Favorite place in Wyoming.

OP
S

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
^^ Yup. White knuckle driving when wind blows a semi out of its lane. Once saw four or five semis blown off road outside of Gillette during the start of a snow storm. Nobody could see the road. Good old days before rumble strips on the highway.

I call the white out windy conditions when you can’t see the road and using rumble strips to make sure you don’t end up in a potatoe field “driving by Braille”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphie

WKR
If specific info on hunting locations is frowned upon in public discussion then so should specific info on where to live! Sheesh!

That said South Dakota is much better than Wyoming, they have a conservative and good looking governor, the wind doesn’t blow and the hunting is undiscovered and untapped.

Fatcamp

WKR
If specific info on hunting locations is frowned upon in public discussion then so should specific info on where to live! Sheesh!

That said South Dakota is much better than Wyoming, they have a conservative and good looking governor, the wind doesn’t blow and the hunting is undiscovered and untapped.

Deer all migrated to Nebraska.

grfox92

WKR
I would strongly recommend spending time in WY in the Middle of the winter as well as the other seasons.

I am in the Cody vicinity and have heard alot of stories of folks buying houses sight unseen, or only visiting in the summer and not being physically or mentally prepared for the winter.

There was a 2 week stretch in January where the wind was so bag, we essentially could not go outside at all. Period. Just walking to and from the car was a nightmare. Imaging trying to breath with your head sticking out the window at 80MPH. I was actually nervous about windows blowing out in the house. There was a couple who moved from CA in December and during that windy period in January they had their realtor re list the house they just bought and moved back to CA.

There have been several days when we had to call off construction jobs either because the wind was too much for handling materials or the combination of high winds and slightly cold temperature made it impossible to work outside. Some days when the wind is really bad and I know I'll be outside all day I wear a rain suit just to try and block the wind to stay warm.

That's just the wind though, depending on where you are there are Grizzlys and Rattle Snakes to deal with if you just want to go for a casual walk with the dog.

There is also the issue of water. If you live outside of town, there is no public water supply, and many areas flat out don't have any water for a well to be drilled. That leaves you hauling water 200gal at a time in a tank on the back of your truck, to a cistern on your property. This is not a rarity, 1000s of people are doing this.

Now to be clear, these things don't bother me. At all. The benefits of living here outweigh the bad by a long shot for me. I absolutely love it here, but it's not for everyone.

I'm not trying to talk you out of WY if it seems that way. These are just the negatives that people don't know about untill they move here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
grfox92 hit the nail on the head.
I know several people in the Big Horn Basin that spend there Saturdays hauling water to their house because there is no option for a water well, along with other areas of the state too.
I can deal with the wind, but I have literally seen people come and go in the same month because an honest 80 mph winds is normal here. Last month we had a sustained 103 mph wind.
To add to that all the people that can now work from anywhere that want to move here, the internet service truly is boom or bust. There is fiber to the home in some communities, and other areas you CAN NOT EVEN GET DIAL UP, zero internet options, ZERO. Even the satellite internet has a waiting list because the bird that covers that geographical area is full. Hot spot off your phone is unlikely to save the day in most areas away from the interstate, because there's little to no service.

4rcgoat

WKR
High of about 1 degree most of next week here in N.eastern Wy. With a little wind its gonna get a little chilly!!

Anyone currently live in the Star Valley/Alpine/Afton area? May be buying a place out there and would love to connect with some locals.

I call the white out windy conditions when you can’t see the road and using rumble strips to make sure you don’t end up in a potatoe field “driving by Braille”

Ha! Got caught driving in a brief white out yesterday heading home from West Yellowstone. Could not see road, no lane definition at all. Vertigo while driving slow and honestly could not tell which rumble strip was center line or fog line.

robtattoo

WKR
Ha! Got caught driving in a brief white out yesterday heading home from West Yellowstone. Could not see road, no lane definition at all. Vertigo while driving slow and honestly could not tell which rumble strip was center line or fog line.

Yup. Had the same experience on 25 between Cheyenne & Casper in October. No side fences, snow covering the center median & shoulders. I literally navigated by rumble strips & waiting for a vehicle coming in the opposite direction. Honestly, the most scared I've ever been behind the wheel. I don't think i hit 20mph in 80 miles.

robtattoo

WKR
Addendum: Pinedale, whilst beautiful, averages 5 and a bit FEET of snow every year. The altitude also makes the winter temperatures silly. I've been there when it was -23° & got called a pussy for wearing my big coat.
I always think i'd love to move there, but in the cold light of self-realisation, i'm hot that damn tough. It takes truly hard, moderately insane people to live there year round.
Now I think on it, all my friends up there & everyone I've met is a little........off.

I think nowhere is safe from the bitter cold in winter in Wyoming!

It’s a trade off though: nasty cold winters = less people. It’s worked very well for that state. I wish we’d get a little more of that here sometimes.

bigv

Lil-Rokslider

Wind doesn't blow??? Lol...i bet SD ranks up high as one of most windy states. Remember, it's a prairie...few trees, no mountains. Nothing to stop it. Trust me...its windy here.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
what are the winters like in Lander? I really like the area around Afton but my impression is that it is high dollar rich folk area,,,,

4ester

WKR
what are the winters like in Lander? I really like the area around Afton but my impression is that it is high dollar rich folk area,,,,

Star Valley is a lot of Jackson overflow. But very beautiful.

Lander is a nice town, has some stores and restaurants. Sits right at the base of the mountains but a good portion are Indian reservation lands. It’s not too high of elevation, so that usually means winters aren’t as severe as the west side of the divide.

I interviewed for a job in Lander about 10 years ago. It didn’t strike me as ritzy at all. In fact; I loved it. I could have lived there easy. Riverton just up the road on the other hand... yikes.

Calcoyote

FNG
I interviewed for a job in Lander about 10 years ago. It didn’t strike me as ritzy at all. In fact; I loved it. I could have lived there easy. Riverton just up the road on the other hand... yikes.
I have heard a lot of things about Riverton from a lot of different people. None of it was good.