FORLOH pack launched today!

bsnedeker

WKR
Anyway, I previously understood the R3 frame and bags to be 100% Berry Compliant, and the others almost but not quite.

To say, as you did @bsnedeker "If you are looking for a 100% made in America pack this is the only option other than Kifaru" is demonstrably false.
Oh really? Because I ALSO posted a quote from that same website that directly contradicts it... so you just choose to believe one abs bit the other? How about the fact that Kurt has come on this very website and stated multiple times that they don't source everything in the USA.

Drink whatever cool aid you want, I'm not buying it.

Edit: I just called stone glacier. The R3 packs are Berry Compliant. None of their other packs are.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
Oh really? Because I ALSO posted a quote from that same website that directly contradicts it... so you just choose to believe one abs bit the other? How about the fact that Kurt has come on this very website and stated multiple times that they don't source everything in the USA.

Edit: I just called stone glacier. The R3 packs are Berry Compliant. None of their other packs are.

Sounds like you’ve made your point several times over. Do we benefit from having this discussion all the time?

One thing I’ve learned about rokslide and product launches.

Companies should just make 1 prototype pack and post specs then everyone can shit talk it not ever having seen it and engineer it through 1 image. Lol

I remember when badlands was basically one of the only good hunting packs on the market. And now they aren’t even in the top 7 or 8.

Stone glacier is for sure in the top 3 and they didn’t even get power pulls on their hip belts until 2022. Sometimes a new kid on the block helps the old goats improve products because they have no reason to if your already buying their product and their isn’t competition.

Mojave

WKR
One thing I’ve learned about rokslide and product launches.

Companies should just make 1 prototype pack and post specs then everyone can shit talk it not ever having seen it and engineer it through 1 image. Lol

I remember when badlands was basically one of the only good hunting packs on the market. And now they aren’t even in the top 7 or 8.

Stone glacier is for sure in the top 3 and they didn’t even get power pulls on their hip belts until 2022. Sometimes a new kid on the block helps the old goats improve products because they have no reason to if your already buying their product and their isn’t competition.

This will never change.

Old hat big companies won't change until some little guy does something innovative that the old hat should have been doing all along.

I went to my first big trade show (I think it was a 1996 or 1997 era Sheep Show in Reno) and Leupold was there. Burris had started building a 1 inch fullfield for $100 cheaper than a Vari-X-1 with all brass internals. The dials clicked and it was a much brighter scope than a Leupold Vari X-1. Leupold had mushy non click dials.

I said something about how I wished they did something like Burris did, to the Leupold salesman and he got really shitty with me over it. Saying that Leupold would always be the best in America. A year or two later, Leupold finally built a better scope. Maybe not as good as the Burris, but they finally added a few of the same features.

Big companies are rarely reactive to their competitors, usually only when it is too late.

Berry compliant and significantly cheaper than Forloh or a comparable Kifaru. No hate, I own both SG and Kifaru packs. [EDIT: removed unnecessary snark]

More on topic: taller frame height and solid colors, please

Last edited:

:)

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I watched the videos, there are some features I liked (thought the load shelf built into the frame was pretty slick), but at 22" frame it's gonna be a hard pass. The torso adjustment in the video looked like it only extended the shoulder strap length, and didn't get you any more load lifter angle. I use a 26" frame now, a 22" would give me pretty much zero lift.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
Oh... all the flexing and 100% made in USA virtue signaling just doesn't get old does it! Fanboys type away on their not made in USA devices like they know everything about every pack brand, even though they don't work there, all while wearing not made in USA clothing, looking through not made in USA glass, and driving "American" trucks half manufactured in Mexico, containing made in China computer chips.

Yet without regurgitating something their Instagram crush stated, can anyone explain something about actual performance and function of a backpack and how it is directly attributed to their preferred pack's country of origin percentage? Since this is a backpack forum, it might be helpful to some readers to learn something about a pack other than how cool someone is because their pack is 100% made in the US.

100% made in USA is great! But the reality is that single factor does not make a pack perform or function any better than another pack that isn't 100% made in USA. Might make someone feel special though. Might even make me feel special?

Phaseolus

WKR
If you are looking for a 100% made in America pack this is the only option other than Kifaru so I'm really glad to see some competition in that market.

I think some additional frame sizes and some additional bag choices would really help fill some of the gaps mentioned above.

Do you have these available in the Whitefish store for me to put hands on?

You should research Seek Outside a little better, their materials are US sourced.

bsnedeker

WKR
You should research Seek Outside a little better, their materials are US sourced.

Sorry, you are 100% incorrect on that, and I have done my research. SO recently switched all of their pack materials to this new "advanced" fabrics. I asked them in that thread where that material was sourced and they wouldn't answer....but they did mention in that thread which company they were getting their fabric from.

So I made a phone call and asked them directly...they make their material in China.

bsnedeker

WKR
Oh... all the flexing and 100% made in USA virtue signaling just doesn't get old does it! Fanboys type away on their not made in USA devices like they know everything about every pack brand, even though they don't work there, all while wearing not made in USA clothing, looking through not made in USA glass, and driving "American" trucks half manufactured in Mexico, containing made in China computer chips.

Yet without regurgitating something their Instagram crush stated, can anyone explain something about actual performance and function of a backpack and how it is directly attributed to their preferred pack's country of origin percentage? Since this is a backpack forum, it might be helpful to some readers to learn something about a pack other than how cool someone is because their pack is 100% made in the US.

