Fishing during caribou hunts

Headed to the brooks again this Aug, last time we weren't near a river to fish. If we are this year what is everyone's go to flies or lures and what's the target fish up there? Grayling and Char? Thanks

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I've used panther Martin in various colors in the Kuparuk, Sag and Atigun rivers with good results.

I can't speak to Char, but for grayling... darn near any spinner will work, bronze if it's sunny and silver if it's dark/overcast... at least that has worked for me. Love some grayling over the fire :)

mcseal2

WKR
For grayling we used small in-line spinners, spoons, and tiny silver Rattle Traps. The Rattle Traps worked well.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Grayling will eat anything. If you currently have any spinners, dry flies(stimulators, chernobyls) or small streamers/buggers, you will catch Grayling with them.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Medium action Vibrax #4 in bronze, silver, Orange/pink, flashy, etc. Both species will hit that one.

if that don't get 'em, wait a day.

AKDoc

WKR
Catching grayling on a 4wt fly rod is a blast...black ant, wooly bugger, and black leech patterns will do it.

BTW...cooking them right away after catching is the best eating...such a welcomed break from day after day of Mountain House meals!

hodgeman

WKR
Grayling are voracious eaters. Almost anything will work- I've seen one caught on a bent paper clip, stripped out paracord and a gummy worm on a tent pole.

In fall, egg patterns work when nothing else will...but that's rare. Muddlers, mosquitos patterns, bead head nymphs, and any spinners will work great.

bring a couple clip on bobbers and some flies. that way you can cast out a fly with a open face set up if you want to. I went on a trip with my inlaws and didnt bring fishing gear on purpose to try and not think about it. well i found a couple flies in my back pack stripped out some elastic bands from my boxers tied it all to a piece of alder branch and pulled out a few greyling one morning. Inlaws were real impressed.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
Dolly Llama flies are great for char and dolly varden. Black and white combos. Black gnats for grayling.

If you need a fly shop to put together a selection, call Alaska Fly Fishing Goods in Juneau. They are very helpful and tell them you are going to the Brooks Range for grayling and char and they will help you out on the fly tackle. We are using them again for our trip in September.