Forcing CPW hand

Ucsdryder

WKR
My glass is going to be half full today. Instead of being pissed off at the 75k increase in hunters applying for the same number of tags, instead of being annoyed Colorado still gives 35% of limited tags to NR in most units, instead of being angry Colorado welcomes the hordes of non residents, making September look like the Mexican-American border as people flood in from every direction, I’m going to be happy.

At some point the hunting in Colorado is going to get so bad, and the draw odds and point creep are going to get so bad that CPW will be forced to make a change.

That's the spirit! Kinda like throwing caution to the wind when your on the border of having had too many, and just throwing back some extra shots for good measure! Gonna hurt in the morning so you might as well embrace it.

The increases in applications across the west are insane! Every state will have to start making changes soon if this trend continues . . .

Rich M

WKR
The opportunities in most other states pretty much suck unless you want to shoot a bigger whitetail or a pig of some sort.

The You Tubers have made it so easy for everyone to apply to all the western states, down to producing videos on specifically what to do to apply.
Add OnX to tell you where you are.
And finally some kind of hunting odds program membership to tell you (and everyone else) what tags to put in for.

Technology has conquered the west!

So now the Residents wish to limit the NR cause they are showing up with their new found knowledge and killing critters.

It is getting bad enough, that those who absolutely "have" to hunt are moving to various states to do the Resident thing as opposed to the NR thing. Then they vote against allowing NR hunting, like they never did it before.

LOL!

BuzzH

WKR
I'll end up moving because of this.
Just can't decide if Wyoming, MT
You're 25 years too late...some of us were smart enough to see what's coming a LONG time ago.

It won't be anything like you expect in another 5-10 years in either State...the good old days are over.

Its not the same in Wyoming now as it was when I moved here over 20 years ago from Montana. Montana isnt close to the same as when I left there either.

You're 25 years too late...some of us were smart enough to see what's coming a LONG time ago.

It won't be anything like you expect in another 5-10 years in either State...the good old days are over.

Its not the same in Wyoming now as it was when I moved here over 20 years ago from Montana. Montana isnt close to the same as when I left there either.
Sorry I couldn't afford to move out in my own to Wyoming when I was 14.
And I can promise you this.
The shittest shit bag day of hunting ever in Wyoming will always be better then the Best day of Oregon hunting.
So yeah its a sliding scale man. Personally I don't believe you can even fathom how bad it can be.

Unless your finally willing to admit the Wolves killed all the elk.

mlgc20

WKR
As a NR who frequently hunts Colorado, I greatly appreciate the opportunities that Colorado allows for my daughters and me. I will be there twice this year (archery and first rifle). Same as last year. I was a resident of a western state (Oregon) for many years. I lived in Central Oregon, and often couldn't get a tag for the unit I lived in. I would frustratingly watch trucks pile in from Portland & Seattle during hunting season and then go watch elk, who were only a rocks throw distance from my back deck. Elk I couldn't hunt. And that was 20 years ago. It's obviously gotten significantly worse.

Who knows what's going to happen to the economy but gas prices are going to be outrageous again starting this summer for at least the next 4 years. That will reduce NR hunters substantially.

@BRTreedogs is Oregon really that bad? I keep hearing that and while most of me believes it, part of me feels like it’s all a Psyops campaign to keep nonresidents from hunting there. I did a lot of fishing and hiking there when I was living in Washington and it seemed like it would be pretty good for hunters.

@BRTreedogs is Oregon really that bad? I keep hearing that and while most of me believes it, part of me feels like it’s all a Psyops campaign to keep nonresidents from hunting there. I did a lot of fishing and hiking there when I was living in Washington and it seemed like it would be pretty good for hunters.
Most all the ranges are less then 7k
All valleys are private. Leaves a very small band for animals to be in.
Coupled with decades of logging roads its very very hard to get more then a few miles.
Lots pressure.
And a rifle bull tag. Haha don't plan on getting one of those un a half decent unit bout every 5 years.
Mule deer, hahaha I think they should quit selling tags for at least 3 year.

Curious, has this uptick been happing over the past 5-10 years? Or just very recently (like the last year or two).

People can be overenthusiastic. A lot of Joe Rogan and Cam Hanes wannabe's have poured into hunting this past year I noticed. I'm wondering if it'll be like camping and weight equipment; everyone will sell their stuff and go back to doing the activities they did before Covid by next year. Craiglist is already flooding with full home gym setups. Camping not yet, but give it time... Next year will be a buttload of used once campers and camping supplies for sale is my bet.

I wonder if this will trend with hunting out west. Hunting is a blast and we all are passionate about it, but not everyone who gets into gets hooked. Especially first-timers. My guess is a lot of us on here have the family tradition connection that convinces us to freeze our ass off, almost get eaten by a grizzly or lion, and destroy shoulders and backs shooting bows and hauling meat. Venison/Elk/bear is good, but so is that $25 sirloin at the butcher shop. Just like that hotel room sure is comfy compared to that tent site...

Jimss

WKR
Similar to other Western states, the CPW has learned that there is big $ in tag application, license, and pref pt fees. Nonres not only bring big $ to the CPW but also to small town economies. The small town business owners in Western Colo appreciate nonres hunters! In fact, they stood up against changes several years ago that would limit nonres tag allocations.

Colo is one of the few places in the Western US a nonres are welcome every year to hunt elk. To top it off, approximately 35% of limited elk, deer, and antelope tags issued to nonres. There may come a day when the CPW limit elk tags but for now the doors are wide open to nonres with open arms! Even though I'm a Colo res I think it's great that Colo doesn't follow suit to other Western States and offers nonres great opportunity!

Jimss

WKR
My guess is that a lot of "hunting want=to=be's" that start off applying in Colo that aren't dedicated will possibly drop out as tags become tougher and tougher to draw. The price to apply may "price-out" some if it gets super expensive to apply with only single digit draw odds. When I first started applying for Western US tags I looked at draw odds, price, and probability that I would draw a tag in my lifetime. Since that time I've dropped out of a number of species and states. There comes a point where I can spend myhard earned $ on trips that I really enjoy rather than high dollar application fees!

Similar to other Western states, the CPW has learned that there is big $ in tag application, license, and pref pt fees. Nonres not only bring big $ to the CPW but also to small town economies. The small town business owners in Western Colo appreciate nonres hunters! In fact, they stood up against changes several years ago that would limit nonres tag allocations.

Colo is one of the few places in the Western US a nonres are welcome every year to hunt elk. To top it off, approximately 35% of limited elk, deer, and antelope tags issued to nonres. There may come a day when the CPW limit elk tags but for now the doors are wide open to nonres with open arms! Even though I'm a Colo res I think it's great that Colo doesn't follow suit to other Western States and offers nonres great opportunity!
Ah, interesting thats for sharing! I hate it when it's about money... Doesn't the weed bring in enough tourists for CO? that sucks.

WCB

WKR
Any state that has guaranteed tags or OTC tags will be changing the rules in the next couple years if this demand keeps up. That is what happens when you spoon feed people information, and advertise "easy to get" "OTC DIY" every day of the week.

Gas prices are not going to phase people if COVID didn't and states doubling license prices or charge stupid non-refundable fees just to apply didn't