Favorite early season pant?

What’s your favorite early season pant? Been running the FL corrugate the last few years, love them but too warm during opener. and Prana Zions don’t fit me right so theyre out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, the Wrangler Outdoor Stretch Cargo ($22 at Walmart) are my go-to pants nowadays for most of the year. I have (and wear in late season with merino base) FL Corrugate Guide Pants. Damaging a $22 pant doesn't make me cry like a $120 pair. The Corrugates are a good deal tougher though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to say that I tried the Pranas and prefer the fit of the Wranglers for being active since they dont bunch up on my thighs and up my crack as much. I feel like Pranas would work better for guys with a smaller thigh:waist ratio than me. Wranglers are more a relaxed fit that's possibly not as "stylish" for around town.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rm06

WKR
Breatheability is the most important feature for me so merino wool gets the nod. The latest iteration of the First Lite Obsidian is a lot closer to a well-proportioned fit vs the older version of the same pant and the Kanabs.

Even in the lightest weight nylon or other synthetic pant, hiking around all day in the warm weather makes for sweaty legs and uncomfortable sleeping conditions

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The old style Cabela's Microtex Lite material is the best early season material I've found......if you can find them. I paid $20 each when I bought them new on clearance, but would pay $200 now if I could find another pair that still has it's unhemmed length of 37".

Napperm4

WKR
I have or had Sitka ascent, Predator, first lite corrugates, obsidians, Kuiu Tiburon, Kutana and attacks.

My favourite for warm to hot for breath ability is the Tiburon. You can hold them up to the light and see through them. They’re a perforated material with the hip vents. Throw in the stretch and they’re also the most comfortable.

I tried my first pair of Kutana pants last spring and they’re the most comfortable pants I’ve ever worn. I pretty much wear them daily. Quiet and really just move with you. Hip vents and a thin material but not perforated like the tiburons. Similar feel as the corrugates but don’t pill, the leg openings don’t make me look like I’m wearing skinny jeans and the hip vents as well as cargo pockets are great for dumping heat

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I spent a week last year early season in the mountains with the $20 Wrangler’s. I also trained a bunch with them in warm weather and did a turkey season with them. I was very impressed so I’m sticking with them and saving myself $100.

Downside: they won’t match a Camo-of-choice. If I wanted to match up Camo I’d maybe spend a bit more for a premium brand like I’ve done a lot in the past.

OldGrayJB

WKR
I like the Kings Camo XKG Ridge pant. They're quiet, light, and breathable polyester. But my favorite thing is that they have a 36 in inseam in their smaller waist sizes.

I really like the Eddie Bauer guide cargo pants. I wouldn’t buy them when they aren’t on sale because you can get them as low as $25 and regularly about $40.

gldenhwk

FNG
Prana stretch Zion pants or Outdoor Research (OR) Foray pants .. both breath really well, hold up decently especially the Foray pants, and are light weight, and I can wear them to the bar in any downtown in any city .. the nice thing about the Foray (and all OR products) is they have an unlimited warranty so any issues, including ones you caused yourself, are covered under warranty

BigPrince

FNG
Sitka Ascent or ESW have been the ticket for me. Merino under layer if needed. Go from light then add medium and heavy, then switch pants as the season goes.

Cole

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Attack Pants! Best hunting pants I've ever owned. They're a little warm but have side heat vents zips which work well. I've also heard good things about Kuiu Tiburon pants but haven't tried them.