fish recipes

SloppyJ

WKR
What? You guys from the losing team call Perch...Crappies? Perch have stripes...Crappies have spots. If you guys are calling something like a Yellow Perch a Crappie I think a 2nd butt whooping is in order

Man, I don't try to make sense of it either. Lots of things those people do up there that just doesn't make sense. Seems weird to me but I was just trying to be inclusive of the people who are above the Mason Dixon line. From what I've heard they just group all of the fish except for walleye underneath a "Perch" umbrella. Maybe they call it a white perch? Not sure. 🤣

SloppyJ

WKR
I go visit my coonass friends in LA every couple years and we travel about 100mi off shore to go fish the oil rigs. Always end up with a boat load of snapper and if we're lucky we will catch some tuna and cobia too. I came home with so much snapper one year I was looking for new ways to prepare it and a recipe like this was a hit. You can spice it up and give it some heat.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I usually keep it pretty simple. Lemons and fresh parsley from our garden and a touch of garlic salt. Smoker at 400ish degrees. 7 min per side squeeze lemon juice on the flip. Works for any fish.

IMG_6876.jpeg

Yoder

WKR
Those are the best tasting fresh water fish in the country. If she doesn't like them, it's going to be tough.

WCB

WKR

Man, I don't try to make sense of it either. Lots of things those people do up there that just doesn't make sense. Seems weird to me but I was just trying to be inclusive of the people who are above the Mason Dixon line. From what I've heard they just group all of the fish except for walleye underneath a "Perch" umbrella. Maybe they call it a white perch? Not sure. 🤣
? I'm from "up there" Crappies are Crappies, perch are perch, walleyes are walleyes. Crappies/sunfish/bluegill etc are generally just called pan fish but obviously arent the same. But I don't know one person here, "up north" that call a perch a crappie. You must be talking about people from more the North East....which in that case who knows what happens out there.

sitealpha

FNG
Here are some that have passed the "no fish...uh uh...never" test. I WILL put a caveat on it - these are halibut recipes for a reason. It is the only fish deemed "NOT FISHY" and approved for 1) cooking in the house and 2) cooking to consume...

I bet the walleye would go fine with these but have never moved outside 'buts:

View attachment 683088

View attachment 683087
Thank you. I am going to give this a try.

sitealpha

FNG
Sorry to rock the boat, but I haven't found a fresh water fish, other than trout or salmon, that's worth eating.

Eating fish come from the sea.
Surely you've tried Croppie. It is above the rest as far as taste anyway. My opinion of course.

geterdone

FNG
Trim all the fat (often between the skin and meat) from the fish or bloodline for fish like tuna, that will take away a lot of the fishy flavor.

Most fish are great in tacos, blacken, grill or deep fry with some shredded green cabbage, Pico, white shredded cheese and tartar sauce. A lot of people like to add avocado to the tacos also. Small corn torillas work great.

If deep frying try a badder call pride of the west, they have the plain yellow box, or the orange chicken box, which works great for fish too. Use beer instead of water. I dry rub them with the batter mix then make a thin beer batter that I drench them in before hitting a fry pan.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Surely you've tried Croppie. It is above the rest as far as taste anyway. My opinion of course.

Yessir, crappie, bluegill, walleye, bass, sauger, all the catfish...... I just don't get it. They're all soft, mushy & basically tasteless. Maybe not tasteless, but there's certainly no real flavor distinction between them.

Stripers are actually really nice on the grill, now that I think about it, but there's nothing else compares to any saltwater fish.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Walleye is as good as it gets with freshwater fish. I have a simple recipe that we typically use for mahi that would probably work well for walleye. Take a sleeve of Ritz crackers and put inside a ziplock bag and pound the crackers into the consistency of bread crumbs. Then add about an equal amount of Parm shakey cheese into the ziplock bag and mix together. Coat fish filets in an egg wash and put a few in the bag. Shake the bag so that the Ritz crackers and cheese coat the filet. Cook on medium heat in unsalted butter in frying pan. Excellent and very simple. I sometimes add a little Old Bay to the cracker/cheese mixture as well.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I WILL put a caveat on it - these are halibut recipes for a reason.

There are numerous recipes you can pull off with halibut that wouldn't fly with other fish imho since it seems to be a hybrid between fish and chicken, lol. Halibut alfredo is an example, don't think other fish would come off well in alfredo but halibut can.

jmez

WKR
Sorry to rock the boat, but I haven't found a fresh water fish, other than trout or salmon, that's worth eating.

Eating fish come from the sea.
No doubt saltwater fish are better, but trout? Save yourself the time and effort, get a sack full of mud from the body of water they came from and eat that. Taste the same.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
? I'm from "up there" Crappies are Crappies, perch are perch, walleyes are walleyes. Crappies/sunfish/bluegill etc are generally just called pan fish but obviously arent the same. But I don't know one person here, "up north" that call a perch a crappie. You must be talking about people from more the North East....which in that case who knows what happens out there.
I hope you know I'm just giving you a hard time. When I speak of people up "there" it's basically Michigan and west. I actually envy the states west of that. But I'm glad we can agree on the NE.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
If you shmackle all kinds of weird spices/flavors on walleye/perch/blue gill you are ruining it. Best fresh water fish, all 3. If she doesn't like it, don't bother. Fry all of them and eat it yourself.

What's the passion of getting the spouse to eat something you like?
My wife loves salmon. Can't stand the stuff baked. Grill it and I'll eat it. Didn't say like it, "EAT" it.
Take the leftover grilled salmon and make patties and I can eat my weight!
Wifey won't touch eggs except in a recipe.
Love omelets or just plain old fried eggs.

I make homemade cornmeal. I mix garlic powder, red pepper, black pepper and a sprinkle of paprika. Meal and fry the fish*!
Good stuff, Maynard!

Prefer crappie or fresh cod.

Houseminer

Lil-Rokslider
Mines fried catfish, with all the fixins'. Fry em In a cornmeal/flour mix with lots of ceyenne pepper and some salt. Usually eat them with mashed taters and gravy, corn on the cob and or green beans. Also like fried okra with them. Or, I'll just fry the fish with a side of home fries. Good eatin'!
E3761110-6F1C-49B1-8739-1AEB8499C12E.png7BB33617-72F0-48CC-94F9-8D9B8F2E6CA0.png8D585DE5-92DF-4A47-BDF4-3E5D99980215.png82B4CEF2-CC0A-43C2-BABC-531C4FF0DA7F.pngA477C280-C56B-44AB-8F67-13F33D2B252F.png