Expandable head elk success

OP
Shawn_Guinn

Shawn_Guinn

Lil-Rokslider
Killed multiple bulls with the t3 before the dead meats was a thing. When it came out switched to it worked great killed multiple bulls with it. Had a buddy have a hard track job with one now he only shoots fixed heads. I wasn’t with him but to me the arrow looked mid mass so back a little to far. Now I shoot the raptor trick head have killed multiple bulls with it. I love that head it’s designed to slip thru the first ribs without loosing a bunch of energy. I know I’m giving up a little bit on my entrance cut but I feel the arrow is less likely to deflect or do crazy things. It’s thought enough for me I have posted pictures on here before of that broadhead sticking out of a bulls shoulder blade on the exit side. End of the day trust what’s on your arrow and hope you put it in the money the bull die in under 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the post, I’ll checkout raptor tricks as well. I will most likely keep tooth of the arrows in my quiver as well as a expandable heads. For just that reason, trusting what I know. I like to try new things as well so why not solicit advice from those who have had success with products new to me?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Killed multiple bulls with the t3 before the dead meats was a thing. When it came out switched to it worked great killed multiple bulls with it.
I tried a pack of the T3's several years back. Every single one of those heads wobbled so badly that I never could have put them in my quiver. Did they fix that with the Dead Meat?

The first mechanical head that I put in my quiver was the 125gr Spitfires. I was actually looking for the 125gr Grim Reapers, but these were on sale for $19.99/pack so brought them home to test them out. The spin test is always my first test. All three were perfect. I took one head and shot it four times at my 3" bullseye at 60 yards. All four times it was fully within the circle or cutting the edge. Then I checked the blade sharpness of the other two out of the package.......impressive. So I did my 3/4" plywood testing straight on and angled......the head blew through each time, and the blades were still intact. Then I shot a bull that fall that left the most impressive blood trail I've ever seen.....on a quartering away one hole shot. I was sold.

Finished off the archery super slam last year. Last 5 animals were taken with a 65# and 29” draw bow shooting 473 gr Easton 330 Carbon Injexions at 275 fps., 16% FOC. All were tipped with NAP original 100 gr 3-blade 1.5” Spitfires. Polar bear was the largest followed by a Mt Caribou, Tule Elk, Central Barren Ground Caribou and Dall Sheep. Excellent blood trails on all, pass throughs on all but the bear, hit the offside shoulder. Conditions varied from steep mountain angles, uneven footing, -40* etc and accuracy was excellent. Shots ranged from 30 yds on the polar bear to 55 yds on the Mt caribou (DIY) and Dall sheep.

The Prime Rival is well tuned. Could have used any head on the market but stuck with a now 25 year old design….done by an aeronautical engineer (Andy Simo). The combo of broadhead and arrow is adequately tough, spins well, penetrates well, hits behind the pin in tough conditions, comes thru when the chips are on the table.

Shot 5 black bears and 3 Coues bucks with similar results with them.

Previously had used an Ulmer edge 1.5” two blade for a season or two. Did not like the blood trail with them. Killed a Blacktail, Roosevelt Elk, Grizzly and a few deer and one black bear so had some experience. Similar bow setup but a bit slower. They were very accurate but required sharpening out of the package.

Last edited:

cgasner1

WKR
I tried a pack of the T3's several years back. Every single one of those heads wobbled so badly that I never could have put them in my quiver. Did they fix that with the Dead Meat?

The first mechanical head that I put in my quiver was the 125gr Spitfires. I was actually looking for the 125gr Grim Reapers, but these were on sale for $19.99/pack so brought them home to test them out. The spin test is always my first test. All three were perfect. I took one head and shot it four times at my 3" bullseye at 60 yards. All four times it was fully within the circle or cutting the edge. Then I checked the blade sharpness of the other two out of the package.......impressive. So I did my 3/4" plywood testing straight on and angled......the head blew through each time, and the blades were still intact. Then I shot a bull that fall that left the most impressive blood trail I've ever seen.....on a quartering away one hole shot. I was sold.

They changed the clips from the t3 to the dead meat so it took that rattle noise out of them. The last bull I shot with a dead meat I shot twice the second arrow was at 112 yards complete pass thru never found it
Guess I should also say first arrow was at about 50 he was standing there dead.

S.Clancy

WKR
Take this with a grain of salt but I believe the 1.5" are the best designed. I have not heard(key word) good things about the 1.7" but hopefully those who have used it can chime in. I have had no issues with the 1.5" sevr so far.
I've shot 2 big bulls with the 1.7" and 3 antelope. Performance has been good. That said, I still carry both fixed and SEVR in my quiver. Setup is 525 gr arrow @275-276 fps

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Now that we have them legal in Idaho (regardless of how we got here).I’ve been doing my research has anyone one had success with sevr 1.5 , grim reaper pro or g5 dead meat. Or I would take other recommendations of successful hunters. Just to head of the naysayers, I get the drawback’s and know there limitations. I’m shooting 70 plus pound 30 inch inline 5 total arrow weight will be over 475 to 550 depending on arrow choice. I figure I’ll have enough behind the arrow to be successful on well placed shot’s.
I've killed mule deer and elk with SEVR 1.5's. You'll be getting passthroughs easy with your DL/DW and finished arrow weight. Just put it in the right spot ; )

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider
Question for some of you guys. Going on a elk hunt next year, run the 2.0 sevr or switch to something else ? My setup is moving a 525 grain arrow 290 fps

I've been bowhunting for 39 years and have used almost entirely fixed broadheads.

