First IA buck with .35 Whelen

Bluefish

WKR
I guess since I have been using copper projectiles, it hasn’t been a constraint. 180’s will get the job done for sure. heck the 350L gets by with 180’s a lot slower than the Whelen.
I have a box of 200g Hornady interlock, not impressed with them. Rifle didn’t shoot them great. Went through a box of Cutting edge 150’s. They shot great, just was not happy with performance. Hammer 203’s shot great, readily available, and good on animal performance even at slower velocity of the 358jdj. I know people bag on hammer, but so far I have been happy with them.
looking forward to trying some maker 200’s when he releases them. Wouldn’t mind trying some noslers, but as you mentioned, hard to find.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
He wasn't going anywhere with that shot! How do you know he's 3.5?
Just a swag given his level of body maturity (smaller stature with plentiful fat), teeth, and my experience with other deer on this farm over the last 20 years. A hard-rutting 4 year old or older buck would have a more mature musculature, virtually no fat by gun season if any at all, and have significant tooth wear.