First wall tent advice needed

Tick

WKR
Davis 14x16 easily sleeps 4 wth cots and hunt gear. It gets cramped when you start adding tables and chairs. I added a cook shack this year for that.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
My dad and I went in on a Davis wall tent about 5 years ago. It’s a 14x16 for the main area with an extra 4 feet on the front for a cook area/vestibule, so really a 14x20. We’ve only had the two of us sleeping in it on cots, but we were able to manage those two cots, our gear, a smaller card table, stove and wood, and four camp chairs inside. It got a little tight with the four camp chairs and four of us hanging out, but not bad. We bought it from an outfitter down in Idaho who bought three of these brand new and never used the one we bought. We’ve used it a few years now during late rifle season. It’s been in a lot of snow and temps in the low single digits. We have a stove and found on those really cold nights we’d have to stoke it about every 2 hours. Super easy to put together and take down.

hunterjmj

WKR
My dad and I went in on a Davis wall tent about 5 years ago. It’s a 14x16 for the main area with an extra 4 feet on the front for a cook area/vestibule, so really a 14x20. We’ve only had the two of us sleeping in it on cots, but we were able to manage those two cots, our gear, a smaller card table, stove and wood, and four camp chairs inside. It got a little tight with the four camp chairs and four of us hanging out, but not bad. We bought it from an outfitter down in Idaho who bought three of these brand new and never used the one we bought. We’ve used it a few years now during late rifle season. It’s been in a lot of snow and temps in the low single digits. We have a stove and found on those really cold nights we’d have to stoke it about every 2 hours. Super easy to put together and take down.
Even with a stove a good cot, pad and sleeping bag are a must in sub zero temps. Not sure the brand but I have a yuge cot, thick pad, -20° bag (cotton/flannel) and I sleep like a rock when it's -10°. Get set up right and it's great.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Even with a stove a good cot, pad and sleeping bag are a must in sub zero temps. Not sure the brand but I have a yuge cot, thick pad, -20° bag (cotton/flannel) and I sleep like a rock when it's -10°. Get set up right and it's great.
Yeah I learned that the hard way one year. Forgot my pad and thought I’d be fine, but I was wrong. Never again.

OP
C

ChaseH

FNG
Wow. Thanks for all the responses.
Most trips would likely actually only be 2 or 3 people. So I might go smaller at save a little on the cost and weight. What small can I go for 2-3 people and not be too cramped?
Also, if I go with a Davis, any additional features that are need-to-have? Thanks again.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You can make A LOT of more useable space in a wall tent by NOT getting the huge oversized cots. My hunting group have even squeezed four hunters in a 10x10 spike tent by using smaller cots like 28” wide roll-a-cots.

It is super tight, so I would recommend going bigger if 4 people are going to be users, but there are ways to maximize useable space.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I’m thinking of getting my first wall tent. Never used one before. It would be for 2-4 people and their gear. Preferably a 4 season tent but I would probably avoid deep winter snow if I can. I’m wanting suggestions on brands to consider, any brands to stay away from. Is buying used a good option? How big would it need to be for the needs stated? I’ve looked through some other threads to glean info but decided to just ask the questions I have. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Check out Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas tents and the 13x13 Continental which is designed by Beau Baty and constructed by Snow Trekker. Doesn't have 5' sidewalls but then they are not needed given the roof pitch and 9 1/2' center height. Plenty of room along the sidewalls for full-size cots, plenty of room in the center, and the 13x13 size is really efficient for 4-5 (no need for center poles, etc.). You can suspend bows, clothes, etc. and still walk around without bumping your head. The tent canvas weighs in at only 22 lbs. Frame is another 15 lbs but the whole package packs away small. It comes with an internal Easton Aluminum frame and goes up in about 10 minutes. Has really ingenious guy-out system and is very storm-worthy. Snow Trekker has been making tents since the early 90's and they have been tested over and over by the winter hot-tenting enthusiasts in the northern lake regions and Canada. They have more recently been catching on with western hunters. Several Youtube videos on them now including Wilderness Ridge, Gritty, etc. I did a lot of research, and chatted with and visited Beau Baty at Wilderness Ridge during the development of the tent. They are not cheap but then again you get a super nice frame , easy setup and takedown, and it should last a lifetime with proper care. Davis tent is good also but then you have to figure in a frame which adds bulk and weight. We used a Davis tent for several years with cook shackand breezeway sections but it took us several hours to set it all up (we cut our own ridge pole and center poles). Beau's tent can be set up very quickly with the frame and guy-out setup and it all packs down very small.

rbljack

WKR
following this one. Been wanting to get a wall tent for a few years and just haven't been able to pull it off due to funds.

Beendare

WKR
I've owned a few wall tents- and still have one. Its my favorite tent for NA hunts.

There are the made in USA and the ones made overseas that are as much as 40% off of the USA models.

The US made is better...but maybe not 40% better.

I like the interior aluminum frames for those....it really makes them solid and easy for one guy to setup.

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for a Davis tent 14x15 or larger. Definitely a good idea to chalk out the tent size you are considering to see if that is big enough for your needs. I have a 14x15 and it is a palace for three people. Four would fit okay, but on longer trips may be a little tight.

THunt

FNG
Don't skimp on the size of the tent. I recall thinking I'd go down a size to save money. Now I have two wall tents, one 10x10 and one 16x24. You'll never regret the extra space in a bigger tent, but you will wish you had more space in a smaller tent.

My uncle has a wall tent, I thought he was crazy when we first set it up at how huge it is. I would imagine it is in the 8x20 range without the "patio cover"... I would agree with others that 5ft side walls and snow slide are nice to have. I would size up when you get one because the extra feet doesn't add much more work.