Frame pack and saddle hunting

OP
H

HRT1

FNG
a33c5769a62d0ac3904479a8bccc3c7a.jpg

Shot this guy at 12 yds last week. He was 5 yds from my tree at one point. Cant say ive had one sniff my tree where the pack is leaned up. Im sure he’d smell my sticks, boot path and copenhagen spit simultaneous to smelling the pack anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Convinced me. Beautiful buck!

DWinVA

WKR
I use a Kifaru Stryker XL. I secure my saddle & one stick to it with a Sherman pocket for the hike in & out. Put my saddle on at the tree and one stick up the tree with the pack on. Hang it on my right side. Kill a deer, rappel down then quarter & pack it out. God Bless.

Attachments

• B1C33E5C-1376-4C4A-9B9D-8986B3DCDE35.jpeg
    B1C33E5C-1376-4C4A-9B9D-8986B3DCDE35.jpeg
    489.2 KB · Views: 60
OP
H

HRT1

FNG
I use a Kifaru Stryker XL. I secure my saddle & one stick to it with a Sherman pocket for the hike in & out. Put my saddle on at the tree and one stick up the tree with the pack on. Hang it on my right side. Kill a deer, rappel down then quarter & pack it out. God Bless.
I like it. Where in VA are you?

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using the Stryker XL and Sherman too.
The Fix or .5 in the shelf and either doubles, fulls, or 17" sticks under the Sherman.
Before the Kifaru I was using a Venture 2300... that pack sucks compared to the Stryker set up.
-Campbell County, Virginia

OP
H

HRT1

FNG
A lot of Virginians on here! I grew up in Bedford Co, but live in Highland Co now. Thanks for all of your pack thoughts!

stump06

WKR
I use a shape charge when hunting around the house and a 22 mag or Stryker xl when hunting midwest. I take it up the tree with me and hang it from my daisy chain

JjamesIII

WKR
Hey guys. Just getting into saddle hunting and can’t believe it has taken me this long to see the light. I do tend to hunt deep enough that I prefer to quarter and pack out rather than drag, which means I am taking a pretty big pack in with me. I am currently using a Kifaru 44 mag which is probably overkill, but is what I have. My question is what do you guys do when you take a big pack into the backcountry for a saddle hunt. Do you bring it into the tree? Cache it close by? Leave it in the truck and just know you are going to have to make a couple of trips? Thanks for your insight.
Mystery ranch cabinet- perfect size to strap down steps, platform, gear. Plus a good meat shelf for deer quarters

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I use my Kuiu 6000 for whitetail stuff just cause it's what I have. I just started using a saddle this year so I'm still trying to find the sweet spot for how I like to set it up but it usually comes up the tree with me. The big pack is nice for being able to just toss everything in and not have to actually pack (extra layers, snacks, rattling antlers, etc.) but it does seem excessive a lot of times. I may try ditching the bag and just strapping platform and sticks to the frame and just taking the lid for little stuff.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
i always leave the pack at the ground. if they get that close. Even with a bow. they dead.

OP
H

HRT1

FNG
This thread has got me eyeing a Stryker XL…might have to try it out. There are few questions that “get another bag” doesn’t answer.

I saddle hunt and went from a Stryker xl to a 44 mag. I love being able to put everything in the bag and not have to strap anything to the outside unless I want it to carry my bow. It compresses down enough that I can't tell a difference between it and the stryker xl. Up the tree, I'll hang it from my gear strap and attach the waist belt around the trunk. I know I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum but having a big pack is more convenient for me.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Another saddle hunter here. I use an EXO 4800. Compress is down for day hunts and carry everything inside the bag in and out. Compress it once to the tree and hang it directly in front of me. I like having the pack directly between me and the tree and it reduced the overall profile while up. It also allows me to have everything from snacks to water directly in front of me without making much movement to get anything, The only downside is it cramps me if I attempt to turn and stand against the tree.

Ghetto

FNG
No matter the size I carry mine into the tree and hang it a little low and to my right with a daisy chain rope.

I used my Metcalf for a while but decided to try the ever trendy Eberlestock X2 and turns out it’s worth the hype. Perfect size and versatility and carries a load better than the Metcalf for me. Doesn’t have the high quality straps and buckles of the other packs though.

Last edited:

JCMCUBIC

WKR
After I climb, set up platform, etc, I put my lineman's belt around the tree, pull the pack up, and hang it from the lineman's belt. I want access to the stuff in my pack while I'm in the tree.

Jqlarson

FNG
Mystery ranch popup28. If I am packing in/out more clothing layers I’ll stash them in the meat hauler space between the frame and bag. It’s worked well for me, good and light with meat haul capability but not overkill on bag.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I tried the Transfer Pack from FL and was not a fan. It was too large and did not wear well, would be good in the tree though.

I hike in pretty deep but only have one buck tag a year, so I keep the kill kit in a larger bag in the truck. I have a knife on me and can field dress and maybe take a quarter out with me when I go to get the larger bag. It makes for more hiking but definitely lighter hiking.

ljaq516

FNG
Another saddle hunter here. I use an EXO 4800. Compress is down for day hunts and carry everything inside the bag in and out. Compress it once to the tree and hang it directly in front of me. I like having the pack directly between me and the tree and it reduced the overall profile while up. It also allows me to have everything from snacks to water directly in front of me without making much movement to get anything, The only downside is it cramps me if I attempt to turn and stand against the tree.

Do you have pics of your platform and sticks attached to your Exo? Would like to see how it would be set up. Do you find not having a ton of organization in the Exo a disadvantage or do just rig up your own organization? I’ve always wondering how packs like the Exo, Stone Glacier, Kifaru would do with whitetail day hunts using a saddle. Thanks for sharing.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have pics of your platform and sticks attached to your Exo? Would like to see how it would be set up. Do you find not having a ton of organization in the Exo a disadvantage or do just rig up your own organization? I’ve always wondering how packs like the Exo, Stone Glacier, Kifaru would do with whitetail day hunts using a saddle. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry I don’t have any pictures. I one stick but use a platform when in the tree. This past year I began dumping everything including the saddle into the pack for the walk in and out. Once at the tree I’d cinch the bag back down to compress it for while in the tree. I was using a Badlands Diablo Dos and I was happier with the organization in the EXO due to cinching it down even though it was a much larger bag.

I did take a multi day hunt and for that I strapped the stick and saddle to the back of the pack and slipped the platform between the pack and the frame. Worked out really well and I was happy with how it performed.