FORLOH pack launched today!

twall13

WKR
I'd love to hear some real world Rokslide reviews on this. I'm really struggling with the 22" frame which equals non effective load lifters for me. The bag can have all the innovation and features you can think to throw on it, but if the frame doesn't feel comfortable with 80 lbs. loaded up, I could care less how awesome the bag is.

madcalfe

WKR
im with everyone as well on the 22" frame. also are the shoulder straps adjustable?
the frame sheet looks rather flimsy from the video and the backpack would rock side to side bad with heavy loads.

bsnedeker

WKR
the frame sheet looks rather flimsy from the video and the backpack would rock side to side bad with heavy loads.

That's interesting....I thought the frame looked rock solid. In fact I thought it might actually be TOO rigid at first glance.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

madcalfe

WKR
That's interesting....I thought the frame looked rock solid. In fact I thought it might actually be TOO rigid at first glance.

on their site they have a video of a guy holding the frame pulling out the meat self and it looks like the frame twists side to side while doing it. i could be wrong though. but for the price of this bag and 22" frame ill stick with my kifaru and stone glacier.

Stone Glacier has had a Berry Compliant pack for quite a few years now.

Actually, maybe all SG packs are Berry Compliant?

"Built with industry leading textiles, such as Cordura® and Xpac®, all of our packs are manufactured in the USA utilizing 100% Berry Compliant materials."

bsnedeker

WKR
Actually, maybe all SG packs are Berry Compliant?

"Built with industry leading textiles, such as Cordura and Xpac, all of our packs are manufactured in the USA utilizing 100% Berry Compliant materials."

Where are you seeing that? When I click on the link about "made in the USA" this is what it says:

STONE GLACIER MANUFACTURING

Stone Glacier backpacks and backpack accessories are proudly Made in the USA. Not only are the products manufactured in the USA, but all USA produced fabrics and hardware are used where available.

So they use USA sources "when available" whatever that means.

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What makes this pack better than anything else on the market? Honest question, don't know anything about it.
Good question! Outside of being 100% sourced in the USA too - we built this to really be a do it all pack. You can take the body away and add the dry bag and use the frame and make it a day pack. It is fully submergible, so if you're on a packraft trip or on a kayak it can be the pack for that too. You can customize it to your needs. And it is fast to set up. When we were testing last winter in MT is was nice and easy so when your hands are frozen you don't need to be nimble to t it adjusted. It is incredibly tough, you can't hurt it that fabric. Our hope is that this is the last pack you will ever need. And it is covered by our satisfaction guarantee.

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
22” inch frame isn’t going to allow any load lifting for taller folks like me….and $825 - more expensive than any other…..Kifaru, SG, EXO, SO, etc. looks like some nice features but I think at that price point there are to many other proven options….wish you the best with this project.
There are other packs out there, sure. 100% USA made? Few. We are lucky that at FORLOH we set out to make the best pack, starting with fabric, making custom G-hooks, making breathable mesh, ect. and we don't worry about the cost, because we want it to be the best. We cost it at the end. Most brands start with a cost then build down and base their textiles, their treatments, ect. based on that price point. It also helps we do not have to worry about import fees or shipping around the world. But overall our margins are pretty slim on this pack and you will rarely see it on sale. But out hope is that it is the last pack you'll ever need. That it will be the pack that your kids can use.

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Comparable to kifaru pricing once you include most necessary accessories.

I’m skeptical about that material. They say it’s quiet, lightweight, tough, but what’s the trade off? Long-term durability? Noise when cold? If this was the magic fabric that truly checked all those boxes, one of the longer-running manufacturers would have used it already.
This fabric is very expensive. It is truly the highlight of the pack. It is double coated to be waterproof. Most companies are looking to make large margins and have to compute foreign import and shipping fees. We don't. We get to be creative on textiles because we get to resource here. Try it out! Satisfaction guaranteed and free returns if you want to feel the fabric.

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you are looking for a 100% made in America pack this is the only option other than Kifaru so I'm really glad to see some competition in that market.

I think some additional frame sizes and some additional bag choices would really help fill some of the gaps mentioned above.

Do you have these available in the Whitefish store for me to put hands on?

We sure do have it in Whitefish and our Austin store! Come check it out. We have weights so we can load it up for you. Ask for Hannah :)

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the waterproof fabric and the the Recco sensors are a neat idea. I would be interested in trying on the frame as well to see how comfortable the shoulder straps and hip belt design is when loaded.

That being said, I don’t think I’d ever be looking at this current frame based on a 22” frame height. The additional tabs on the bag don’t seem like they would support the load lifters the same as a frame attachment would. But maybe I’m wrong on this?

In the photo on the website with the gentleman with a loaded meat shelf and bag, I would be real curious as to the actual weight in meat shelf and bag. I’m guessing it’s not all too heavy in that picture and a truly loaded shelf and pack might ride differently. But I sure would love to be totally incorrect on this guess.

All that said, I’m excited for new players in the market and to see how the line develops.
The frame is carbon fiber and back has dual density reinforced shoulders, and quad density reinforced hips to make it stand up to any amount of weight!

OP
ForlohFamily

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I immediately thought the same thing, that picture looks un doable with real weight. It does look like a nice pack and I like the built in pouch on the belt since I always add one anyway, but I’m also curious if it’s as shiny as the pictures make it look? Looks like some interesting features and it’d be interesting to see one in person, but there’s definitely some things to look at for that $

im with everyone as well on the 22" frame. also are the shoulder straps adjustable?
Yes! Its is adjustable! We double reinforce the shoulders and quad reinforce at the hips. Tested and retested and retested and retested and it holds up. I know it is expensive, but it is backed by a lifetime guarantee and we have free returns.

Where are you seeing that? When I click on the link about "made in the USA" this is what it says:

STONE GLACIER MANUFACTURING

Stone Glacier backpacks and backpack accessories are proudly Made in the USA. Not only are the products manufactured in the USA, but all USA produced fabrics and hardware are used where available.

So they use USA sources "when available" whatever that means.

I posted the quote, and the link. It's right there.

1654286220119.png

I posted the quote, and the link. It's right there.

View attachment 416492

Anyway, I previously understood the R3 frame and bags to be 100% Berry Compliant, and the others almost but not quite.

To say, as you did @bsnedeker "If you are looking for a 100% made in America pack this is the only option other than Kifaru" is demonstrably false.

BBob

WKR
I don't know how you completely missed the mark on that frame and load lifters. Basically those lifters lift nothing and just serve to pull the pack tight against your back. Load lifters are supposed to offer the option to take some weight off the shoulders and let the hip belt and sternum strap carry it. Proper load lifters are part of a system to transfer weight as needed or wanted, without them it's lacking functionality. You might get away with it on a pack that size and smaller (still not optimal) but when you offer up larger capacity bags that'll be for sure a non-starter for anyone that's used a pack before and carried more than 35-40 lbs or so.

Sheesh....these pack companies would save time, effort and internet criticisms if only they sent a few WKR's some sample packs to try before building and finalizing the designs ;)

Last edited: