First time elk hunter

JHart 71

FNG
Trying to plan a hunting trip to Colorado thinking maybe archery season or possibly 2nd rifle realized rifle season is closer to late post rut or even late season thoughts. Thanks

I'd try for 1st Rifle or Archery OTC. If you do 1st rifle the primary draw application deadline is 4/7/2020 8 PM MT. Problem with 1st rifle season though is that it's only a 5 day hunt. If you were to do that you want to arrive a few days early to get acclimated and scout if you don't live nearby. If you want to hear bugles it's best to do archery. I think for a first hunt Archery is the way to go. You'll have more time to hunt and you can hunt the rut. Plan to be there around the 12th of Sept if Archery. It's tempting to arrive opening day but Elk may not be bugling yet.

Another consideration would be to do the Utah Any bull any weapon hunt general season hunt. I don't know the starting date this year but should be around the 5th of Oct. You can get OTC tags. It's a 12 day hunt. Elk are sometimes still bugling at the start of the season. You want to be online though the day in June when they start Tag sales cause even through they have 17000 tags they sell out fast. Cheapest Bull Elk hunt that I know of in the US. You can shoot any bull in that hunt and many open units to hunt.

Also for a first timer the Utah spike hunt would be very educational. The spike hunt takes place in Premium units that have a population of large bulls and few hunters. So though you can't shoot the big bulls you can experience being around them.

OP
J

JHart 71

FNG
I'd try for 1st Rifle or Archery OTC. If you do 1st rifle the primary draw application deadline is 4/7/2020 8 PM MT. Problem with 1st rifle season though is that it's only a 5 day hunt. If you were to do that you want to arrive a few days early to get acclimated and scout if you don't live nearby. If you want to hear bugles it's best to do archery. I think for a first hunt Archery is the way to go. You'll have more time to hunt and you can hunt the rut. Plan to be there around the 12th of Sept if Archery. It's tempting to arrive opening day but Elk may not be bugling yet.

Another consideration would be to do the Utah Any bull any weapon hunt general season hunt. I don't know the starting date this year but should be around the 5th of Oct. You can get OTC tags. It's a 12 day hunt. Elk are sometimes still bugling at the start of the season. You want to be online though the day in June when they start Tag sales cause even through they have 17000 tags they sell out fast. Cheapest Bull Elk hunt that I know of in the US. You can shoot any bull in that hunt and many open units to hunt.

Also for a first timer the Utah spike hunt would be very educational. The spike hunt takes place in Premium units that have a population of large bulls and few hunters. So though you can't shoot the big bulls you can experience being around them.
Thanks for the info I'll keep this mind and also bring it up to the others in my hunting party.

nmuhs

FNG
Archery if you're up to the task. September in Colorado hunting elk is an amazing adventure. Weather will more than likely be better then rifle season. Being able to hear elk when being a beginner keeps moral up.