Expandable head elk success

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
So you're calling a quartering away shot "marginal"???? If I had to guess I'd say that about 3/4's of all my elk shots have been quartering away, and the 1.5" Ulmer was the only one that seemed to have a problem with a quick kill. And I'm one of those guys that doesn't have any problems with penetration given my long draw length, heavy draw weight, and 500+ grain arrows. Most of these BH's bury into the offside shoulder.
I must have misunderstood you. I actually thought you were saying it was a marginal shot, and so you wanted a bigger cut. I love quartering away shots! Carry on.

A Black Hornet is an AWESOME broadhead as are all Magnus heads.
If that’s true, a lot of mechanical heads are awesome too… a 4 blade magnus is a weak design compared to lots of heads… I would put their durability with middle of the road mechanical heads… that split aluminum ferrule is a weak design. I like most things about magnus besides their crappy split ferrules on the 4 blades… I know a bull that would love to buy Mike a beer though

Attachments

• 0FCD373F-8D7D-4F90-BD58-71975F317CB2.jpeg
    0FCD373F-8D7D-4F90-BD58-71975F317CB2.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 31
Why does Firenock think FOC is silly?

It's more so in the way FOC is applied, thought to be. FOC can be a negative if the shaft is not stabilized.

Why does Firenock think micro diameter shafts are bad?

Again, it's the way .166 shafts are applied. Many in my experience throw tons of tip weight on a thick heavy walled shaft which adds to a problem. With better components it can help unless the shooter can tune the bow / arrow so well , but imo that is few and far between considering that shaft. Note, Firenock manufactures .166 shafts..

Bias motivation for sale is a moot point. Using that logic no one should talk about any product. Fact is Firenock is an educational based product. Some of the sources Firenock used to developed product are some of the best in the world in their given field. Many people don't know Dorge's background. It's in miltary defense contracts, directed at ballistic missile. He has numerouse degrees including in the field of nuclear chemistry if I recall right.

In my experience, building arrows as profession full time for the last several years, being one of the ones who has done high speed video for Firenock which is public so far I found no nonsense. Actually ,the recovery of an arrow can be as little as 4-8 inches in some cases as compared to 9-15ft as orignally thought.
how bout that traumahawk? :ROFLMAO:

when he released that head, there was no more taking him seriously (like ashby)..... those 2 are like Catlyn and Bruce Jenner

Last edited:
Question for some of you guys. Going on a elk hunt next year, run the 2.0 sevr or switch to something else ? My setup is moving a 525 grain arrow 290 fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's a lot of energy in that arrow.... i think you would be fine with any broadhead that would survive an elk. if it's tuned good, i can't imagine poor penetration with a 2" sevr.

i don't have a clue on my arrow speed, but i'm shooting a mach 1@73# 28.5" and a 552gr arrow currently, i was thinking about getting a few sevrs to try, and i like the design of the robusto, so that's probably what i'll get.... i killed elk for several years with a 380gr arrow and a muzzy out of an untuned bow... i didn't know any better, and the roosies sure the heck didn't either.... i can't imagine worse performance with my setup these days with a 2" expandable.... that's my baseline, and it's hard to do worse than i used to.... magically never had any problems shooting through elk

If that’s true, a lot of mechanical heads are awesome too… a 4 blade magnus is a weak design compared to lots of heads… I would put their durability with middle of the road mechanical heads… that split aluminum ferrule is a weak design. I like most things about magnus besides their crappy split ferrules on the 4 blades… I know a bull that would love to buy Mike a beer though
Hmm I’ve never seen that one from Magnus. Definitely not a fan of that design.

Hmm I’ve never seen that one from Magnus. Definitely not a fan of that design.
Same year I killed a bull with a 150gr buzzcut 4 blade, first shot quartered away and I got about 1/2 arrow penetration… luckily I got a second arrow in that bull and ended things quick

The first arrow had a bunch of hair wedged between the ferrule and blade which killed my penetration

You would expect a 642gr arrow (which is what I shot that year) would blow through any bull if ribs were the biggest bone encountered… he was the satellite to that 7x8 that folded up that magnus about a week prior… that big bull kept running that bull I killed off, and the closest I could get to the big bull was about 60yds.

There were 2 days left and the second time he chased that bull inside 30yds to me I decided his fate was made… magnus almost turned that one into a rodeo too… never again

If I’m going to shoot a head that could get messed up by an elk, might as well cut a big ass hole in the process

Don’t know if I’ll have the balls to shoot another mechanical at an elk, but if I do, it will be a sevr, it’s a step up in durability to a 4 blade magnus

VLDAVE

FNG
how bout that traumahawk? :ROFLMAO:

when he released that head, there was no more taking him seriously (like ashby)..... those 2 are like Catlyn and Bruce Jenner

I shot a deer and turkey with the t-hawk,, worked fine.. I know a few others that also use it.. The T-hawk was intended to be used to Aero Concept system bolt with Aero Vane .. I have the T-hawk in high speed video at over 5,000 frames per second on a 1.0 system mid-line bolt build going into dyed water at close range.. In all essence the T-hawk produces hydro dynamic cavitation instantly. The blade is 4mm thick...