Three years ago I used a Sevr 2.1 on a bull elk in WY and got a complete pass through. Had to pull the arrow out of the ground behind the bull. He ran 60 yds and left a heavy blood trail. Shot distance was 50 yards and bull was broadside. Hit behind the shoulder. Bow is 65#, drawing 29.5". Arrow is 470 gr. I sharpened the blades and touched up the tip.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot another elk with a Sevr. I carry the Sevr for longer shots in more open terrain and fixed blades for closer shots in heavier cover, like dark timber. I do this because the fixed blades allow me to shoot through some grass or light brush. You can't shoot through any kind of cover with a mechanical.

87TT

WKR
I read the bill that was passed. I am not an expert on all the mechanicals but I didn't see where they addressed the "barbed " broadhead rule? Can't use QAD Exodus swept?

87TT

WKR
I guess we are going to need another "emergency" bill, huh? That's what happens when idiot legislators get involved.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Question for some of you guys. Going on a elk hunt next year, run the 2.0 sevr or switch to something else ? My setup is moving a 525 grain arrow 290 fps

I'd personally shoot the 1.5" instead of the 2.1" on anything bigger than deer. 525g at 290fps is a friggin hammer of a setup. You must have a long DL/high DW.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'd personally shoot the 1.5" instead of the 2.1" on anything bigger than deer. 525g at 290fps is a friggin hammer of a setup. You must have a long DL/high DW.
Having tried the 1.5" on a quartering away shot that got liver and probably only one lung, I wouldn't use any two blade less that 2" again. Penetration wasn't an issue. It blew through like it hit hot butter from 54 yards, and even blew through the offside humerus and went another 20 yards into the ground. But we lost the blood trail after dark, came back in the morning, and found where he last bedded but was gone from there. Not another drop of blood after that. Eventually found him much later 300 yards from there in a brush filled ravine that was about 120 degrees off of the direction he had been going.

I've had several similar shots with 3-blade fixed and 3-blade mechanical heads and those elk haven't made it 100 yards. Not sure how the 2" would have done in the same situation, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. Completely broadside........I'm sure the 1.5" will work just fine though.

TheFool

Lil-Rokslider

29.25” draw and 84.5 lb PSE XF but thanks man. Appreciate it

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
Having tried the 1.5" on a quartering away shot that got liver and probably only one lung, I wouldn't use any two blade less that 2" again. Penetration wasn't an issue. It blew through like it hit hot butter from 54 yards, and even blew through the offside humerus and went another 20 yards into the ground. But we lost the blood trail after dark, came back in the morning, and found where he last bedded but was gone from there. Not another drop of blood after that. Eventually found him much later 300 yards from there in a brush filled ravine that was about 120 degrees off of the direction he had been going.

I've had several similar shots with 3-blade fixed and 3-blade mechanical heads and those elk haven't made it 100 yards. Not sure how the 2" would have done in the same situation, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. Completely broadside........I'm sure the 1.5" will work just fine though.
1.5" will quickly kill anything walking this planet if you put it where its supposed to go ; )

I get what you mean though. On a marginal shot, would you rather have a bigger cut or deeper penetration? I guess that depends on the species and your past experiences with marginal shots. If it was deer, I'd want the cut. Bigger critters than deer, I want penetration.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
1.5" will quickly kill anything walking this planet if you put it where its supposed to go ; )

I get what you mean though. On a marginal shot, would you rather have a bigger cut or deeper penetration? I guess that depends on the species and your past experiences with marginal shots. If it was deer, I'd want the cut. Bigger critters than deer, I want penetration.
So you're calling a quartering away shot "marginal"???? If I had to guess I'd say that about 3/4's of all my elk shots have been quartering away, and the 1.5" Ulmer was the only one that seemed to have a problem with a quick kill. And I'm one of those guys that doesn't have any problems with penetration given my long draw length, heavy draw weight, and 500+ grain arrows. Most of these BH's bury into the offside shoulder.

cgasner1

WKR
To the op you need to put something on the front of that arrow you are 100% confident in. I will not shoot a fixed head at a animal I have my reason what I’ve seen in the field no one will ever convince me otherwise. That my choice the head I shoot I have 100% faith in it. If I do my part so will it I know that head won’t fail me. Find something you feel that way about and stick with it

nphunter

WKR
Thanks for the replies I think sevr gets the nod. Might buy 3 g5 dead meats as well and try them both.
I’ve killed my last two bulls with the dead meat. I really like the small design and how well they are hidden by the quiver. I shot Trypans prior and the performed awesome on the animals but busting brush I broke several collars and had to replace them. It never cost an opportunity or anything but it is annoying to have a blade deploy in the quiver.
The dead meat have been awesome and have made short work of the elk I’ve shot with them.

nphunter

WKR
29.25” draw and 84.5 lb PSE XF but thanks man. Appreciate it

I’m shooting a 500gr arrow 280fps and have had great luck with both Trypans and Dead Meats. You’ll have zero issues with any head you decide to shoot.