Flying to hunt ?

If you’ve been out of state and had to fly how did you pack all your gear ? I’m finding it hard to get into 1 bag . do most of you just suck it up and pay for a second check bag ? Ideas

Rich M

WKR
Depends what you are going for and how long. Details?

I can do a hotel hunt out of 1 bag.

Camping on a mountain also only uses 1 bag. Your pack.

OP
C
7 days in Idaho may 21 . guide said rain & cold gear . Normal hunt for me and I would only bring 3/4 days cloths and double wear them . I also was debating on getting a larger duffel bag to fly with ?

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
^This! Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I packed as much as I could around my bow and then packed a medium suitcase.

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
As stated the extra bag charge is really nothing Compared to The Whole trip. That said I got a sky miles card for the predominant airline (Delta) in my area and it’s saved me a ton over the last 5-7 years. Makes it easier with the guns too.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I pack what ever I can in carry on the rest in checked baggage. I reduce cloths by doing laundry at final destination when ever possible.

OMB

WKR
7 days in Idaho may 21 . guide said rain & cold gear . Normal hunt for me and I would only bring 3/4 days cloths and double wear them . I also was debating on getting a larger duffel bag to fly with ?

Get a larger duffel. For most hunts where I'm flying, I carry on a Filson combo briefcase and Pullman bag, and then check a Pelican for guns and a Buckstitch Canvas duffrel that's probably 5,000 cu inches. I don't think they're in business any more, but there's a lot of similar sized duffels out there. I can easily get 7+ days out of that set up, even with stuff like multiple pairs of boots or neoprene chest waders.

I did get a Kuiu Waypoint 10400 for an upcoming sheep hunt and I'm so far fairly impressed with it. I'm planning on putting my actual pack and most of my gear in there, and carrying on a normal North Face backpack with optics/boots/rain gear. I've used their Taku bags in the past as checked baggage for hauling clothes/gear with good success as well.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
I do a kuiu taku 5500 and either a double bow or double gun case and a carry on. Optics and electronics in carry on, bow/gun and clothes in car and pack and camping gear / misc in taku. That should be a 100+ pounds of gear / weapons and that’s more than I ever want to carry hunting.

How much stuff you need for a 7 day trip? You got a weapon case with 30-40 lbs, a checked bag with 49lbs, and 40 lbs of carry on stuff? Just half of that is about max for a pack. 100+ lbs of gear is a bunch, especially when I’m assuming guide is providing camp gear and food.

If not I agree with everyone else. I’m all about pinching pennies, but what’s another $40 on a guided hunt.

280ack

FNG
10 day hunt in Wyoming, Shipped the rifles, shipped the duffle, and traveled with the basics and my optics.
Working with the airlines was a PITA, no full and complete info! The airlines allow bicycles and "sports equipment" like golf clubs, skis and surf boardds to be carried in the cargo holes. When it comes to gun cases not so much, one agent wanted to charge me an extra $421.00 for a double rifle case as it exceeded the linear inches allowed by 4.75". When measuring for the linear inches allowed it gets tough because the agents have discretion on what can ship as far as with or without additional fees, this means you won't know what it will cost until you get to the airport. Shipping ahead of time will give predictability in costs and some certainty about your gear arriving. I can not imagine my gear getting lost in the air system for 3-4 days when I should be out hunting.

7Bartman

WKR
I've posted this various times, but I discuss many of the issues you're considering in this video.

I believe I will be shipping gear in advance, especially if you have multiple connections or out of the country. I have been the recipient of lost bags in other circumstances. I can't imagine what I would do if it was my hunting gear/gun

WCB

WKR
Not sure how much gear a guy needs for a 7 day hunt especially with how condensed gear is now days. A large duffle bag and gun case is all that is needed. Max out your carry on. Unless you are a guy that needs to be in fresh clothes everyday no way you should need multiple check bags. If guys can do 7-10 backcountry hunts out of a single back pack I'm sure you can find a way to not have to pay the extra. With that said if the charge is $30-$40 pay it I guess...

Also, what kind of hunt is it? Out of a lodge or horse back? If it is a horse back hunt 1/2 of your stuff won't make the trip into camp anyways.