fish recipes

My wife does not like fish a whole lot. I have a lot of walleye, perch and blugill fillets in the freezer that i would love to find a recipe for that she would appreciate. She would take a bite of friday night fish fry (cod or haddock) when I order it at a restaurant, but she will not eat home made, deep fried, baked or battered. (crispy or beer).

anything UNIQUE that I could try? not ceviche, raw, boiled....

Not fried, baked, broiled, raw or boiled? That doesn't leave much left. Those fish don't do too well grilled.

I have done well making fish tacos with the species you have listed. Just pan fry with a light coating of flour. You could also try some fish cakes but they are a little pit of a PITA because you need to pre-cook the fish. Doing blackened fillets might be good to as it is pretty easy to cover up any "fishiness".

Good luck!

JeffP_Or

WKR
Here are some that have passed the "no fish...uh uh...never" test. I WILL put a caveat on it - these are halibut recipes for a reason. It is the only fish deemed "NOT FISHY" and approved for 1) cooking in the house and 2) cooking to consume...

I bet the walleye would go fine with these but have never moved outside 'buts:

1709673553630.png

1709673527817.png

Tod osier

WKR
Not fried, baked, broiled, raw or boiled? That doesn't leave much left. Those fish don't do too well grilled.

I have done well making fish tacos with the species you have listed. Just pan fry with a light coating of flour. You could also try some fish cakes but they are a little pit of a PITA because you need to pre-cook the fish. Doing blackened fillets might be good to as it is pretty easy to cover up any "fishiness".

Good luck!

After divorce, the above would be my choice with a little twist combining the fish taco with the spice coating like blackening. Put garlic in a bowl and toss with fish to coat. Add chili powder, some cumin, bunch of salt and toss to coat. Finally a dusting of flour before frying. This makes a nice fish taco and is going to be as palatable as anything.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
We make fish curry that is bomber. It has cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and boneless trout fillets in a jalfrezi curry. Pair it with naan bread and basmati rice.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
I have an awesome walleye chowder recipe I'll try to find. When we used to go fishing in Canada regularly we cooked walleye every way you could imagine. Boiled walleye with drawn butter is about as good as it gets. The taste of shore lunch with fresh walleye just caught an hour ago - it doesn't get much better.
Roll out some tin foil throw in 4-6 walleye fillets, sliced potatoes, a bunch of different colored peppers, a stick of butter, wrap it up tight and toss it next to the fire. After 6-8 minutes peel open the tin foil - yum!

SloppyJ

WKR
I'm a pretty avid crappie fisherman, perch for you yankees. I have a smoked fish dip that I jokingly asked for from a Michelin star restaurant in NOLA when I was there. If you think that would be up her alley I'm happy to share.

Fish tacos mentioned above is a good idea.

When I get tired of just fried fish I make fish cakes sometimes for something different- you can add a lot of different spices to get different flavors, and since it is t 100% fish maybe she’d like those.

Dos XX

WKR
We have made this with cod many times. It is great. I bet it would work with perch, too.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 174616.jpg

mattm94

FNG
If a person doesn’t like walleye, perch, or bluegill, I’ve got ZERO recommendations. Are you cooking whole or fillets?

The cornmeal based Louisiana fish fry products don’t disappoint. Instructions on the bag.

I’ve also never had ANYONE pass up seconds on fish tacos. Egg wash then roll in well crushed ritz crackers… pan fried, cabbage, pico, good hot sauce. Soft corn tortillas. The only fish I’ll use is boneless skinless trout fillets. It’s the only way we’ll eat trout… and cooking “good” fish like you listed would be sacrilegious at our house.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a pretty avid crappie fisherman, perch for you yankees. I have a smoked fish dip that I jokingly asked for from a Michelin star restaurant in NOLA when I was there. If you think that would be up her alley I'm happy to share.
Please share the wealth

NRA4LIFE

WKR
If you shmackle all kinds of weird spices/flavors on walleye/perch/blue gill you are ruining it. Best fresh water fish, all 3. If she doesn't like it, don't bother. Fry all of them and eat it yourself.

If she is willing to give it an honest try I would go with the chowder or curry idea's. Hank Shaw -honest-food.net is always my go to when looking for new ideas.