FOC / long arrows

The manufacturer I used last year is not shipping my arrows any time soon so I find my self back in the market for some new arrows. For those of you who require longer arrows (I'm using 32" c2c) and also pay attention to FOC what brands are you having success with?

In pulling 60lbs with a 31.5" DL. I had great success with a 250 spine arrow with 150gr out front (tip and insert), total arrow weight was about 525gr. By my math, the FOC was about 12%, and it seemed tough to get much more from an arrow that long without being underspined.

Anyone have any recommendations for arrows I should be looking at? Also, has anyone been able to get more than 12% FOC on an adequately spined 32" arrow?

Can you just tune to a heavier point weight? I realize it will soften the dynamic spine, but with a trad bow I can just pad my side plate to move the arrow off centershot to compensate. Can you do the same? Or can you trim the arrow closer to your rest? I'm not aware of any 200 spine arrows.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Black eagle carnivore in a 250 spine is pretty light if you're looking for foc. Long arrows and high foc don't go together, just how it works.

Thanks! That's what in starting to realize. These seem like they could be a good fit, appreciate the tip.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
First thing I'd do is cut your arrows down a bit. I shoot almost 33" draw and my arrows are 30" ctc. As for FOC.......I've shot between 9% and 13% for years and there really wasn't a whole lot of difference between those. I do have some 16% FOC arrows but they weigh 632gr.

I'm currently working with some Sirius Apollo 250's with 75gr brass HIT's and 100gr and 125gr heads. But I don't worry about FOC at all. I worry more about keeping my arrow weights similar to be in that 285ish range on speed.

MountainZ

FNG
As said above, cutting your arrows down will help, and high-FOC isn't really in the cards for those of us with long DLs. I'm a 31" draw and typically shoot around 67 pounds. My bows tune well with either a 250 or 300 spine, depending on point weight. Check out the Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce if you're into skinny arrows. The last few years, I've just been shooting my target arrows for everything. KE isn't an issue at your DL and weight, and target arrows will work just fine. Not really a popular idea these days, but it will certainly get the job done.

OP
Kbhillhunter
First thing I'd do is cut your arrows down a bit. I shoot almost 33" draw and my arrows are 30" ctc. As for FOC.......I've shot between 9% and 13% for years and there really wasn't a whole lot of difference between those. I do have some 16% FOC arrows but they weigh 632gr.

I'm currently working with some Sirius Apollo 250's with 75gr brass HIT's and 100gr and 125gr heads. But I don't worry about FOC at all. I worry more about keeping my arrow weights similar to be in that 285ish range on speed.

What do you use to determine length, riser or rest?

OP
Kbhillhunter
If you have had great success with your arrows why change them?

I can't find anymore of the ones I'm shooting now, and I'm down to about 4 arrows, not all of which are my best flyers. Don't want to rock the boat too much, I've just been looking for something as close in spine and GPI to what I have now. But figured as long as I'm looking might as well see what other options I might have.

wayoh22

WKR
I can't find anymore of the ones I'm shooting now, and I'm down to about 4 arrows, not all of which are my best flyers. Don't want to rock the boat too much, I've just been looking for something as close in spine and GPI to what I have now. But figured as long as I'm looking might as well see what other options I might have.
I'd look no further than Easton FMJ 250's. Just got mine from Lancaster archery Supply. Nothing but good things to say about them. Surprisingly I discovered that the FMJ 300's are heavier than the FMJ 250's.

Could then add 75g Brass inserts for some more weight up front.

OP
Kbhillhunter
I'd look no further than Easton FMJ 250's. Just got mine from Lancaster archery Supply. Nothing but good things to say about them. Surprisingly I discovered that the FMJ 300's are heavier than the FMJ 250's.

Could then add 75g Brass inserts for some more weight up front.
I've definitely had my eye on those. Still experiencing a bit of sticker shock but they are on my short list. I'd need a bigger practice target I'd I go that route haha.

wayoh22

WKR
You'll get even less FOC with the FMJ's over their Axis counterpart, and the Axis will be more durable as well.
Can you explain how you came to both those conclusions? If he was to go with the Axis he'd be a 260 spine. Compared to the FMJ 250 spine, they're identical in weight at 11.5gpi. With all other things being identical besides the FMJ just being composed differently I'm not understanding how you came to that.

406unltd

WKR
I’d cut that arrow down to a minimum 30.5” with your draw. That will help with foc and may even allow more point weight to help gain even more foc provided the spine will hold up.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I've definitely had my eye on those. Still experiencing a bit of sticker shock but they are on my short list. I'd need a bigger practice target I'd I go that route haha.

You figured it out that long and good FOC dont go together. My current arrows ar 9.5% and perform fine. I perfer a carbon arrow to a bendy FMJ.

Can you explain how you came to both those conclusions? If he was to go with the Axis he'd be a 260 spine. Compared to the FMJ 250 spine, they're identical in weight at 11.5gpi. With all other things being identical besides the FMJ just being composed differently I'm not understanding how you came to that.
Because your numbers are Wrong.
Axis 250 is 9.8 gpi
FMJ 250 is 11.5 gpi