FNG
Got an appointment at the bow shop tomorrow
Going to buy my first bow
My budget is 1800 for everything
Any advise for a new bow buyer
Anything to look out for any questions I should know
Anything you wish you would have thought about when buying a new bow

Thanks

I would tell people that mid-range bows are way better than the flagship bows from 10 years ago, which were good bows. It’s not necessary to buy a flagship bow the first time around if something in the $500 to $700 range works for you.

Make sure they take time to determine your draw length and properly fit the bow to you. Being new to archery, you're obviously not going to know what correct draw length feels like, so make sure they actually watch you draw and pay attention to your form. Wingspan divided by 2.5 (or wingspan minus 15" divided by 2) is a commonly used rule of thumb for estimating draw length, but it's just an estimate and needs to be confirmed by actually drawing a bow.

Don't let them talk you into more draw weight than is comfortable. 70 lbs is probably most common for hunters, but 50 and 60 lb bows can kill just fine too.

Bow technology hasn't really advanced much in the last 5 (or more) years. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a previous year leftover or something used even older to save some money.

JTR11

FNG
My local shop has used bows for sale which can be a great option for your first bow too. Any reputable shop will be able to get you fit and assess the condition. I bought my current bow used and just had to put a new set of strings after the first season and was my way to get in to a top of the line bow at a huge savings.

WRM

WKR
One of my bows is closing in on 25 years old. A single cam from the "first run" of that "new tech". Shoots just fine and deer never say--hey dude, you shoulda shot me with a carbon fiber dual cam! It's my treestand bow and I do have a newer, heavier draw bow for out west. But, you don't have to have the latest and greatest to kill deer, tho it's hard to buy anything other than that at most bow shops. Most any quality mfr bow you find in a reputable shop will do fine. Also fine if you want to spend the whole budget--they'll be more than happy to oblige you!

TheTone

WKR
shoot every bow you can. One of them will pick you.
This is great advice.

If you have multiple shops in your area hit them all and get a feel for the help at them, it’s no fun buying a bow at a shop where you’re treated poorly or don’t like the service you receive

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
This is great advice.

If you have multiple shops in your area hit them all and get a feel for the help at them, it’s no fun buying a bow at a shop where you’re treated poorly or don’t like the service you receive
Not many bow shops in my area but yeah if they don't seam like they want to actually help me I will head down the road

Kularrow

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t go cheap on a release, there’s places to save money but a release isn’t one of them. I wouldn’t leave until I was paper tuned and my 20 yard pin was within striking distance of being sighted in.

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
Don’t go cheap on a release, there’s places to save money but a release isn’t one of them. I wouldn’t leave until I was paper tuned and my 20 yard pin was within striking distance of being sighted in.
Any brand or type of release you have good or bad experience with?

Warmsy

WKR
Man just buy a used pse for 250. Arrows and broad heads 150 or so. Then once you get pretty good in a month or a couple months, start shooting a bunch of bows.

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
No need to spend half that amount... Save it for a trip or your next bow.
Was kinda planning on buying a good bow and not a next bow is it necessary to replace bows frequently?
I won't spend all the money if I don't have to but I want something that will last me

OP
Brian.243

Brian.243

FNG
Man just buy a used pse for 250. Arrows and broad heads 150 or so. Then once you get pretty good in a month or a couple months, start shooting a bunch of bows.
I thought about that and it does make since
But I also thought if I learn to shoot a good bow it would be better to stick with what I learned on and not throw away a few hundred buck on a temp bow

There's a lot of personal preference. I'd say if you are going through a shop get what they know how to tune, or better yet a friend you can buy booze for knows how to tune, likely before the drinks.

Bows aren't that complicated, but you need to have an understanding of them.

I can kill stuff just as dead with an old stick bow as the most modern compounds. Just need to hit where you are aiming.

I have my preference, but if nobody around you can set them up properly they aren't worth a red cent to you.