Free Rifle

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the responses so far. Y’all are going to hate me now, but what if you had $5k to spend?

You’re right, I hate you.

Joking aside, If your $5k budget is cash, there are tons of options, but if it’s a gun-related gift totaled out at $5k I’d focus on either a fancy-pants shotgun, or a heavy LR precision rig. These two options are going to get you more mileage for $5k rather than a utilitarian hunting rifle. Diminishing returns beyond $3k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
Thanks for the feedback fellers. I think I’m going with a $1k rifle and split the rest between a scope and binos. I’ll be sure to update the thread when I get everything in.

Apollo117

WKR
I shoot it off of sand bags and put the front bag near even with the front edge of the magazine.

It seemed to shoot around 1-1.5" for the first 50 rounds, and then it seemed to open up to 2-3". It shot hornadys reduced recoil the best and was no better than 2-2.25. American whitetail 149gr was about 5". Best load I could find with 130gr Sierra PHs was around 3". I'm trying to find a load for 145gr Speer hot cors with h4350 and haven't found anything yet.

The lugs definitely don't have even contact, and the crown/muzzle area looks like it's pitted, but I haven't done anything to cause that. Someone said they think it looks like barrel rot (defective steel that has inclusions).
They must've used a worn out reamer from the trash can for that barrel. Send it back to Savage. They'll fix it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I had an extra 5k given to me with the expectation that it would be used for a gun, I’d get that gunwerks skuhl.

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of options the first couple that came to mind are a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness or Backcountry model. Put a Swaro Z3 4-12x50 BT on top and you’re right on the budget.
The last couple Browning X-Bolts I’ve shot have been great that’s another one to put in the mix. The Hunter model is about $850 I think? Pick whatever cartridge you want they’ll all work but 270 win fits what your looking for. Mild recoil and a deer and elk killer. If you’re not messing with elk much my vote is 25-06 it’s a deer killing machine with 100 gr ttsx. Or if you go the Weatherby Vanguard route might as well look at the 257 wby it’s a fun one too

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
for $2k?

I’ll take Tikka in (gasp) 308, Alex
SWFA SS milquad
Thunderbeast Ultra 7 30 cal
if any money left over buy Lapua brass and a bunch of Lapua Scenar 155’s.

for $5k I’d roll with:
2k for rifle, Ridgeline in 308 or 6.5 PRC or whatever flavor you’d like, or maybe wait and see if Tikka comes out with the 6.5 PRC this fall/winter and save some dough
1 to 2k for scope
and a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 30 cal.
and money left over for brass and bullets.

For $2k, I'd finish my 1903A3 build...new .35 Whelen barrel w/brake, French walnut, Leupold 6x....

OP
C

CJohnson

WKR
Just to update, I ended up going with a Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm REM Mag with a Leupold VX-5HD in 3-15x44. The first three shots at 100 yards after bore sighting could be covered with a nickel. I’m very impressive with the rifle all around. It’s light, the action is smooth, the recoil is lighter than my BAR, and it looks great.

Spoonbill

WKR
Just to update, I ended up going with a Christensen Ridgeline in 7mm REM Mag with a Leupold VX-5HD in 3-15x44. The first three shots at 100 yards after bore sighting could be covered with a nickel. I’m very impressive with the rifle all around. It’s light, the action is smooth, the recoil is lighter than my BAR, and it looks great.
Glad to hear you like that set up. Everyone one I know who has a Christensen has been happy with it. Good luck hunting with your new gun.