Fishing setup

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
My gal pal and I are going to CO this year and I'm the only one thats getting a tag. She decided she wants to pack in a combo to do some fishing. Looking to spend less than 100 bucks.. what are you running? Was thinking one of the small pflueger presidents and a short fenwick eagle two piece wouldn't be bad to put in a tube and strap to the pack or toss in the truck for slow work days here.

Drenalin

WKR
Haven't used the President, but I've owned several Pflueger Trion combos and they're pretty darn good for the price. I like the idea of the shorter Eagle to break down and pack...I think you have to bump to a 6'6" rod length to get a two piece Pflueger. If you're ok with that length, I think you can pick up a Trion combo around $60.

OP
W

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
Go
Haven't used the President, but I've owned several Pflueger Trion combos and they're pretty darn good for the price. I like the idea of the shorter Eagle to break down and pack...I think you have to bump to a 6'6" rod length to get a two piece Pflueger. If you're ok with that length, I think you can pick up a Trion combo around $60.
good to know. I’ve heard good things about the trions and the weight looks pretty good as well. Length isn’t a huge factor as long as my rod tube isn’t too crazy long

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
i just picked up a diawa presso 4 piece 6'6" ul rod, and paired it with a pflueger trion. seems like a sweet combo for the back country.

GregB

WKR
The Fenwick Eagle 4 piece is a nice rod for about 60 or 70 bucks. It comes with its own tube. I'm partial to Shimano reels.

mro

FNG
I bought a tenkara rod off amazon (dragontail brand?) and some flys from a local shop for under a hundred. The whole setup is probably under 12oz (including forceps). Perfect for high-sierra stream / lake trout.

bjones926

Lil-Rokslider
just started using the President - so far have to same I am impressed for the price.

Definitely would recommend it

TxFireman

FNG
I just got a Eagle Claw 4 piece trailmaster spinning rod...I think It would work well for what you need. I'm putting a president on mine.

I like the 500 size reels for everything trout. A bunch of companies make good travel rods. You can also use a shorter fly rod with a spinning reel.

SoCal Rob

FNG
I have sectional spinning rods and telescopic rods and tend to take the telescopic rods when hiking streams since I can leave the rod setup and collapse it when moving from spot to spot.

Buzby

WKR
I have the president in 20. Great bang for the buck, lightweight reel. For $50, I think you’d have to spend twice as much to find a noticeably better reel.

dla

WKR
Cut down florescent light bulb cover to protect rod while strapped to pack. Home Depot. I use a 5' two-piece rod rated for a max of 6lb test. A tiny Okuma reel with 2 spools of 4lb test. Maybe $50 invested total.