First time flatlander pack help!

Rich_Senn

FNG
So I know this has been asked ad naseum, but still need a little advice so bare with me.

Heading to CO on first drop camp Elk hunt for 7 days. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time and I've found some others to commit with me to going. At 36, the plan is to get the big game bug, which I already have, and make this an annual thing moving into caribou, moose, etc.

This first hunt is a drop camp, but we are using this a learning experience so the next several could be trips we pack in so I'm looking for a pack that can potentially do both and not one that will be used 7 days this year then posted in the classifieds. I'm a little hung up on the fact the packs I'm looking at still seem really big for day pack modes and I'm curious to thoughts and opinions on how hard it is to shoot a bow with certain packs.

I can't decide whether to stay in the 3000 +/- size range and then use the meat shelf for more gear on future longer hunts or to get something in the 5500 +/- range so any recommendations there are helpful. How many of you have a smaller pack for 3/4 days plus another larger pack for 7+ days. Do you end up using one more than the other or is it best to just get the bigger pack from the start.

I was dead set on an Exo Gear 3500 or 5500, but now I've been eyeing the Kifaru Reckoning and new Hoodlum. I'm really having a case of paralysis by analysis, and my head hurts from reading so much.

I wouldn't try and kill 2 birds with one stone. I'd buy into a system like an exo, SG, SO or kifaru where you can buy a frame and many bags. Get a 3000 for this year and a 5000 when you start hunting off your back. No one does the modularity thing better than kifaru imo

I'd do a Kifatu lite or tactical frame, with a 22 mag bag. Great day hunter and, you could use the meat shelf option for getting everything you need in if forced to use it for a backpack hunt. Until you can buy a bigger bag. I really like this setup.

OP
R

Rich_Senn

FNG
I'm okay with the buy once cry once mentality, so the expense of a bigger bag isn't really an issue. I just want to be sure on functionality since they appear to be so big.

I guess what I'm asking is there really a bag that virtually does it all and works in 85-90% of most scenarios without needing multiple bag options?

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Man, you'll get lots of different answers to this because it all comes down to personal preference. One thing to consider is whether or not you want to haul meat inside the pack, or outside. That may help you on whether to go the meat shelf option or just a big bag. I prefer the small bag options (22 mag, nomad, etc), with the ability to pack gear or meat outside the bag. I only mentioned Kifaru systems because thays all I've used, but I'm sure the others are just as good (Exo, SO, SG, etc.)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rich_Senn

FNG
Man, you'll get lots of different answers to this because it all comes down to personal preference. One thing to consider is whether or not you want to haul meat inside the pack, or outside. That may help you on whether to go the meat shelf option or just a big bag. I prefer the small bag options (22 mag, nomad, etc), with the ability to pack gear or meat outside the bag. I only mentioned Kifaru systems because thays all I've used, but I'm sure the others are just as good (Exo, SO, SG, etc.)

That 22 Mag looks good, not sure why I was skipping over that. Just browsing through the "if you could only have one thread"...man the Stone Glacier X-Curve frame really shines in that one. See..I'm all over the place. LOL It really sucks not being able to see any of these in person.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I was living in MS when I started hunting out west and it was difficult, if not impossible to get hands on experience with some of the higher end gear. Don't run yourself crazy with the pack. Pick one and try it out. You can always sell it on the classifieds if you decide you want to try something different.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I run the Kifaru Reckoning and love it. I’ve had it a little over two years now and used it last September for a 14 day backcountry hunt. Hauled all my stuff in and used it every day as my daypack.

I’m actually looking at the Hoodlum only because of the side zippered pockets. I’d be interested in selling the Reckoning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
I've really enjoyed my Reckoning. A couple belt pouches for organization and this pack will carry anything you want for however many days you need, while still being able to compress easily. I went this route for the same reason you are thinking, a one bag solution to anything I might do.

I saw so many options I didn't know what to do when picking a pack. I picked certain features that were a must in the bag I chose to narrow it down. For example, zipper into main compartment, meat shelf and ability to carry weapon were some of mine and the Reckoning fit really well. The full center zip is awesome.

I have a Woodsman and a Mountain Warrior, I like having two different bags that I can interchange. Saying that, I could use the MW all the time, but I just love the Woodsman for 1-3 days. What part of OK are you in? I'm in OKC usually a week a month if you want to look at my bags.

I've got the Kifaru EMR2, which is 8400cubic inches without the guide lid and belt pouches. It compresses down to make a fine day pack. All of their stuff shrinks to almost nothing with their strap systems.

I don't like fiddling with the meat shelf to haul meat out. I just toss game bags into a contractor's trash bag, put the meat in the bag, and cinch down the straps. The EMR2 (now discontinued) is big enough to hold half of a bull elk, or a whole mule deer.

Below you will see it with me in orange, and a whole mule deer doe inside.

Also loaded (on the left) for a 4 day sheep hunt.

I just dump what I don't need in camp, and use it to haul my lunch, spotter, sitting pad, kill kit, etc during the day. It will haul the meat out if I get lucky enough to connect.

