First time handgun advice...to a friend

TheCougar

WKR
I always tell them what they want to hear... "go get a chrome plated desert eagle .50 and engrave "Tacticool" on the side. Also, you'll need 5.11 shoes, cargo pants (knee pads optional), shirt, and hat." In all seriousness, Glocks aren't sexy. Unless you consider function, performance, and reliability sexy... then they are sexy as hell!!! 9mm is a great caliber for both genders and ammo is cheap and plentiful.

Like many Roksliders I have alot of experience and training with firearms which includes being raised bye an FFL holder my entire youth and being trained in the military. I agree that glocks are great handguns and may add that they are a value (when compared with I.E. a Sig Sauer ). The guy who is gonna be buying the gun has to first off decide if he enjoys a revolver or an auto. A revolver is more simplistic I.E. one can tell if its loaded just bye looking at it laying on a table bye viewing the cylinder ( yes, yes, the rule is "all guns are considered loaded but I'm just breaking it all down)and has less moving parts etc. were as an auto is a little more "advanced" due to extra functions one needs to learn ( how to properly rack a slide, how to "tap, rack, bang" to clear a stovepipe , etc ) BUT seem to be more appealing and sexy to most newbies. I love this subject and have helped several "newbies " with a first purchase. ALL have chose an auto. I am not sure that was the best option but they have to decide. I personally have sold my 1911's and SIG's in favor of Glocks due to ability to have the same platform (same trigger pull, ergonomics,action etc in multiple calibers ) . Just my preference. I of course still have some revolvers for other purposes. The buyer has many , many options . Either way he needs to make the commitment to be proficient with his chosen weapons system and hopefully enjoy it.

Buy whatever floats your boat. I've shot a lot of different pistols through the years. Glocks don't look or feel as sexy as other pistols, but they are about as simple and foolproof as pistols come. Sure, a revolver is arguably more reliable, but to what degree?

A first time pistol owner could do a LOT worse than a Glock 17 or 19. "Feel" doesn't mean squat when you're using a pistol in self defense. Reliability does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I will have you guys know, I'm here in Ca converting Anti gun folks one at a time- grin

i've taken 2 different families shooting this week...and supposed to meet up with a dad and son today that we met through one of my sons sports teams. The only downside is I don't end up shooting much, just loading mags and helping the new shooters. I really like having them try the gangbanger hold [horizontal] especially double taps.....then when they can't hit squat....it reinforces good shooting form.

The other thing that goes over well is at the end we do quick shooting challenges off the bench on one of those terrorist targets.

Some good commentary...of course there is no #1 perfect answer. In fact, due to my lack of specific in depth knowledge of everything Glock, it seems the Glock 17 & 19 here in Ca might not be the most reliable choice. I didn't realize that the 10 rd mags for the G17 and G19 have reliability issues [ with 147gr JHP ammo, FMJ ball ammo is no problem] The hard core IDPA competition Glock guys here in Ca are chopping the frames on those to accept the G26 mags.

Try explaining that to a new guy......grin

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Get what fits your hand, points natural and is reputable brand

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

+1 to this. By points naturally, the advice I've gotten is: close your eyes, pick up the pistol, keep your finger on the trigger guard or frame, (not the trigger, but this doesn't relate to fit, just good habbit) point it like you're going to fire, and open your eyes. If you're naturally, comfortably aligned with the sights, it's probably a good fit. Glocks don't do this for me, XDs do. I had a S&W Model 60 that I could barely keep on paper at 7 yards. My dad's S&W 686 (bigger frame) fit GREAT, and shot great for me, as did his 629, both with factory Hogue grips. I have medium hands. Your mileage will vary, and arguments of Glock vs Springfield vs wheelgun vs 1911 vs Sig vs Kimber vs any brand/model/caliber are as numerous as they are pointless, mainly because everyone's bias is based on their anatomy/skill/use related to each, and aren't going to be won or lost from behind a keyboard.

p.s. I've got a 8 3/8" Model 500 S&W with Warne QDs and a fixed 2x Leupold fs, pm if interested, also have dies, brass, & components (I've killed 2 deer with it, but converted an XD-45 to 460 Rowland, that carries better)

boom

WKR
i have a glock..it is about as exciting as my toaster oven. but like my toaster oven, it does work. it was inexpensive and i have lots of free ammo for it. i do know my Sig is more accurate in my hands..admittedly, my glock is a 45, sig is a 9. either way, i can shoot both.

for a beginner just learning muscle memory around a handgun.. the lack of a physical safety lever on a glock..no concern? i started shooting as a kid. i couldnt promise you i didnt touch the trigger by accident on a few occasions. and my brother is a SWAT commander..the stories of accidental discharges are frequent. haha.

like i said, i am old school. i am gonna take my BIL under my wing and teach him to shoot. i bought him that ruger Buckmark .22. i am gonna burn into his mind to keep that finger off the trigger. even if i have to sound like a Dick about it.

16Bore

WKR
22 is a good start and more fun than a barrel of monkies. Dogs are one of the best things a person could have for home defense. Hell, the police would be better off with fewer pistols and more dogs.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Boom, Good point accidental discharges do happen. Any Bird hunter that hasn't had their gun go off before you're seated or properly aimed is a liar (or doesn't go very much). So make damn sure your barrel is ALWAYS pointed in a safe direction or a direction you're going to shoot anyway. I've been hunting/shooting for over 30 years and I can remember a few times being pretty surprised when my gun went off, fortunately nothing terrible happened because of it, but unfortunately for me 2 of those occasions had witnesses and it's going to be a long time before they quit giving me shit about it. My friends still refer to me as "Trigger" or sometimes "Shooty". Question for you, is this how you ended up with "Boom"?