First wall tent advice needed

ChaseH

FNG
I’m thinking of getting my first wall tent. Never used one before. It would be for 2-4 people and their gear. Preferably a 4 season tent but I would probably avoid deep winter snow if I can. I’m wanting suggestions on brands to consider, any brands to stay away from. Is buying used a good option? How big would it need to be for the needs stated? I’ve looked through some other threads to glean info but decided to just ask the questions I have. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Tmac

WKR
We bought a used Montana Canvas 12x14 with a 12x10 cook shack extension. It is fine for 3-4. If the cook shack was not there, 2 would be about it with table, stove, etc. Then I got a used Kodiak Canvas 10x14, it works very well too and would be my choice for 2.

If you buy used, make sure it's set up for you to inspect. If they were put away with any moisture, there will be mildew and weakened fabric. I have a 14x16 traditional canvas, made by Denver Tent and canvas and a 13x13 Elk Mtn tent that is a different type of fabric. The EM tent is much more forgiving with moisture and does not weigh as much as traditional canvas. The Wall Tent Shop has about as good of prices as you will find. 5' walls are a must and an awning is very nice to have.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have a 14x19 and it's tight with 4 people if you're running a stove. Last year we squeezed 5 dudes in there but we had a separate cook tent and the 5th dude had to put away hit cot every morning. We all run big cots so that takes up some room but you'll need room for chairs, firewood, boots, etc. and the space in front of the door needs to stay clear.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve owned and used several different brands of canvas wall tents over the years in every scenario possible, Davis Tents are the best in my opinion..

gman82001

WKR
Davis tent 100% … my 10x12 is perfect for 2 snug for 3 so I’d definitely go quite a bit bigger if 4 was going to be the norm.

7mm-08

WKR
Another vote for Davis Tent. We have a 10X12 with five-foot walls and it is adequate room or two with gear. For four people, you'd not regret going to 14X16 (or larger if you were going o have four in the tent often). We can cook and live in this space as well with a stove. This space is (again) adequate, especially if you use the disco cot bunk beds, which are now available at Costco. If you live in a state that allows you to do so, you may not want to order the fire-retardant treatment on the canvas. You, however, should consider the water and mildew treatment some companies (such as Davis) offer. I have screened windows on the sides and a back door as these options allow for great flexibility in ventilation, setup, etc. My tent is 15 years old and looks and functions as if it were new. That's because we care for it and especially dry it in a heated garage with a fan running for a few days after each use. I'm really happy with the angle kit I purchased from Davis at the time I bought the tent. I can set this tent up by myself (stove in and stovepipe up) in 30 minutes with ease. Pretty slick deal, for sure. Good luck with your search.

Davis Tent 14x16(now 14x15) with a stove will be snug with 4 depending on what you have inside with you but is an amazing tent! I bought their Elk Package 4 or 5 years ago. It is a great size and can be setup by yourself.

Seeknelk

WKR
I have a 14x 16 Davis and it's been awesome but I have nothing to compare it to besides Cabela's alaknak which sucked being the synthetic material it condensated quite a bit and had a floor which collected said moisture in secret spots that you found out about at the worst time. Anyway, the 14x 16 is a bit tight with 4 guys with full size cots and gear but is doable. We also had a stove and folding table taking up space on that side so keep that in mind.

GoatPackr

WKR
We looked at a lot of tents before ordering ours. We ended up going with a Bravo Tent made in Washougal, Washington. Far better quality than anything else on the market. Made in the USA with USA marine grade materials. I really like the nylon webbing and not having grommets that cut the fabric and can work lose over time.
You can find them used. A lot of people buy wall tents and end up not using them much then selling them at a loss much like RVs.

Kris

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
Davis Tent all the way. My dad bought their elk package and we had 9 guys in there with a stove last fall lol. 3rd season CO.

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
I own a Deluxe wall tent which has been excellent but communication with the company has been piss poor via email. Just ordered a couple Davis wall tent organizers which shipped fast. My next tent will prob be Davis.

6-4-102

FNG
I have an old Davis 14x16. Can't go wrong there. Also have the Cabela's 12x12 alaknak and Cabelas' Big Horn III. I use synthetics most of the time. Even though I often use LP heat and have to deal with the condensation.

BDWMT

FNG
14x16 and Davis tent or Bravo tent. I really like the stove jack in the wall from Bravo. Eventually your snow slide or roof is covered in pin holes from hot embers with a roof jack.

Rich M

WKR
We used a 10x12 walmart special canvas tent. Was good til we went below zero. Buddy heater worked til then and after you could feel heat 3 ft away but not 4. Wood stove woulda been better.

Kept us dry and outta the wind and snow. 4 guys, 3 long ways, 1 across. Had 20# propane and heater set on chair. Worked til we got the cold blow and our 80 yr old member needed a hotel room cause he wouldnt leave the tent.

Cots and negative degree sleeping bags work fine.