100% made in USA is great! But the reality is that single factor does not make a pack perform or function any better than another pack that isn't 100% made in USA. Might make someone feel special though. Might even make me feel special?
Lol....and here you are "virtue signaling" about how you don't care where something is made...you only care about form and function because you are a TRUE CONNESIUER of backpacks!

Give me a break.

When you buy a 100% made and sourced in the USA product you are supporting the economy of THIS country that we all live in and you are NOT supporting the economies of other countries. It's pretty simple stuff.

I buy American wherever I can. I can't buy a phone made in the USA. I can't buy a truck made in the USA. But I can buy clothes made here, and I can buy backpacks made here....and I do.

Yes, it makes me FEEL better to be supporting this country. Does it bother you that I make buying decisions based on how those purchases make me feel? I hate to break it to you...but that is what the entire purpose of "brands" and "marketing" is....it is to connect with the customer and create an emotional response in them when they think of their brand.

Forloh has decided to focus their brand and their marketing on being 100% made and sourced in the USA...a claim that they back up with every product they release. You seem to be offended by this...I think that says a LOT more about who you are as a person, than it does about the people that choose to support American businesses.

bsnedeker

WKR
Berry compliant and significantly cheaper than Forloh or a comparable Kifaru. No hate, I own both SG and Kifaru packs. [EDIT: removed unnecessary snark]

More on topic: taller frame height and solid colors, please

Do you think they might be able to keep their prices low because every other product they make is sourced overseas? Do you think that might help them maintain a better profit margin for their business overall?

sndmn11

WKR
Lol....and here you are "virtue signaling" about how you don't care where something is made...you only care about form and function because you are a TRUE CONNESIUER of backpacks!

Give me a break.

When you buy a 100% made and sourced in the USA product you are supporting the economy of THIS country that we all live in and you are NOT supporting the economies of other countries. It's pretty simple stuff.

I buy American wherever I can. I can't buy a phone made in the USA. I can't buy a truck made in the USA. But I can buy clothes made here, and I can buy backpacks made here....and I do.

Yes, it makes me FEEL better to be supporting this country. Does it bother you that I make buying decisions based on how those purchases make me feel? I hate to break it to you...but that is what the entire purpose of "brands" and "marketing" is....it is to connect with the customer and create an emotional response in them when they think of their brand.

Forloh has decided to focus their brand and their marketing on being 100% made and sourced in the USA...a claim that they back up with every product they release. You seem to be offended by this...I think that says a LOT more about who you are as a person, than it does about the people that choose to support American businesses.
What does YKK stand for?

Do you think they might be able to keep their prices low because every other product they make is sourced overseas? Do you think that might help them maintain a better profit margin for their business overall?
What imported materials? How much? X-pac and Duraflex buckles are both berry-compliant. So is it just the webbing? Just the main bag cordura fabric? That’s not that significant of a cost difference. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard the exo guys say they’re about 95% USA sourced.

With kifaru’s growth and frequent sales, you won’t convince me their margins aren’t in line with SG’s or Exo’s.

It’ll be interesting to see if Forloh can do 20-30% off like Kifaru can. According to a post in this thread, it’s unlikely.

bsnedeker

WKR
What imported materials? How much? X-pac and Duraflex buckles are both berry-compliant. So is it just the webbing? Just the main bag cordura fabric? That’s not that significant of a cost difference. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard the exo guys say they’re about 95% USA sourced.

With kifaru’s growth and frequent sales, you won’t convince me their margins aren’t in line with SG’s or Exo’s.

It’ll be interesting to see if Forloh can do 20-30% off like Kifaru can. According to a post in this thread, it’s unlikely.
I have no idea...whatever it is I can promise the reason that they outsource whatever they outsource is 100% related to profit margin.

And yes, I believe that Kifaru is doing about the same from a profit margin perspective as the others are...but they are making that profit margin at a higher price point. By pricing themselves higher they are losing sales to people that won't pay extra for USA made gear and based on this thread, that is clearly a larger number of people. Those people are going to pick the lower-priced option, so there is clearly a motivation for those companies to outsource whatever materials they can in order to keep the prices lower.

And again, there is nothing wrong with that. I have no problem with a company buying from overseas and it's great that they get as much as they can from the USA and make everything here. I just personally won't buy one of their packs since I have the option of buying one from a company that is 100% USA made and sourced goods and I'm glad to see more companies entering that market.

It frankly boggles my mind that people talk smack about companies that source and make their goods in this country as if they are somehow superior because they don't care where the stuff they buy is made.

I have no idea...whatever it is I can promise the reason that they outsource whatever they outsource is 100% related to profit margin.

And yes, I believe that Kifaru is doing about the same from a profit margin perspective as the others are...but they are making that profit margin at a higher price point. By pricing themselves higher they are losing sales to people that won't pay extra for USA made gear and based on this thread, that is clearly a larger number of people. Those people are going to pick the lower-priced option, so there is clearly a motivation for those companies to outsource whatever materials they can in order to keep the prices lower.

And again, there is nothing wrong with that. I have no problem with a company buying from overseas and it's great that they get as much as they can from the USA and make everything here. I just personally won't buy one of their packs since I have the option of buying one from a company that is 100% USA made and sourced goods and I'm glad to see more companies entering that market.

It frankly boggles my mind that people talk smack about companies that source and make their goods in this country as if they are somehow superior because they don't care where the stuff they buy is made.
When I buy a Seek Outside product I'm supporting a business that employs people in manufacturing in my home state of Colorado, which is more than I can say for Kifaru now.