Fort Collins vs Southern WY

Wyo_hntr

WKR
20240321_083318.jpg20240321_083339.jpg

A literal two minute drive found two known drug users....if only they were real.

I'm not saying Cheyenne is Chicago, LA, or Denver. It isnt. What I am saying, there is a homeless issue and drug issue in town. Cheyenne is probably the last city in Wyoming I'd want to live in (outside of Wamsutter), especially if hunting is considered (and you don't have private property access).

Hnthrdr

WKR
View attachment 689983
View attachment 689984

These lovely urban campers aren't real. A figment of my imagination. Definitely don't use illegal substances. Those don't exist in Cheyenne.
Hahahaha… that is comical compared to what I deal with every day in Denver… I bet Cheyenne cops will even hassle them some… this plague of anti civilization definitely needs to stop. Allowing humans to wallow in suffering, addiction as a rule of thumb is an awful idea and only leads to more suffering/ death. Need to be offered 2 choices: jail or rehab. Then a very structured program to get them back to being a member of society not outside of it. Rant over.

WKR
@Wyo_hntr

Nobody has said that there aren't drugs or homeless. That's your own red herring.

I've lived for over a decade in one of your Wyoming "dream towns" with pine trees and mountains just out the back door. They have drug and homeless problems too, but it's all relative.

Cheyenne isn't a utopia, nor has anybody claimed that. Nor is it a wasteland of homeless drug addicts and if you don't hang out in the worst parts of town, its a relatively minor issue for most people.

go_deep

WKR
I'm sure what I had to say maybe came off strong, but I know people who have moved into town and think it's Mayberry. While few place are, you need to know and understand that when it comes to crime and drugs, your not leaving any of that behind. The average person drivers around town from maybe 7a.m. to maybe 9 p.m. I work for a utility company and have to work maintenance from midnight to 5 a.m. a couple times a month, that's when you find out how many cockroaches and rats are in your communities, I see more than I'd prefer. Does it exist on some level in every town USA? I'm sure, but like I said, don't think you're leaving any big city problems behind.
Wish you luck on your decision! One piece of advise compare 2 similar homes in different parts of town, you'll figure out real fast which parts of town, even with newer homes people don't want to live in for reasons stated above.

WKR
I'm sure what I had to say maybe came off strong, but I know people who have moved into town and think it's Mayberry. While few place are, you need to know and understand that when it comes to crime and drugs, your not leaving any of that behind. The average person drivers around town from maybe 7a.m. to maybe 9 p.m. I work for a utility company and have to work maintenance from midnight to 5 a.m. a couple times a month, that's when you find out how many cockroaches and rats are in your communities, I see more than I'd prefer. Does it exist on some level in every town USA? I'm sure, but like I said, don't think you're leaving any big city problems behind.
Wish you luck on your decision! One piece of advise compare 2 similar homes in different parts of town, you'll figure out real fast which parts of town, even with newer homes people don't want to live in for reasons stated above.
Good perspective.

In some professions, say law enforcement, you're bound to see a ton more of the "bad stuff" in any community. I'm sure that can really skew perspective unless you'd had a similar role in another community for a valid comparison.

Mojave

WKR
I don't know why people get mad at people that tell them the truth.

Even Mormon towns in Utah have the same riff raff problem. This isn't a Wyoming issue, or a Colorado issue. This is the way things are. Everyone has to deal with drug heads now.

The park outside of the VA is full of homeless veterans that spend the day outside of the homeless veteran center. There are other riff raff in town.

The only real leftist liberal town in Wyoming is Jackson.

Couple hundred thousand new immigrants from another state and Wyoming could tip hard left really quickly.

OP
Fever Buck
Just saw that they have a 1000 yard range just west of town. Pretty neat. Anyone here shoot there?

Couple hundred thousand new immigrants from another state and Wyoming could tip hard left really quickly.
That's what concerns me, the population is so low it wouldn't take much to tip the pendulum. I absolutely love how red it is up there though. Even the guy in the ski shop in Laramie was talking about running liberals out of town. The three youngens in there browsing were looking at him funny and he didn't care one bit. I'm gonna go back and buy some skis there.
Just saw that they have a 1000 yard range just west of town. Pretty neat. Anyone here shoot there?
Yeah it's membership only, can't just pay to shoot, but the membership is cheap as dirt. They have a good setup there and you just get a gate combo and go shoot when you want without any hassle. Maybe I shouldn't post this on the internet, it's like spot burning for ranges. lol

Hnthrdr

WKR

Even Mormon towns in Utah have the same riff raff problem. This isn't a Wyoming issue, or a Colorado issue. This is the way things are. Everyone has to deal with drug heads now.

