Faith in Archer's Advantage Spine Selector?

I just started used the online version of Archer's Advantage this year. So far it seems to be close, but I've heard that the spine selector isn't perfect. I'm wanting to try the Valkyrie system on VAP 350s. I'm shooting an 80# Hyperforce at 26.5", arrow cut length is 25" carbon to carbon. If I use an aluminum centerpin sleeve, glue on adapter, and 160 gr Cutthroat, that's ~310 up front. Archer's Advantage is telling me that I will be on the high side of optimum spine with the 350, which is right where I want to be. Is the software fairly reliable, or am I better off with a 300 spine arrow? I've been shooting Zelor 350s cut at 25.5" carbon to carbon, and with 245 gr total up front I'm getting good broadhead flight (with a giant Zwickey 2 blade) with them. Basically I need a way to quantify how much the additional 65 grains up front will affect the spine of the arrow, hopefully before I buy a bunch of sleeves and shafts. Thanks.

Brendan

WKR
So, for what it's worth, running it through OnTarget2 has you way underspined unless I ran the numbers wrong. Running at 80lb with 310 grain up front it even puts the 300 spine shaft as weak, with an ideal around 275-280 spine. Then again, a 350 with 245 grain up front is listed as underspined too and that's working for you. Neither of those mean you can't get them to tune, but probably aren't optimal.

My experience - I've always stayed on the ideal to stiff side of the recommendations, so can't really tell you how far you can push it without having issues.

I'm wanting to try the Valkyrie system on VAP 350s. I'm shooting an 80# Hyperforce at 26.5", arrow cut length is 25" carbon to carbon. If I use an aluminum centerpin sleeve, glue on adapter, and 160 gr Cutthroat, that's ~310 up front.

You might reach out to Valkyrie and get their “opinion”. Since they offer a complete arrow build, they probably are used to running spine calculations.

I started a conversation with them as I consider going to a micro diameter with significant F.O.C. They were more than willing to engage me and educate me about their product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use Archers Advantage for everything and I think their spine calculations are close, but not perfect, which is like every other product out there.

Just reading your set up, it seems like it could be under spined. I know arrows are personal, but what is the rational of having 300+ grains up front? Is this set up for some type of dangerous game or is it just a preference thing?

OP
PathFinder
I use Archers Advantage for everything and I think their spine calculations are close, but not perfect, which is like every other product out there.

Just reading your set up, it seems like it could be under spined. I know arrows are personal, but what is the rational of having 300+ grains up front? Is this set up for some type of dangerous game or is it just a preference thing?
Because light arrows suck. There is no physical advantage to having less weight up front, and every advantage to having more. It gives me the ability to shoot through animals on any angle.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because light arrows suck. There is no physical advantage to having less weight up front, and every advantage to having more. It gives me the ability to shoot through animals on any angle.

Sounds like you have it all figured out then for your set up.

PMcGee

WKR
I think you typed in something wrong. I ran your numbers using blazers and you're underspined. 300s are optimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
PathFinder
I think you typed in something wrong. I ran your numbers using blazers and you're underspined. 300s are optimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I think you're right about that. It's something to do with the bow information. When I just put in the bow and IBO speed, it gives me an unrealistically high velocity but I think gives the correct spine. When I put in the actual arrow speed, it shows me being able to shoot too light of a spine. Thanks for running the numbers. I talked to Brent and he got me lined out, I'll start testing next week.

2blade

WKR
I use both AA and OT2, although ot2 needs to be updated which is a pita. Generally they are pretty close to the same in recommendations but AA has a flaw and that is, it thinks added weight to the nock end of the arrow weakens the spine when it actually stiffens it. Ot2 has it right in this regard. AA speeds are generally 10fps faster than ot2 as well and my chrono tends to agree with ot2 more often than not. AA also thinks fmj shafts are weaker than an Axis in the same spine, I don't know if that is true or not but fmj's shoot well for me weak or not. Overall they are a good place to start but are not perfect.