Floorless shelter. Rattlesnakes. Idaho. New Mexico.

ahatclif

FNG
I have only backpack hunted in Colorado camping in the 9-11,000 foot range. I've used a floorless shelter the past two seasons in September. I've not had any critter issues except for mosquitoes in the summer.

Over the next few years I'll probably find my self in central-south Idaho and hopefully someday in northern New Mexico.

I live in an area of Nebraska where there are virtually no dangerous snakes or insects. I have zero experience with how they act.

What is the snake situation in the south half of Idaho? Would it be wise to take an enclosed tent?

NM? Ya we have Rattlers. Chances of one crawling into your tent? Ya it's possible. But not very likely. I'd be more concerned about insects. Black widows, scorpions, centipedes, fire ants, piss ants and anything else that crawls in the southwest ;)

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
A rattler seeking heat or cool in your floorless tent is a definitely possibility. My friend was camping with a tarp in Arizona and had one crawl in. You also have insects and scorpions to contend with. I would worry about tarantulas. You may want to get a nest for your floorless shelter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
I came across one in Colorado last year at around 9200'. I had made the assumption that they weren't above 9000' based off a Google search several years ago. It was on a south facing rocky slope. I'm sure it was a fluke, but it was eye opening.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

jmcd22

WKR
Depends on how far south in Idaho you're talking. They are definitely around but not in large numbers from my experience.

Terrapin

WKR
Depends on how far south in Idaho you're talking. They are definitely around but not in large numbers from my experience.

I’m from N Idaho. I lived in Southern Idaho for a couple years. Was out on a nice spring day south of Riggins shooting rock chucks... walked out to look at a chuck and almost stepped on a large buzz tail. Spooked me back to the truck. High stepped the whole way. As I was putting the key in the door to the truck, something moved under my boot. One was sitting in the shade of my truck, trying to bite my Danners. Had to shoot it to get in the truck. Started driving out, and we saw nine more in ten miles of dirt road. I was so spooked, I didn’t stop driving until I got to a big ass empty parking lot in Weiser. Jumped out of the truck and spent 5 minutes looking under my truck and in the canopy for more of them...

When I got back to my rental house, I did what any sane person would do. Packed up and moved back to N Idaho :)

OP
A

ahatclif

FNG
Thanks guys. In Idaho I'd probably be from the Sun Valley area to the Utah line.

I thought I had heard a podcast about one of the Exo death hikes in Idaho where they were dodging rattlesnakes left and right but I don't know where they were.

jmcd22

WKR
Thanks guys. In Idaho I'd probably be from the Sun Valley area to the Utah line.

I thought I had heard a podcast about one of the Exo death hikes in Idaho where they were dodging rattlesnakes left and right but I don't know where they were.

They are out there for sure...I spend quite a bit of time over there and have seen them. I HATE snakes so a floorless shelter has always been a no go for me haha.

You could put down a snake barrier around your area. Bird netting kind of rollup in a tube will catch them. It works real well, but is kind of cruel.... they think they can snake thru it, but get all tangled up and can’t back out.

BuckHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the same dilema, will be using a floorless in rattler country. Im going to use a cheap bivy inside it and keep my boots in the bivy with me.

Ive worked around snakes a lot, no issues with them when Im awake. Sleepings a whole other story though..

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
A rattler seeking heat or cool in your floorless tent is a definitely possibility. My friend was camping with a tarp in Arizona and had one crawl in. You also have insects and scorpions to contend with. I would worry about tarantulas. You may want to get a nest for your floorless shelter.

I use a nest w/ bathtub like floor in my Tut
Late August-September Hunt/scout trips in AZ, NM, UT. Nest great protection from skeeters too. Bear Paw makes a good 1/2 nest for my use. Also super light in weight

I’m from NM, snakes are always a possibility but I wouldn’t recommend a floor less tent in this country during summer-fall due to ants. They are everywhere and will definitely be in your bag.

Floorless is a no go anywhere imo...
Go Uber light with shelters like zpacks altiplex or duplex and there’s no weight penalty.

FLAK

WKR
Not just snakes but spiders(tarantulas) and then dang centipedes scare the crap outta me. I've had a couple Brown Recluse bites that were not pretty.
And took a hit from a Copperhead on my index finger. I don't like the creepy crawlies.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m from N Idaho. I lived in Southern Idaho for a couple years. Was out on a nice spring day south of Riggins shooting rock chucks... walked out to look at a chuck and almost stepped on a large buzz tail. Spooked me back to the truck. High stepped the whole way. As I was putting the key in the door to the truck, something moved under my boot. One was sitting in the shade of my truck, trying to bite my Danners. Had to shoot it to get in the truck. Started driving out, and we saw nine more in ten miles of dirt road. I was so spooked, I didn’t stop driving until I got to a big ass empty parking lot in Weiser. Jumped out of the truck and spent 5 minutes looking under my truck and in the canopy for more of them...

When I got back to my rental house, I did what any sane person would do. Packed up and moved back to N Idaho :)

Riggins is still northern Idaho to me lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

All the lava-rock country in ID is loaded with rattlers..even some of the higher timbered areas there have em....I have had numerous close encounters with both single snakes and groups that still give me nightmares...their activity level is totally dependent on the season though...

Buddro

FNG
NM is a big place. Ive spent most of my life in northern NM, mostly the Jemez mountains and never had an issue with rattlers or any other creepy crawlies. I seldom use a tent at all unless its fridged and use a floor less tent in all but the coldest weather. Drop out of the high country, below 7000 ish feet and you will start to see more and more snakes especially in the hotter months, I tend to sport my tents with floors down in the low country when weight isnt an issue but to be frank even down around Las Cruces I'm not afraid to sleep on the ground in the open when it makes since. I wouldn't let a possible maybe trip to NM in the future be the deciding factor on your decision to get a floor-less tent.

On a side note, I was told by a professor in one of my wildlife courses in college that a study was conducted on reported snake bites. they found the huge majority of rattlesnake bites reported are inflicted on men, of those the huge majority are on hands and fingers. (she had actual percentages I wont try to remember). The take away being chances of being bitten by a rattle snake are pretty slim if you aren't out trying to pick the damn things up. I never felt the need to try to dig the study up and verify her facts. But I assure you I see rattlers all the time in the low country, many, many of them have been well within striking distance some literally underfoot and none have ever tried to bite me.