First time handgun advice...to a friend

AdamW

WKR
It's always interesting the varied responses you get based on the subject matter of the forum where the question is asked.

I've been shooting Glocks since the early 2000s, carrying one since shortly thereafter and they are still my go to mainly because I'm so deep in to them (training and range time, carry gear, mags, etc.) that I just haven't made the switch.

All that said, I think the S&W "M&P 2.0" that has been leaked is going to be a solid contender. Let him decide if he wants a manual safety or not.

I spent a decade plus as the "Glock 19 for first handgun" guy and while I don't completely disagree with that now, there are other good guns out there so I try not to be myopic.

We get in to this "stupid simple" niche/requirement and it's a disservice to the people buying them at times IMO. Women aren't dumb and frail, stop pushing Airweight snubbies on them, your buddy can operate an iphone, a car and probably something more complicated than that, so he can handle learning a handgun.

I love revolvers and if HE is set on a wheel gun, steer him in the right direction with a S&W or a Ruger. But if he's not, it's time we (the gun culture) stop treating new shooters and gun owners like they're not smart, skilled or dedicated enough to learn a modern pistol.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe you are spot on. Glock= cheap, reliable, and easy. I went through a few pistols for self defense until I let my pride go and settled on a g19. Sure wish I would have started with one.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My first personal defense pistol was a Glock 23. My next one was a Springfield xds 45. My girlfriend (first time shooter) handles the Glock 23 way better the the Springfield. I don't see the issue of using a Glock 23 for first time shooters. She can clear jams and operate it way easier than the Springfield. She shoots both of them the same. The Glock just has an easier slide to operate.

husky390

WKR
Just an FYI for those who are new to handguns, Glocks are not 100% reliable. They can jam due to "limp wristing" and due to ammo type or lack of maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get what fits your hand, points natural and is reputable brand

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i got mama an LCR cause i know i cant make her practice with it. she put bullets in and pulled the trigger and there was a bang.

and she can reload it with no broken finger nails,,laff

come on ......can it get any simpler?

second would be a 22 auto...

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
It's always interesting the varied responses you get based on the subject matter of the forum where the question is asked.
Agreed.
And for the record....I'm not a Glock 'Fanboy'...but anyone badmouthing Glocks has an obvious lack of firearms experience
Personally, I prefer the H&K's, Sigs and M&P pistol platforms....probably because I started on a Sig decades ago.

Did i mention he wanted it for home defense too? Sure revolvers are easy shooting and maintaining...but clearing your home at night with a revolver and hand held flashlight? Cmon, lets be serious...not to mention the longer trigger pull.......

Mount a Streamlight TLR to a semi auto and you have a simple and potent system.

Yeah, if I was a new shooter starting now.....I would just buy a Glock and be done with it!

WKR
Why is a 12 gauge superior to handgun? Surely it's not because of the pattern. At indoor distances the shot will only spread a couple of inches. Its not like you only have to point it in the general direction in order to hit the target. Perhaps the shot is less likely to overpenetrate target or drywall than a hollowpoint self defense round.

Trying to weild a long gun in tight spaces seems much less than ideal though.

jmez

WKR
With personal defense loads and properly choked the pattern will spread much more than a couple inches. Tight spaces isn't much of a concern. If it is too tight to wield the gun you are looking at hand to hand anyway. You don't need to aim a shotgun, you point and shoot. If I'm in a dark house and you don't know where I am you can have a pistol, I'll take the 12 and play live all day long in that scenario.

JWP58

WKR
The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - The Box O' Truth

A shotgun at close range will pattern a lot tighter than most would think, even with a cylinder choke. I would most certainly suggest aiming any firearm that is being used in a defense role.

In the realm of "self defense" or "home defense" there is no black and white (this is better than that). It all depends on the user, and environment the user is located in.

Felix40

WKR
With personal defense loads and properly choked the pattern will spread much more than a couple inches. Tight spaces isn't much of a concern. If it is too tight to wield the gun you are looking at hand to hand anyway. You don't need to aim a shotgun, you point and shoot. If I'm in a dark house and you don't know where I am you can have a pistol, I'll take the 12 and play live all day long in that scenario.

Not saying its better or worse but pattern your gun at 5 yards and see if thats really true.

Why is a 12 gauge superior to handgun? Surely it's not because of the pattern. At indoor distances the shot will only spread a couple of inches. Its not like you only have to point it in the general direction in order to hit the target. Perhaps the shot is less likely to overpenetrate target or drywall than a hollowpoint self defense round.

Trying to weild a long gun in tight spaces seems much less than ideal though.
A few reasons,
1) To aim the shotgun you bring it to shoulder, put the front bead center of mass and squeeze the trigger. There's no worrying about the front and rear sight being lined up.
2)The sound of a shotgun being wracked is pretty unmistakable and is intimidating to just about anyone.
3)A person could use 1oz target loads going 1,200 fps and it's still a great man stopper. If you step up to pheasant loads you'd be looking at about 550gr of lead going 1,300fps and is not likely to go through 2-3 houses before the round stops.

boom

WKR
i havent been a newb in years. i didnt start with a Glock.

and i am not a shooting instructor of any type..

what about the lack of safety on the Glock? does this help or hurt the choice for a newb? i'm talking about a physical safety lever.

and shotgun vs handgun at home. handgun ammo goes thru a sheet rock wall and will barely slow down. i bet i could shoot into my neighbor's house. i have both ready to go.

Taught my wife and daughters how to shoot with a G22 (.40). Now my youngest has a G23 which she loves. My eldest daughter prefers her Ruger 9mm. My carry guns are G22s and a LCR (for dress). Say whatcha will about Glocks...they always fire. That's my #1 concern.

and is not likely to go through 2-3 houses before the round stops.

this is a huge deal that often goes overlooked.... in one of my pistol classes, our instructor beat into our heads about the importance of where that slug ends up if it doesn't find it's intended mark. A single lead projectile can pass through many sheetrock walls before it finds a home... hopefully not in someone you didn't intend it to be in like a loved family member. Shot from a scattergun in general stops in much shorter distances.... obviously there's exceptions but the general rule of thumb still holds true. aside from the point/shoot ease, a shot shell being incredibly effective, etc... In many cases its safer than a pistol and almost always much safer than a AR style rifle for "in the home" defense. A shotgun in close quarters will also cause a massive amount of trauma, far more than a pistol or single round from an AR, which is also the intended purpose. If that line has been crossed by an intruder then that should be the ultimate goal for everyone in home defense.

I carry a pistol every day and own my fair share of AR's but inside my abode it's a 870 police 12 with a pistol grip and short barrel. It's not much longer than a 16" M4 collapsed. Very maneuverable. But as many have stated, find something your comfortable with, get to know it and handle it well, shoot it accurately and enjoy. If that's a .22 or a 500S&W it's nobody but yourself that needs to make that decision.

Last edited:
started off with a sig sp2022 but switched to glocks shortly after (G17 and G19). if I didnt shoot glocks id probably shoot an m&p i like those as well

Last edited:

jmez

WKR
Not saying its better or worse but pattern your gun at 5 yards and see if thats really true.

I could but If I have a scatter gun and intent on using it, the pattern and ballistics are irrelevant at 5 yards. By the time they got that close their would be 10 empties on the floor and quite a mess.

Felix40

WKR
I could but If I have a scatter gun and intent on using it, the pattern and ballistics are irrelevant at 5 yards. By the time they got that close their would be 10 empties on the floor and quite a mess.

Your house must be a hell of a lot bigger than mine. My living room is 16x19 and it's the biggest room in the house. If I encounter someone in my home that will the range I'm dealing with.

Last edited: