First Suppressor - recommendations

Hey Everyone-

First suppressor purchase incoming and my head is spinning. I just purchased a Bergara B14 HMR Carbon Wilderness in 6.5 PRC. Very excited about the platform for hunting whitetail and some longer range shooting. Most of my hunting is via tree stand, so I’m not terribly worried about weight. No exact budget, maybe $1000-1300? Given the time it takes and the price, I want to get something that is going to last a long time, and will allow me to shoot accurately, comfortably and be easy on the ears at the range. Any insight is appreciated as I’m brand new to this.

I would be looking at the scythe ti, maybe some of its competitors in that 7” range like the ocl hydrogen or the ddc enticer s, tbac ultra 7 etc. with a full length barrel all the long cans (u9, enticer l, hydrogen l, nomad lt) will probably be a bit much, the scythe is quite short so should help with that.

I’ve hunted with heavy cans and this year bought my first ti bolt can and the balance is so much better.

OP
P
I would be looking at the scythe ti, maybe some of its competitors in that 7” range like the ocl hydrogen or the ddc enticer s, tbac ultra 7 etc. with a full length barrel all the long cans (u9, enticer l, hydrogen l, nomad lt) will probably be a bit much, the scythe is quite short so should help with that.

I’ve hunted with heavy cans and this year bought my first ti bolt can and the balance is so much better.
I was looking at the ultra 7/9 and enticed LT-I/ST-I. You hit on a lot of my thinking there. Any experience with that group? ultras seems to be insanely hard to track down.

jimh406

WKR
The Banish 30 is configurable as 7 or 9 inch. The Backcountry is 5.5 and lighter. Note: I’m not a salesperson, so you might want to double check the details on Silencer Central.

Ultimate Reloader channel on youtube has done tests on both, so that might be a good place to look.

You said you're not concerned about weight, but how about length? I would look really hard at the new gen Liberty Anthem S cans. Otherwise the Scythe or if 8" isn't too long the Nomad XC.
Good visual aid here based off PewScience ratings and expected score based on length:

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
There are a couple other questions to ask yourself - will this be a can that you want to swap across multiple platforms or will it live on this single rig?

For a first suppressor I really like the SilencerCo Omega Hybrids where you can swap them across multiple platforms. The Omega 36M could go on your hunting gun, any AR you run, and with a piston you could put it on any pistols 9mm or smaller (outside of a rimfire obviously)

But if it will only sit on a single gun just get a SandmanL.

wesfromky

WKR
OCL Hydrogen s or DD Enticer sti are solid choices. I would sign up for in stock alerts for a few different ones in that tier and buy whichever comes into stock first. The sorta standard advice is to get a .30 cal for your first, but if you are never going to shoot .30 cal, or are OK with buying a new can if you do, you will get better sound reduction from 6.5 can, though there is debate on how noticeable that is in the real world.

Add a good rimfire can to your first order as well. Mine get used the most.

I have an OCL Hydrogen L .30 cal and a Hydrogen S 6.5 that is being sent to my dealer now, along with a couple others. The hydrogen sounds great on my rar 556 and the build quality is solid.

Personally, I would stay away from the all in one cans as your first. Get something that is the best match for your hunting use case and the expand from there, because it is hard to just buy one.

I was looking at the ultra 7/9 and enticed LT-I/ST-I. You hit on a lot of my thinking there. Any experience with that group? ultras seems to be insanely hard to track down.
From what I’ve used of my enticer l I like it, it’s also quite light (mine is 10.4 with included 5/8 thread) but it’s a bit long at 8.5” if I was putting it on a 24” I would probably drop down to the s just because I don’t like 32” barrels. If you don’t mind it’s a nice option. My barrel is 16” so I went up to the full length can

Bluefish

WKR
Something 30 cal, made from Ti that weighs less than 10oz. All it needs to be is hearing safe for hunting and on the range you will wear hearing pro, so extra quiet doesn’t matter. Length and weight are more important imho.

there are plenty of cans that will fit that criteria and your 1200 budget. Scythe Ti, AB Raptor 8/10 stack, Tbac, etc. Due to the recent quick approvals, many have been sold out, so it may be what you can find. Besides, this is only the first can.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider

I'm on the fence between ScytheTi and the Omega 36m, really want the lighter one but guy at the shop said the Ti ones aren't recommended for rapid fire and I really want one I can throw on the AR to dump mags once in a while...

OP
P
The Banish 30 is configurable as 7 or 9 inch. The Backcountry is 5.5 and lighter. Note: I’m not a salesperson, so you might want to double check the details on Silencer Central.

Ultimate Reloader channel on youtube has done tests on both, so that might be a good place to look.
Watched this and was interested for sure. Did seem like there was some impact spot change. For the price, seemed like maybe TBAC might be better value?

I'm on the fence between ScytheTi and the Omega 36m, really want the lighter one but guy at the shop said the Ti ones aren't recommended for rapid fire and I really want one I can throw on the AR to dump mags once in a while...
I have an omega 300, not sure how that differs from the 36m, it is a good can. With a ti direct thread and end cap you can get them down to sub 13 ounces

OP
P
You said you're not concerned about weight, but how about length? I would look really hard at the new gen Liberty Anthem S cans. Otherwise the Scythe or if 8" isn't too long the Nomad XC.
Good visual aid here based off PewScience ratings and expected score based on length:
7-9 range ideally. I’ll have to check those out. Functionally I think my total length would be fine there.

OP
P
There are a couple other questions to ask yourself - will this be a can that you want to swap across multiple platforms or will it live on this single rig?

For a first suppressor I really like the SilencerCo Omega Hybrids where you can swap them across multiple platforms. The Omega 36M could go on your hunting gun, any AR you run, and with a piston you could put it on any pistols 9mm or smaller (outside of a rimfire obviously)

But if it will only sit on a single gun just get a SandmanL.
Being that it’s on a long range rifle, I think I’m going to want something I can maximize the use on one rifle. I wouldn’t be so concerned if it was an AR or something more short distance, but the chance at a longer shot make me want to optimize if possible.