Feedback on Preferred Barrel Hybrid Lite for Tikka T3x Lite

AkRyan

WKR
To elaborate more on this and what I’m thinking about, it’s my understanding that I’d have to cut the factory barrel back to about 18” before I could thread it 9/16 x 24. That’s shorter than I’d like for this rifle. If that’s not correct, I’m happy to learn otherwise. I’d also like 5/8 x 24 threads if possible as that’s just easier to work with, but that comes at a trade off of heavier barrel contours and I’m not married to the bigger thread diameter. I haven’t decided for sure what I’m going to do yet.
You should be OK at 20in with 9/16x24
I have a 19in tikka with 5/8x24. Biggest issue is there isn't much shoulder left for anything to seat against. We made a washer for mine that fits tighter than a you know what.

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
I’m starting to plan out a Tikka barrel swap and the hybrid lite profile is intriguing.

Question for those that have one: what barrel vise are using if you DIY? Does the upper part of the contour match the factory and fit the SAC or similar Tikka specific vise bushings?

I’m starting to plan out a Tikka barrel swap and the hybrid lite profile is intriguing.

Question for those that have one: what barrel vise are using if you DIY? Does the upper part of the contour match the factory and fit the SAC or similar Tikka specific vise bushings?

Yes, the Hybrid Lite contour does match the factory up near the shank.

I use a Viper vise. I know some have had some issues with them, but I have pulled barrels from 3 different Tikkas, 4 Remingtons, and 3 Savages and never had a problem with mine.

OP
Okie_Poke

Okie_Poke

FNG

I have the Wheeler. I have only removed one factory Remington barrel with it and haven’t tried to spin off a Tikka yet. For the Remington, I needed the lead shims and rosin as the wood blocks didn’t grab enough by themselves. But it was easy enough once I had all the right tools.

I used a homemade barrel vise and used v blocks. Used a breaker bar and a 3 foot cheater and got it tight. On the action wrench, I used my cheater pipe and just smacked the action wrench like hitting a baseball. I did wrap the barrel in a strip of lead.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
1000001864.jpg1000001863.jpg
Top is the factory 7 mag 24" lite that is currently threaded 1/2x28. Bottom is the 6.5 Saum 22 inch hybrid threaded 5/8x24 with the 1:16 fluting. I reckon the lite barrel could be at it weight wise with flutes and chopping a couple, but the PBB gives better threading for a suppressor.