deer over the years on all the whitetail states. So compound those issues with a bigger and thicker boned animal. It's just odds and statistics that would clearly show more game loss with the introduction of mechanicals to the field here in Idaho. Guess people are ok with that. Cool.
I'm an expandable fan but you aren't wrong. I do it for several reasons I'll keep to myself. My opinion is unless a person is shooting very high KE, they shouldn't be shooting them at elk. However, the horror stories of failures need to be taken with a grain of salt. I have taken over 100 big game animals with various brands and styles and have never had a failure. With some early models I had blades break upon contact of heavy bone but I also had that happen with the original satellite fixed blades I started out with. I have gone through shoulders on several deer and one elk with the heads I mentioned above with no issue.

My point is there are a lot of variables in archery hunting and modern expandables are as dependable as most of the other bells and whistles guys are putting on their bows these days.

I will stick with my fixed heads after putting in a lot of work to get them shooting good groups. I wonder if the decreased terminal performance of expandable broadheads will be evened out from increased accuracy by the guys shooting out of tune bows and under spined arrows that spray fixed broadheads everywhere.
Does this mean lighted knocks are now legal as well?

Glad the legislature decided to tackle this before the laundry list of actually important things they should be working on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Glad the legislature decided to tackle this before the laundry list of actually important things they should be working on.
Was it the state legislature that made this change? I can't imagine something like this having to go up to the legislature to be changed. I would think the game commission or something would be able to make those changes on their own????? The legislature doesn't need to waste their time with this kind of stuff.

I wonder if the decreased terminal performance of expandable broadheads will be evened out from increased accuracy by the guys shooting out of tune bows and under spined arrows that spray fixed broadheads everywhere.

Oregon changed its laws to allow mechanical broadheads a few years ago, and I did some of the research for us that lead to this decision. rclouse79's point was a main theme in my research.

I see many out of tune setups at our public ranges in the weeks leading up to bow season. I believe that poor shot placement is a much bigger concern than the likelihood of mechanical broadhead failure. So, if mechanicals can improve shot placement by creating less front-end drag on the arrow, that's a win in my book.

The classic study on fixed vs. mechs over time was done at the Naval Support Facility Indian Head. Yes, just deer, but we see that even back then mechs were not showing some abysmal failure rate. Obviously, you need to shoot enough KE to get the mechs to work well, especially on elk.

Dynamic arrow flight is another thing to consider and doesn't the attention it should. It seems many guys are focused on shooting micro diameter arrows with high FOC, which some of the latest Firenock podcasts claim are not optimal for high speed compound bows shooting carbon arrows. Dorge claims that micro diameter arrows are losing energy more downrange energy than a standard .246 arrow because the micros have thicker walls and take longer to "recover". As a result, these super skinny arrows are not entering the animal as straight as they could at typical bow ranges (20 -30 yards) and perhaps bending on impact more than a standard arrow. By contrast, a standard diameter arrow tends to recover by 18 yards and will enter the animal straight and stay straighter -- thus more penetration and better broadhead performance.

Splitting hairs here it seems, but I wonder if inefficient arrow flight and flex could influence so-called mechanical broadhead failures. If an arrow hits at an oblique angle, the broadhead isn't going to work as well no matter if you shoot mechs or fixed.

Was it the state legislature that made this change? I can't imagine something like this having to go up to the legislature to be changed. I would think the game commission or something would be able to make those changes on their own????? The legislature doesn't need to waste their time with this kind of stuff.
They bypassed the commission. This went through the legislature

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PS, I shoot SEVR 1.5" heads but have killed all my bulls with a QAD Exodus fixed head. Will hopefully shoot one with the SEVR this year and might even try a 1.7" cut since a my long draw length (31.5") puts my KE at like 90 ft. lbs.

PS, I shoot SEVR 1.5" heads but have killed all my bulls with a QAD Exodus fixed head. Will hopefully shoot one with the SEVR this year and might even try a 1.7" cut since a my long draw length (31.5") puts my KE at like 90 ft. lbs.
I would not go for the 1.7" cut

Back