Field Dressing

bpurtz

WKR
Gutless method here - we take everything. Front/back loins, brisket, heart, caul fat. I've taken kidneys and liver, but don't really care for them so they are left unless I know somebody that wants them...

Once you get proficient, the gutless method can be done in 30 seconds or less...

taskswap

WKR
Yeah gutless doesn't mean you automatically leave something behind and plenty who do gut take less than I do. I take plenty of time to get all the rib and neck meat, and I have a buddy who will scrape every ounce out of the cheeks. Tongue and heart obviously. I'm not much for liver or kidney (the body's oil filters, I think somebody once said) but several in our group do. All gutless. No waste.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grew up with the family crew gutting everything and two hatchets splitting the backbone🤙 still can hear the hatchets 🪓 clanging even though I have not done that since the early 90s. Once I branched out on my own and more often than not was alone, learned the gutless method by trial and error. Would still gut if the position required it to position the elk. Got to the point I could do it with my eyes closed.

Brooks

WKR
Doing it gutless you still take out 4 quarters, both back straps, both tenderloins and the neck meat. Now after doing the gutless if you want the liver or heart it’s just one slice, reach in and get them. Gutless keeps the meat cleaner IMO.

manitou1

WKR
When you're packing the animal out on your back like many of us do out West here, it is the only option.
Quartered, loins, tenderloins and some neck meat.
There isn't a person alive that can carry a gutted elk carcass out in their pack.