Feedback on Preferred Barrel Hybrid Lite for Tikka T3x Lite

Okie_Poke

FNG
Hello all. I have a Tikka T3x Lite that I use for elk and other general hunting. I like the rifle a lot. My chief complaint is that the barrel is not threaded so I can't run a suppresor on it. I'm considering options to potentially fix that, and something I saw recently was Preferred Barrel's "Hybrid Lite" prefit barrel contour. According to the drawing on Preferred's website, it's a "taperless" contour in that it necks down to .750" right after the shank and then stays at that diameter to the muzzle. Per the same drawing, it's supposed to weight about 2.8 pounds with a 26 caliber hole in it. I would order one with a 30 caliber hole. My total, field-ready rifle weight is just under 8 pounds and I don't want to add much to it.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has personal experience with this barrel contour. Do you like it? Does it upset the balance or add much weight to the factory setup? I currently have a factory stock. Does the factory stock (or an aftermarket with a factory barrel channel) need to be modified to fit the contour? Does the taperless contour look funny? What else have you noticed about it that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

I don’t have one in hand yet, but that’s what I ordered, just in 25 cal. Hopefully I get it in the next month, but their leadtime is 12-16 weeks. Interested in what other have to say as well.

OP
Okie_Poke

Okie_Poke

FNG
I don’t have one in hand yet, but that’s what I ordered, just in 25 cal. Hopefully I get it in the next month, but their leadtime is 12-16 weeks. Interested in what other have to say as well.

I'd be interested in seeing a picture of it in the stock once you have it screwed on your action, if you don't mind sharing. I'm currently finishing another project before I start changing anything on my Tikka, so this isn't something I'm trying to complete by this hunting season or anything. If I chase wapiti this year, it'll probably be with a muzzle loader.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just got one in .284cal at 19" long, its 2lb-3.9oz with the thread protector on, the upper portion matches the lite barrel so any mods the the stock will just be perhaps sanding the channel a tiny bit out in the forearm as needed to clear where the tikka barrel has tapered less than .75" already (which is minimal).

I just got one in .284cal at 19" long, its 2lb-3.9oz with the thread protector on, the upper portion matches the lite barrel so any mods the the stock will just be perhaps sanding the channel a tiny bit out in the forearm as needed to clear where the tikka barrel has tapered less than .75" already (which is minimal).
How long did you have to wait before you got yours

TheViking

WKR
I have one at the gunsmith right now.

6mm creed - 22" 5/8x24 thread on it. It weighed 43oz.

He's cerakoting the barrel, action and bedding it in a Stockys stock right now. I hope to have it back in a few weeks.

Overall impressions of the barrel were good! Excited to get some lead down range.

I'll report back and post up some pics when I have it back.

OP
Okie_Poke

Okie_Poke

FNG
Actually it tapers a just bit faster than the factor contour now that I look closer:
I appreciate the pictures. Looks like it fits in there pretty well. I just pulled my stock off and did some measuring, and it would require a bit of sanding but doesn’t look too bad.

OP
Okie_Poke

Okie_Poke

FNG
Why don't you just cut back and thread the tikka barrel?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
To elaborate more on this and what I’m thinking about, it’s my understanding that I’d have to cut the factory barrel back to about 18” before I could thread it 9/16 x 24. That’s shorter than I’d like for this rifle. If that’s not correct, I’m happy to learn otherwise. I’d also like 5/8 x 24 threads if possible as that’s just easier to work with, but that comes at a trade off of heavier barrel contours and I’m not married to the bigger thread diameter. I haven’t decided for sure what I’m going to do yet.

I won’t have them for another couple months but I ordered two 20” hybrid lites. One in a 22cm and one in a 6cm. I’m having both spiral fluted to drop a few ounces.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
To elaborate more on this and what I’m thinking about, it’s my understanding that I’d have to cut the factory barrel back to about 18” before I could thread it 9/16 x 24. That’s shorter than I’d like for this rifle. If that’s not correct, I’m happy to learn otherwise. I’d also like 5/8 x 24 threads if possible as that’s just easier to work with, but that comes at a trade off of heavier barrel contours and I’m not married to the bigger thread diameter. I haven’t decided for sure what I’m going to do yet.
FYI I got a 22” barrel threaded in 9/16 (minimal shoulder obviously but a bit) that I loctited a 5/8-24 adapter on and so far so good.

atmat

WKR
Just cut it to whatever length you want, thread to 1/2”x28, and run an adaptor with red loctite. Literally tons of us do it.

Don’t spend $500 on a new barrel when you can spend $130 to chop/thread yours (if it shoots).

That said, I have a 16.5” PBB Hybrid Lite and it’s great.

Juan_ID

WKR
I agree with the others who say just cut it to what you want thread 1/2x28 and loctite a 5/8x24 adapter on it. I’ve done that to 2 or 3 tikka barrels and never had any issues. 223s and 6.5 creeds, but I too have a hybrid lite on order that I should be getting sometime soon. It’s a 20” 22GT barrel threaded 5/8