First Lite Source

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Im curious if you have continued to compare the source with the ambient and pros and cons of each.

WoodBow

WKR
The older I get, the more I realize I don't know. This may be one more of those instances.

To date my desire for a pass through is to mitigate how many layers I have to wear beneath my harness, as I currently prefer to have only an item (or items) with a pass-thru over my harness. I can't remember a time in which I have ever removed a layer when in the stand, but maybe the rock climbing harness or saddle would take care of my needs? I guess I have always assumed it was either a "classic" harness or a saddle and I've not paid enough attention to the differences - other than the few times when I considered a saddle for the different broader approach to hunting.

I'm happy to look into other options, especially when it comes to safety - and the last time I compared "regular" harnesses, I was wondering if there were better options - as it seems is almost always the case with other types of gear.
Rock climbing harnesses are inexpensive and gained some popularity before saddles blew up. My thought process was that people that know for a fact they will fall, are wearing rock climbing harnesses and they are working great for them. People who pray they never fall, are wearing traditional harnesses. RCH allows you to at least face the tree to self rescue in the event of a fall. I always felt like the back strap of a traditional harness was in my bow arm at full draw or trying to wrap around my neck. Saddle is best of both worlds because it functions like a RCH but then i can turn around, face tree, and sit back into saddle if wanted or needed.

Lots of folks are convinced you will invert and fall put of a RCH. But like i said, rock climbers take falls every day.

To each their own. Dont fix what isnt broke. But don't exclude options either. I'm more prone to add layers on stand than to remove. Typically im hot by the time im in a tree. Then i get cooled off and have to add a top layer.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Rock climbing harnesses are inexpensive and gained some popularity before saddles blew up. My thought process was that people that know for a fact they will fall, are wearing rock climbing harnesses and they are working great for them. People who pray they never fall, are wearing traditional harnesses. RCH allows you to at least face the tree to self rescue in the event of a fall. I always felt like the back strap of a traditional harness was in my bow arm at full draw or trying to wrap around my neck. Saddle is best of both worlds because it functions like a RCH but then i can turn around, face tree, and sit back into saddle if wanted or needed.

Lots of folks are convinced you will invert and fall put of a RCH. But like i said, rock climbers take falls every day.

To each their own. Dont fix what isnt broke. But don't exclude options either. I'm more prone to add layers on stand than to remove. Typically im hot by the time im in a tree. Then i get cooled off and have to add a top layer.

Thanks for this. "Don't fix what isn't broke" is a saying that I should probably think about more often. But similar to you, I have had some issues with the back strap on a traditional harness. I think I should look into the RCH and saddle a bit more to make sure I understand the differences and options. Maybe this is also a way to ease into a saddle as an option, as each time I started down the path, I decided that it wasn't for me for one reason or another. I typically am shooting currently out of ladder or hang-on stands, but maybe I can still figure out a way to use the saddle (or RCH). And a research project is always a good distraction when I'm supposed to be working.

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for this. "Don't fix what isn't broke" is a saying that I should probably think about more often. But similar to you, I have had some issues with the back strap on a traditional harness. I think I should look into the RCH and saddle a bit more to make sure I understand the differences and options. Maybe this is also a way to ease into a saddle as an option, as each time I started down the path, I decided that it wasn't for me for one reason or another. I typically am shooting currently out of ladder or hang-on stands, but maybe I can still figure out a way to use the saddle (or RCH). And a research project is always a good distraction when I'm supposed to be working.
@WoodBow - I pulled the trigger on a RCH and saddle. I’ve used the RCH 3x in tree stands and I love it, including for the reasons you described. I also like it because the one I purchased let’s me wear the package as a belt - then add the leg straps just before I climb.

Next step is to practice and then hunt with the saddle. Thanks for the recommendation!

WoodBow

WKR
@WoodBow - I pulled the trigger on a RCH and saddle. I’ve used the RCH 3x in tree stands and I love it, including for the reasons you described. I also like it because the one I purchased let’s me wear the package as a belt - then add the leg straps just before I climb.

Next step is to practice and then hunt with the saddle. Thanks for the recommendation!
Awesome man!

Lowg08

WKR
I saddle hunted all last season and have swapped to a RCH and making a fleece saddle to lean in if I want. Using a hybrid system. Hang on, RCH and sit drag fleece.

OP
H

H80Hunter

WKR
I should have updated this -- I ended up returning mine to FL under warranty because one of the hand pockets was sewn crooked and wouldn't even zip. They took it back no questions asked but unfortunately kind of another data point in my mind that has moved first lite's outer wear a notch below the Sitka stuff. Love the company and baselayers but I'm just kind of down on a lot of the other stuff.

Maverick1

WKR
@H80Hunter , @baz77 , @Kayl - regarding the First Lite source jacket - was it bowhunting quiet? (I'm looking for a primaloft gold jacket, and am looking at this jacket. One thing is, though, I don't want the outer material to be a nylon or pertex-type material. It has to be dead quiet.) Thanks for your insight.

Kayl

FNG
@H80Hunter , @baz77 , @Kayl - regarding the First Lite source jacket - was it bowhunting quiet? (I'm looking for a primaloft gold jacket, and am looking at this jacket. One thing is, though, I don't want the outer material to be a nylon or pertex-type material. It has to be dead quiet.) Thanks for your insight.
In my opinion yes. It's a semi-soft outer material that is very quiet. It's not fleece, but it's darn close in my book. I added the Solitude vest and it was a great combo late season. I will still add the Sanctuary coat next year though. :)

Last edited:
Its not as quiet as their catalyst material but definitely quiet enough to bowhunt in. I wore this jacket in mild temps instead of the catalyst this year and most likely will sell the catalyst as they serve similar purposes to me.

Maverick1

WKR
Its not as quiet as their catalyst material but definitely quiet enough to bowhunt in. I wore this jacket in mild temps instead of the catalyst this year and most likely will sell the catalyst as they serve similar purposes to me.
Thanks. Appreciate the input. (But I don’t own a catalyst jacket, and haven’t fondled one, either, so I can’t relate to that comparison!)

Adam5757

FNG
I have the source jacket. It's not silent but quiet enough to bowhunt in. I saw a pic somewhere of a source vest that someone was wearing. Unfortunately I will probably need that as well. The FL addiction Continues. Lol

I have the source jacket. It's not silent but quiet enough to bowhunt in. I saw a pic somewhere of a source vest that someone was wearing. Unfortunately I will probably need that as well. The FL addiction Continues. Lol
I bought the solitude vest when it first came out and then realized it wasn't windproof like the new solitude so I bought the full jacket with windproof. That thing is warm. Still like the vest it's great for bowhunting. Really want to get the source jacket. Heard on a podcast with mark kenyon there was probably a vest coming. Since you've ran the jacket would you wait for the vest or go with the full jacket? Definitely an addiction. Thankfully everyone knows to get me FL gift cards lol.

Adam5757

FNG
I bought the solitude vest when it first came out and then realized it wasn't windproof like the new solitude so I bought the full jacket with windproof. That thing is warm. Still like the vest it's great for bowhunting. Really want to get the source jacket. Heard on a podcast with mark kenyon there was probably a vest coming. Since you've ran the jacket would you wait for the vest or go with the full jacket? Definitely an addiction. Thankfully everyone knows to get me FL gift cards lol.
I will probably get the vest because trying to layer the source under my solitude jacket doesn't work for me. Too much bulk in the forearm sleeve area. I would think you could go with the source vest under the solitude jacket or the source jacket under the solitude vest would be a good option as well. The vest will be even more packable as well.