I shot a deer and turkey with the t-hawk,, worked fine.. I know a few others that also use it.. The T-hawk was intended to be used to Aero Concept system bolt with Aero Vane .. I have the T-hawk in high speed video at over 5,000 frames per second on a 1.0 system mid-line bolt build going into dyed water at close range.. In all essence the T-hawk produces hydro dynamic cavitation instantly. The blade is 4mm thick...
I know the concept

VLDAVE

FNG
Why would I? Haha

I don’t subscribe to a lot of his ideas… certainly a smart dude, but I stand by what I said, him and Ashby are like Bruce and Caitlin Jenner… very different but exactly the same

Ok,, so you have zero experience with in the least a Truama-hawk and an Aero Bolt 2G with concept system. However you admit Dorge is a smart dude, but for reasons unknown , not by experience,, you don't subscribe to Dorge's "ideas" and you use analogies of Bruce Jenner and Chatline Jenner as a basis while you standby what you said that have no foundation other than criticism based on nothing more than speculation..

Thanks for clarification..

Ok,, so you have zero experience with in the least a Truama-hawk and an Aero Bolt 2G with concept system. However you admit Dorge is a smart dude, but for reasons unknown , not by experience,, you don't subscribe to Dorge's "ideas" and you use analogies of Bruce Jenner and Chatline Jenner as a basis while you standby what you said that have no foundation other than criticism based on nothing more than speculation..

Thanks for clarification..
Any time

I think Ashby is a smart dude too, but he also started drinking his own koolaid and went off the rails. Smart only gets you so far if you get caught up in your own BS

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
that's a lot of energy in that arrow.... i think you would be fine with any broadhead that would survive an elk. if it's tuned good, i can't imagine poor penetration with a 2" sevr.
Yep. I even buried an arrow into the offside shoulder on a big bull on a hard quartering away shot through the bale of hay inside him with a 125gr Spitfire from 59 yards. Plenty of energy and capability with his setup with most any mechanical.

Now that we have them legal in Idaho (regardless of how we got here).I’ve been doing my research has anyone one had success with sevr 1.5 , grim reaper pro or g5 dead meat. Or I would take other recommendations of successful hunters. Just to head of the naysayers, I get the drawback’s and know there limitations. I’m shooting 70 plus pound 30 inch inline 5 total arrow weight will be over 475 to 550 depending on arrow choice. I figure I’ll have enough behind the arrow to be successful on well placed shot’s.
I have shot a pile of deer with both mechanicals and fixed, including the sevr 2.0, and the G5 dead meat. Only ever shot turkeys with grim reapers mechanicals so far (whitetail special) but I like them all a lot for different reasons. I chose to move away from The g5 for deer when I had one that one of the blades did not open. Recovered the deer in 40 yards, but I was not excited to see that. They flew amazing and were durable enough but I think on the angle I made the shot the one blade did not grab hide and the hole opened up in just the right way to not allow it to open. I had 7 great experiences with that head, but that one was enough for me to adjust.

The grim reaper whitetail special was awesome on turkeys, but the aluminum ferrule will bend on hard impact and after killing a few turkeys with them and having them come back bent I chose to not use that specific head on deer, not that it wouldn't work I just don't love longer aluminum ferrules personally. I want to love their mechanicals but just can't get past the aluminum ferrule of some of their models. The fatal steel really interests me, but I'd like a bigger cut if I'm going to shoot a mechanical.

Personally the Sevr is the mechanical broadhead I trust most in the world. I have shot rage classics, extremes, trypans and hypos, swhackers, G5 t3, dead meat and megameat with varying successes and failures (not all failures result in lost animals) and I have come to the conclusion that SEVR is the one I would pick for just about anything. In one year, I shot a bear, 3 deer and a turkey with the same head and between the turkey and the bear only needed to sharpen the blades, changed them out for the deer. Still have that head, and it's my first up in the quiver after it took 2 more deer last year and saved my bacon on my biggest buck of my life when my arrow landed 4 inches off the mark.

I'm lucky to have 31 inch draw, 74 pounds 520 grain arrow so I have never had an issue with penetration (other than once with a swhacker that I took a poor shot angle as a young bold hunter and the ferrule bent 90 degrees, and once with a hypo that lost both blades and made it through the shoulder of a buck but left a pin prick on the off side and required a second shot to put him down in his bed, turns out you can kill them with a field tip but man it aint right)

This fall my quiver will have grim reaper micro hades 4 blades for elk with 2 sevr 1.5s as backup in case something really wild happens, and for deer and antelope it will be sevr 2.0s and a couple bigger fixed blades for stand hunting whitetails

Not that my opinion matters, and plenty of guys tip over more critters than I do every year but this is what I have found to be the most reliable based on my experience. I'm a tinkering fool and will shoot them all testing for flight, durability but come season I just grab the SEVRs. Got my dad on them, as well as my brother and 3 of my hunting buddies.

Keep in mind, I haven't killed an elk with anything so my opinion could be just about invalid when it comes to that... but hey its the internet and I'm at work thinking about elk hunting.

Last edited:
I will stick with my fixed heads after putting in a lot of work to get them shooting good groups. I wonder if the decreased terminal performance of expandable broadheads will be evened out from increased accuracy by the guys shooting out of tune bows and under spined arrows that spray fixed broadheads everywhere.
Does this mean lighted knocks are now legal as well?
yes lighted nocks are legal now too!