Friction and Hot spots

ClydeM

FNG
For the last 2 years I’ve had issues with friction and hot spots. I’ve worn Danner Pronghorns and now Crispi Lapponia 2’s(both with Superfeet Trailblazer insoles, due to being flat footed).

Both boots have felt great. However, after 4-5 miles I start to get hot spots. I use Darn Tough Merino wool socks and recently added Smart wool sock liners(the liners did help a bit).

My next strategy will be using foot powder and trying a lacing technique to ensure a good heel lock.

**Using leukotape does completely eliminate the issue, but I’d rather not tape my feet every time I go out if there’s another way

Outside of all of that, anyone have any suggestions/tips?

mtbraun

FNG
I get hotspots with my Crispis also, so I just tape. But I also run ultras and don't generally have foot issues during those, so for me its the boots.

I had a very similar issue with schnees boots. I switched brands a few times and ended up with Kennitrek Mountain Extremes... After that no more hot spots. I also wear the stone glacier socks for what its worth.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
You need a different type of boot, or work on toughening up your feet. They're too soft.
I’m extremely flat footed, so there’s no natural support or structure to keep them from moving around in hilly terrain. I also spent just about every weekend from early September to early December in the mountains to try to get my feet adjusted. As far as boots, I’ve tried stiff sole, moderate sole, and now flexible sole. The flexible sole are the best, but it hasn’t completely eliminated the issue

I’m extremely flat footed, so there’s no natural support or structure to keep them from moving around in hilly terrain.

Try toughening your feet by doing a lot of barefoot walking. Running barefoot in sneakers is another thing that'll toughen them up. Something, anything, to put some serious calluses on your feet.

When your feet are truly mountain ready, it shouldn't matter what type of footwear you have on, because your feet will be conditioned for come what may.

If you haven’t yet, try a thin synthetic liner. I use merino socks but for some reason the synthetic or silk liners work better. Might be they are more slippery and reduce friction.

It might also be a heat thing. If you’re running a GTX boot and a thick wool sock, things can start to get steamy in the summer and early fall.

I have worn a thin silk or nylon sock under my wool socks for 50 years. No blisters, or irritations or problems. They are just getting hard to find. The few times I have worn cotton socks - you sweat, they rub, you regret being lazy.

Recently I have found problems with really bulky wool socks. They tend to pack the toe box and cause some problems on downhill and extended hikes. I changed back to my long time socks and the irritation went away. Some of the new improvements are creating bigger problems along with the proven choices getting harder to find.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Try toughening your feet by doing a lot of barefoot walking. Running barefoot in sneakers is another thing that'll toughen them up. Something, anything, to put some serious calluses on your feet.

When your feet are truly mountain ready, it shouldn't matter what type of footwear you have on, because your feet will be conditioned for come what may.
I actually used to do some of my weight lifting barefoot, but had to take a break from it after my first mountain hunt of last year. Might have to get back to it and increase it.

Everyone has different feet. before you drop coin on another set of boots, experiment with some combination of padding, tape and socks.

In the army, when my foot gear fit less well I would get hotspots on my heels and the bottom of my feet close to the ball. If i didn’t do anything it turned to bad, nasty blisters. after some experimentation, I learn that if I covered the spots in mole skin and then put duct tape over them = padding + friction reduction - they were better. I used a cool max liner sock and a good padded wool sock (thorlo, darn tough, smart wool) that was hiking or trekking version.

I still do some level of this prep when needed and like liner socks for long hikes. I find my modern (expensive) hiking boots make me less prone to issues but not entirely. Those same spots will heat up on me in the right circumstances and that can lead to nasty blisters again.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Everyone has different feet. before you drop coin on another set of boots, experiment with some combination of padding, tape and socks.

In the army, when my foot gear fit less well I would get hotspots on my heels and the bottom of my feet close to the ball. If i didn’t do anything it turned to bad, nasty blisters. after some experimentation, I learn that if I covered the spots in mole skin and then put duct tape over them = padding + friction reduction - they were better. I used a cool max liner sock and a good padded wool sock (thorlo, darn tough, smart wool) that was hiking or trekking version.

I still do some level of this prep when needed and like liner socks for long hikes. I find my modern (expensive) hiking boots make me less prone to issues but not entirely. Those same spots will heat up on me in the right circumstances and that can lead to nasty blisters again.
Yeah, I love the overall feel of my newer Crispi’s. If I use Leukotape on those spots, then I have no issues at all. I still have plenty left on the $10 roll that I bought last year. My next move is to try a synthetic liner sock with (foot powder) under my darn tough socks. I’m hoping that works; if not-leukotape it is

2-Stix

WKR
OP I have had the exact experiences. I have hot, sweaty, soft feet. My hands are the same.

I have 3 pair of crispis and they all blister my heals...left more than right...so I put on a bandaid then luko over it and it lasts 2 days. I change it a few times over my hunts. I tried baby powder, liners, sock weights, inserts, everything...luko was the cheapest and easiest solution.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
OP I have had the exact experiences. I have hot, sweaty, soft feet. My hands are the same.

I have 3 pair of crispis and they all blister my heals...left more than right...so I put on a bandaid then luko over it and it lasts 2 days. I change it a few times over my hunts. I tried baby powder, liners, sock weights, inserts, everything...luko was the cheapest and easiest solution.
Luko tape has worked incredibly well for me as well. Do you use luko in addition to liner and foot powder, or just luko and your main sock?

Yeah, I love the overall feel of my newer Crispi’s. If I use Leukotape on those spots, then I have no issues at all. I still have plenty left on the $10 roll that I bought last year. My next move is to try a synthetic liner sock with (foot powder) under my darn tough socks. I’m hoping that works; if not-leukotape it is
Agree with @2-Stix that tape was the fix for me. I tried a dozen sock combos, 3-4 insoles and enough powder to start a dust storm and give every one cancer.

I will run a spare pair of socks and if the hike allows, I will pop off my boots and put on dry socks. it helps and the old socks dry on the outside of my pack as I move.

@ClydeM experiment with leukotape but also duct tape (I like gorilla). It is slicker and reduces friction better. I am also not bashful about padding under tape with moleskin or gauze, if I get a blister.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
I always bring an extra pair of socks, and have indeed switched a few times when I can feel a lot of moisture. Leukotape has worked well, but I’ll give gorilla tape a try. I also carry moleskin if needed, but I’ll put on the tape as soon as I feel a hot spot forming(that’s if I don’t put it on before i even hit the mountain)

Last edited:

2-Stix

WKR
Luko tape has worked incredibly well for me as well. Do you use luko in addition to liner and foot powder, or just luko and your main sock?
small piece of moleskin or a small bandaid and 2 strips of luko over the top paired with a medium full cushion sock and that's it. I prefer medium weight full cushion socks, feels best for my feet, snug, hold the moisture, cushion is helpful. I run smart wool and darn tough.

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
Maybe try wright socks, they have a built in liner, I have a couple pair of their running socks and like them!

Try a barefoot type boot maybe?