Attachments

• 50636633_10217674760245740_8583534966174908416_n.jpg
    50636633_10217674760245740_8583534966174908416_n.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 41199929_10216638516860303_1306611420326002688_n.jpg
    41199929_10216638516860303_1306611420326002688_n.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 47
Here it is, this is the big one: It doesn't matter what you get, you'll want another one.

Honestly my best advice is to try it on for fit. If you can't do that the next best thing is to call your vendor and have them talk you through the fit. Do you have any pack now? I'd start smallish and work your way up. I've had friends and family borrow, buy used, or buy lower end stuff just to figure out what they wanted/needed. I use a couple of Kifaru packs but it's really hard to swallow that pill when you're just starting out. And like I joked, no matter what you get you're going to want an upgrade or refinement.

OP
R

Rich_Senn

FNG
Here it is, this is the big one: It doesn't matter what you get, you'll want another one.

Honestly my best advice is to try it on for fit. If you can't do that the next best thing is to call your vendor and have them talk you through the fit. Do you have any pack now? I'd start smallish and work your way up. I've had friends and family borrow, buy used, or buy lower end stuff just to figure out what they wanted/needed. I use a couple of Kifaru packs but it's really hard to swallow that pill when you're just starting out. And like I joked, no matter what you get you're going to want an upgrade or refinement.

I'm guilty of that and am sure I'll want something different down the line, but I'm hoping that will be a long ways down the line!

I've got several marine ILBE packs I could use this first time, but I've pretty much made up my mind that this first trip I will have good boots (Crispi Idaho GTX) and a good pack. Next trip may not be a drop camp so sleep system will be the high priority then, not that it's not now it's just camp will be setup this time.

I'm about pull the trigger on the Reckoning with the Duplex Lite frame after calling Kifaru today. They were super helpful and someone answered after one ring! I keep coming back to Kifaru due to reviews, so many videos and online help from Aaron at Kifaru, it's family owned, all American made, etc.. it's really appealing all around from customer support to quality.

Does anyone know if the ultralight pullouts are waterproof? I flip flopped today back and forth on the Muskeg and Reckoning mostly due to the water protection of the Muskeg. The consensu was the Muskeg was noisy when it's cold, so going with the Reckoning my rationale is to keep my cloths in an ultralight pullout as added protection against any rain storms.

GarrettCrain

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Woodsman and a Mountain Warrior, I like having two different bags that I can interchange. Saying that, I could use the MW all the time, but I just love the Woodsman for 1-3 days. What part of OK are you in? I'm in OKC usually a week a month if you want to look at my bags.
Not the OP, but that would be great to me!

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guilty of that and am sure I'll want something different down the line, but I'm hoping that will be a long ways down the line!

I've got several marine ILBE packs I could use this first time, but I've pretty much made up my mind that this first trip I will have good boots (Crispi Idaho GTX) and a good pack. Next trip may not be a drop camp so sleep system will be the high priority then, not that it's not now it's just camp will be setup this time.

I'm about pull the trigger on the Reckoning with the Duplex Lite frame after calling Kifaru today. They were super helpful and someone answered after one ring! I keep coming back to Kifaru due to reviews, so many videos and online help from Aaron at Kifaru, it's family owned, all American made, etc.. it's really appealing all around from customer support to quality.

Does anyone know if the ultralight pullouts are waterproof? I flip flopped today back and forth on the Muskeg and Reckoning mostly due to the water protection of the Muskeg. The consensu was the Muskeg was noisy when it's cold, so going with the Reckoning my rationale is to keep my cloths in an ultralight pullout as added protection against any rain storms.

I do not believe that they are but you could buy a dry bag to keep clothes in. Sea to summit make good ones.

OP
R

Rich_Senn

FNG
I do not believe that they are but you could buy a dry bag to keep clothes in. Sea to summit make good ones.

I'll check those out thanks!

Does the Cordura do pretty well to keep everything dry in rain? I'm hoping we don't have much but planning for everything. I didn't sound like many guys used a pack cover which is an option as well.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I'll check those out thanks!

Does the Cordura do pretty well to keep everything dry in rain? I'm hoping we don't have much but planning for everything. I didn't sound like many guys used a pack cover which is an option as well.

Light rain it’s going to be good but anything heavy or extended obviously would eventually soak through.

The pullouts are water resistant, nothing Kifaru sells is waterproof. You'll likely love the Kifaru frame and enjoy the bag. Personally I'd stick with the cordura over the xpac.

Skelly

FNG
I was in the exact same situation as you. From the east with no way of trying on before I buy. I was looking at the reckoning and the exo5500. Went with the exo and it was basically a coin toss. They do have a 30 day test period but unless its really uncomfortable I'll be using that pack this year. I was looking at the 3500 too but I decided bigger would be better. My hunt this year will be between 6 or 7 days so I think I made the right decision on size.

Good luck! It seems like either brand is a great choice