Fishing in high country lake lures

I'm taking my kids to RMNP this summer for some hiking and fishing. We've been out there several times hiking, but the fishing will be a new experience for us. I want them to have a good time. Either way, I've gotten some lightweight spinning rods to take up the mountain, I just need some suggestions on lures to take with us. I'm going to buy a selection of rooster tails and maybe some flies with a clear float. Other than that, I'm at a loss on what else to take.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Depends on the high lake and what type of trout is in it? Sometimes a fly and a bubble works better than a lure. For lures I like small spoons and spinners that are somewhat heavier weight that can be cast a long ways. Some of the high alpine lakes have rock drop off ledges where trout tend to hang out that is quite a ways from shore. I there is a stream coming in or going out those are usually pretty good spots.

Azone

WKR
Get a few Kastmasters, Panther Martin's, Thomas Buoyants and maybe a few small Rapalas and you should have something in that mix that will catch fish. I recommend switching out the treble hooks for regular "j" hooks, it makes it easier for kids to un hook their own fish and less likely hood they will hook them selves if fish are flopping around.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the high lake and what type of trout is in it? Sometimes a fly and a bubble works better than a lure. For lures I like small spoons and spinners that are somewhat heavier weight that can be cast a long ways. Some of the high alpine lakes have rock drop off ledges where trout tend to hang out that is quite a ways from shore. I there is a stream coming in or going out those are usually pretty good spots.
X2 fly on a bubble will be most productive

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Trr15

WKR
If you time it right and hit those alpine lakes right after the ice starts to break up, those trout with bite anything you throw at them. Early to mid June is usually prime time around 11,000 ft and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
This thread makes me sad. With all the snow weve gotten in Co, its gonna be a while till I can get to my alpine hotspots. Could be a 2 month fishing season this year up high.

Scooter37

FNG
One gold, one silver and one red and white #2 mepps spinner. The trifecta of perfect trout lures

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
I like small 5 of diamonds spoons some Mepps spinners yellow coach dog rooster tails and olive wooly booger’s in the high country.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
My all time favorite Alpine lake lure is small Thomas cyclones. The Thomas buoyant spoons are really good, too.

Ultralite rapalas, mepps and Panther Martin spinners are all tied for second place.

TC406

FNG
Mepps spinners and panther martens for sure. I've yet to play around with a bubble and fly rig (I mostly just use a fly rod anyhow) but those sound nifty, and would undoubtedly do you well also!

OP
maninthemaze
Wow, thanks guys. I really appreciate all the suggestions. Hopefully the lake I'm planning on fishing won't be ice covered when we get there. We're planning on going out the last week of June.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Second having gold and silver spinners along with all of the other suggestions. When I was a kid and we fished the cp swings one day they'd hit gold and the next silver.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Black rooster tail works great in the alpine lakes of Washington state. Definitely change out trebles for J hooks though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I think I've caught two trout in my life with lures, but can catch fish all day with a fly rod. Have no idea why the lures won't work. Used to catch a ton of crappies on lures.

sveltri

WKR
This thread makes me sad. With all the snow weve gotten in Co, its gonna be a while till I can get to my alpine hotspots. Could be a 2 month fishing season this year up high.

I’m with ya, I just hope we don’t see massive winter kill.