Favorite place in Wyoming.

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
So we have an opportunity to move out of Michigan and to a state with some more hunting and outdoor opportunities.

I enjoy elk hunting, hiking and snowmobiling and looking hard at Wyoming. With the job I am applying for with-in the company I already work for I can live pretty much anywhere I want.

That being said anyone want to provide any input on favorite cities in Wyoming that aren’t Jackson (too pricey). I’m looking hard at Casper, Rock Springs and I’ve noticed some nice homes in Pinedale and Big Piney as well.

Priorities for us are outdoor recreation, schools, and some decent places to eat. Not into big towns very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recommend taking a look at an average windspeed map and basing part of your decission on that. The wind in Wyoming can be very prohibitive when it comes to outdoor recreation. Places like Buffalo, Sheridan, and some areas in the Bighorn Basin seem to have less of it. All have great hunting opportunities as well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really like Cody wyoming. That being said, I’d personally probably choose Jackson hole if I were trying to move there. I haven’t spent much time in Laramie but I sure did see a TON of elk and deer while driving towards it.

Mt Al

WKR
Sheridan! Several friends live there and love it. They're going to hate me for promoting it. Two of them, GASP!, used to live in Bozeman and like it way better, have zero desire to move back. One of them is evil and sends pictures of his deer, elk, antelope and upland game every year. It's the first place I'd look if I was moving to Wyoming. Weatherby just moved there.

jags

FNG
Spent 20 yrs in Sheridan and just moved away, that was a very difficult decision. Lots of nice places and if you can have your pick decide what you want to be close too, it's a big state to drive across all the time. LOL

Cody, Lander, Buffalo, Thermopolis, Laramie probably all worth a look too.

Jackson area super cool, super spendy too. Never got down to the southwest very often but great outdoor opportunities I'm sure. Feel free to PM if I can help you out.

Carr5vols

WKR
Dayton is a small town close enough to Sheridan for the bigger town stuff...Lord willing that is where my wheels will be heading when I retire.

Reactions: WBT

Russp17

WKR
I grew up in Wyoming to fit what you are looking for I would recommend one of the following towns:
Sheridan, Buffalo, or Laramie. Pinedale and Big Piney are nice places but small and no real variety for restaurant's if that is a sticking point. Laramie is nice more windy though. Sheridan and Buffalo less wind great access to the outdoors and a little nicer climate than some places in Wyoming.

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Small town Buckeye transplant in rural MI. Went to Powell several yrs back for work. Wide open country is unbelievable. Told the wife I’ll just stay here just pack everything and come on out. People were great multiple elk hunters ,ice climbers I talked to. several MI transplants that seemed to have forgotten all they knew about MI after moving.
Drove rental toCody(museum was fantastic) and on west another 50mi. Believe there had been a grizzley attack not far about that time.
I think I counted 6 cars from Powell to I 90 in MT the early morning I left for the Billings airport.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Pinedale is literally one of my favorite places on earth. However.... everywhere is at least a 2 hour drive away!

That’s good to here. I don’t mind driving. Looks like some nice homes for sale too.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all of the reply’s. Hoping I hear back about the job soon so I can start turning my hopes into more of a reality. House is going on the market either way, I’m ready to be out of Michigan.

On a side note as I’m typing this I’m sitting in El Paso waiting for a flight back to Michigan. This is definitely not on the list for places I want to live lol. I’m enjoying my first world problem of having too many options.

WKR
Wyoming might be going through it's biggest bust soon with mineral/gas/oil extraction going away or at least being severely restricted. Not much else to finance the state... Times are definitely changing.

204guy

WKR
Sheridan, Buffalo -anything east of the bighorns really. It isn't a bad place to live, but I sure wouldn't pick it based on access to public land hunting & fishing.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
Look into Sheridan, Buffalo, Lander, or Pinedale.

The Star Valley area is nice too, easy access to Jackson for all your dining and nightlife needs.

If you do end up getting serious about Rock Springs and have any questions let me know!

NoWiser

WKR
I’ve hunted a fair bit around Wyoming and decided that if I ever were to move there, Thermopolis would be high on my list. I liked the town and the area. It’s fairly centrally located, as well.

manitou1

WKR
Small town Buckeye transplant in rural MI. Went to Powell several yrs back for work. Wide open country is unbelievable. Told the wife I’ll just stay here just pack everything and come on out. People were great multiple elk hunters ,ice climbers I talked to. several MI transplants that seemed to have forgotten all they knew about MI after moving.
Drove rental toCody(museum was fantastic) and on west another 50mi. Believe there had been a grizzley attack not far about that time.
I think I counted 6 cars from Powell to I 90 in MT the early morning I left for the Billings airport.
An even bigger plus for Powell is it is quite a bit less expensive than Buffalo and Sheridan. I tried my darndest to convince my wife live there instead of Buffalo. We could have had the same house for $70-80k less. I also love Cody and it is just a skip from Powell.