The park outside of the VA is full of homeless veterans that spend the day outside of the homeless veteran center. There are other riff raff in town.

This is a real concern… lots of folks in wyo, ID or MT pretend what happened in Co couldn’t happen there… and when you have a fraction of the pop that co has it could happen quick if folks aren’t careful. I hope like hell that it doesn’t.

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I have pretty limited experience, I've only stayed in Wellington for a weekend. Was up there for a VDDGNA hunt test with my dog in a town just east of Wellington in Nunn CO. I thought the area was pretty nice. Besides backing up to 25 Wellington seemed pretty pleasant and had necessities. Nunn was more my pace. Ft Collins seemed like a decent college town to me, good and bad with that I guess. Nice option of eats.

85 runs from Nunn to Cheyenne as well. I think it's a little bit quicker than 25 from wellington.

Mojave

WKR
That's what concerns me, the population is so low it wouldn't take much to tip the pendulum. I absolutely love how red it is up there though. Even the guy in the ski shop in Laramie was talking about running liberals out of town. The three youngens in there browsing were looking at him funny and he didn't care one bit. I'm gonna go back and buy some skis there.

Yeah it's membership only, can't just pay to shoot, but the membership is cheap as dirt. They have a good setup there and you just get a gate combo and go shoot when you want without any hassle. Maybe I shouldn't post this on the internet, it's like spot burning for ranges. lol
My dad shoots there. It's ok. Biggest other problem with Cheyenne is there is zero public land. Couple=3 hours and you are someplace decent though.

WKR
Rifle range(s) and indoor archery range(s) (even better) are definite highlights for the hunting crowd.

The lack of public land is definitely not ideal and there isn't really much water around either.

The proximity to the front range can be a plus or a minus. You can find and do pretty much anything down there within 1.5 hours of Cheyenne, but they flock to SE Wyoming to take advantage of our natural areas. Double edged sword, but coming from Denver, it may feel like a huge positive since you're used to crowds.

WKR
This is a real concern… lots of folks in wyo, ID or MT pretend what happened in Co couldn’t happen there… and when you have a fraction of the pop that co has it could happen quick if folks aren’t careful. I hope like hell that it doesn’t.
You can see how much whining there is about the wind on this board. It's a population limiter, especially for those who like more gentle surroundings.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You can see how much whining there is about the wind on this board. It's a population limiter, especially for those who like more gentle surroundings.
I agree… and I hope it keeps them out, I wouldn’t wish Co current state of affairs on anyone it’s a mess down here

Wyo_hntr

WKR

Look at the west edge development plan if you haven't. The current city council, DDA, and West edge development district want Cheyenne to be the next Ft. Collins. They'll get it too.

Narcan is already available in the Police Department lobby. A needle exchange is in the works atm.

It's only a matter of time. (but that's crazy talk and will never happen 😉)

def90

WKR
Howdy folks, I have a job opportunity up in Cheyenne WY. As much as I’d like to become a WY resident, I’ve heard that it’s not a great place to live. My family and I live west of Denver (so I’m aware of the negatives to living in CO) and are thinking we could just move to Fort Collins and I’d commute to Cheyenne.

Anyone have any opinions on Fort Collins vs Cheyenne? Anyone done the commute? Any overall thoughts on Fort Collins as a whole? Areas to avoid, good restaurants, things to do, etc?

Any opinions would be great, expecting the offer for the job to come this week and we’d be needing to make a move pretty soon afterwards.

Have also edited the thread title to include Southern WY. I’m open to moving there as well if it’s a good fit. My long term plan is to end up in WY, so I’d love to be able to do it sooner.

Ft Collins, way more expensive.. Colorado semi-auto weapons ban on the way.

Wyoming, home prices in Cheyenne are probably a third of prices in Ft Collins, no state income tax.

OP
Fever Buck

Look at the west edge development plan if you haven't. The current city council, DDA, and West edge development district want Cheyenne to be the next Ft. Collins. They'll get it too.

Narcan is already available in the Police Department lobby. A needle exchange is in the works atm.

It's only a matter of time. (but that's crazy talk and will never happen 😉)
Do you have any links to the development plans?