fish recipes

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up catching more crappie, bass, bluegill, white bass and channel cat than I could eat. As an adult I moved to Colorado, but added Trout, Walleye, perch and Northern to the list.

As a member of Knights of Columbus, I just finished my 3rd week frying cod, I don't make or buy the mix, but that's the only real deep frying I do, try to keep the oil at 325F-350F, pulling fish when the probe says 135F.

Tony Chachere's is pretty good, their extra spice is better. Southern Pallet was the best, they sadly went out of business. Second Line Creole Seasoning is my current favorite. Mix that with corn meal. Dredge in that, fry in oil. Walleye, Northern, perch, crappie, bass, catfish are all great in that mix....

When you're done, make hush puppies. Half cup of that seasoned corn meal, a half cup of flour, 1/2tsp baking soda. Mix that, then add half an onion chopped, half a cup of milk and an egg. Fry that in oil too.

Trout, I would rather smoke. Salmon too. Google "smoked trout dip". It doesn't require a $600 smoker. I've still got a hand me down from my grandpa burning lump charcoal and hickory. If you're able to smoke fish, try smoking cheese too. Neither take long, putting them on cold helps smoke condense better.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

Lil-Rokslider
We used to make this at a restaurant I worked at.

Walleye Fra Diavalo

Fish Breading:
- panko bread crumbs
- shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- salt

Sauce:
- marina
- red pepper flakes (a lot)
- peeled shrimp

Dip fish in egg/milk, then breading and cook the fish in butter.

In a saucepan, bring marina sauce to boil, add the shrimp and red pepper flakes, cook it around a minute until the shrimp are done.

Plate the fish. Apply the sauce over the filet. Apply shredded parmesan and then chopped parsley over the sauce. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
Learned this on the ocean a long time ago and do it now with bluegill, crappie, bass.

Butter a regular glass eating plate. Spice butter however you want. Add dried off filets to cover the plate. Butter top of fish. Spice on top of that. 1 minute(90 seconds if thicker filets) in the microwave or until fish is white. Seriously, it' the first thing that gets eaten at cookouts.
You can do the same thing on the grill, using tin foil, except you don't need to butter the bottom.

limpet

FNG
How are you caring for the fish you catch? That could also have something to do with it. Bled and into an ice slurry or unhooked and thrown in a cooler with a little warm water or none at all? I ask because it makes a massive difference in the quality of your fish. My girlfriend was the same way with fish until she met me because I’m picky about how I care for the fish. Also my quick midweek tacos I use McCormick Baja citrus marinade for 20-30 minutes then broil it on a rack or on the grill if it’s not too crappy of weather.

I don't care for strong fish flavor, some of the fish we get down here if you don't get all the bloodline out they get fishy after being frozen, Red Drum, Spanish and King Mackerel, etc... When that happens one of the ways we'll cook it is to just make "tuna salad" out of it. Wife just cooks it in a pan with butter until it all falls apart, then smother it with mayo and sweet relish and whatever else you feel like tossing in there, mix it all up and slap on some bread. All but the gamiest of gamey fish can be eaten that way.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
If you shmackle all kinds of weird spices/flavors on walleye/perch/blue gill you are ruining it. Best fresh water fish, all 3. If she doesn't like it, don't bother. Fry all of them and eat it yourself.
Amen
I hate when people come up with all kinds of concoctions to slather on foods to make them taste totally different so it will be "liked" by someone. I hear the same thing when it comes to venison or other wild game meat. "Man, I've got the best marinade ever - you let the venison soak in this stuff for a couple days and you'll never know it's venison" Hello - I love venison, why would I want to spice the hell out of it to cover up how it tastes. A little salt and pepper, a hot cast iron pan, put on a good seer, leave it pink inside - yum!
Same goes for fish - keep it simple. Fresh caught walleye from ice cold Canadian water (or any water for that matter) for shore lunch - that's pretty close to perfection.

xsn10s

WKR
How are you caring for the fish you catch? That could also have something to do with it. Bled and into an ice slurry or unhooked and thrown in a cooler with a little warm water or none at all? I ask because it makes a massive difference in the quality of your fish. My girlfriend was the same way with fish until she met me because I’m picky about how I care for the fish. Also my quick midweek tacos I use McCormick Baja citrus marinade for 20-30 minutes then broil it on a rack or on the grill if it’s not too crappy of weather.
Depends on the fish. But from now on I'm killing, bleeding, and then throwing them on ice.

xsn10s

WKR
Perch, bluegill, crappie, bass and catfish we fry them in beer batter. Trout I like to marinate in teriyaki sauce and throw them in the smoker.

fishslap

WKR
This: https://food52.com/recipes/23994-kalamojakka-fish-stew/amp
I make it several times a year. I add shaved carrot. You can add cooked bacon also but the simpler the better.

Here is the primary way we cook walleye, perch, crappie, and bluegill boneless skinless fillets on a regular basis:
Place fillets on a baking sheet that is sprayed lightly with avocado oil. I pat fillets dry first.
Melt a few tablespoons of butter.
Add a clove of chopped garlic to the butter.
Drizzle most of the butter/garlic over the filets. Reserve some.
Sprinkle a light layer of Italian bread crumbs over the filets.
Drizzle the rest of the butter/garlic on top (usually just a small amount).
You could add some grated Parmesan to the bread crumbs if desired.
Bake at desired temp/time. I run the broiler on high at the end for a minute or two.
You can salt and pepper before or after.
This is easy to do, little cleanup, and you’ll normally have everything you need on hand. We could eat this a few times a week all year.

WCB

WKR
HAd some pretty good walleye/fish dip in the past for chips or crackers. Also, local church has a walleye wild rice soup that is fantastic. Like anything you could probably work it into other foods. We do fish tacos every couple weeks at our house. I love fried fish the best with just basic shore lunch or flour, lemon pepper, rosemary, salt. Fried in grease then a healthy dose of salt. Not healthy but my favorite. However I can't stand when guys put "batter" on them with eggs, milk, a crackers and all that b.s.

I'm a pretty avid crappie fisherman, perch for you yankees. I have a smoked fish dip that I jokingly asked for from a Michelin star restaurant in NOLA when I was there. If you think that would be up her alley I'm happy to share.

What? You guys from the losing team call Perch...Crappies? Perch have stripes...Crappies have spots. If you guys are calling something like a Yellow Perch a Crappie I think a 2nd butt whooping is in order.

KenLee

WKR
I don't care for strong fish flavor, some of the fish we get down here if you don't get all the bloodline out they get fishy after being frozen, Red Drum, Spanish and King Mackerel, etc... When that happens one of the ways we'll cook it is to just make "tuna salad" out of it. Wife just cooks it in a pan with butter until it all falls apart, then smother it with mayo and sweet relish and whatever else you feel like tossing in there, mix it all up and slap on some bread. All but the gamiest of gamey fish can be eaten that way.
I've done same, but with diced dill pickles instead of sweet relish

Keeping the slime off of filets will help. Another thing to do is soak fillets in vinegar, a trick to remove that fishy taste that bothers probably 50-75% of people.

I can eat fish for breakfast, lunch, and dinner but my wife not so much. She has gotten over her pickiness as well as we have found recipes that she actually likes. The air fryer like said previously does wonders for fish. I love making fish nuggets in mine. Skin the fillets, cut into bite size nuggets/squares, toss nuggets in little bit of olive oil or mustard, then cover with seasoning of choice and toss in the air fryer.