Friction and Hot spots

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Maybe try wright socks, they have a built in liner, I have a couple pair of their running socks and like them!

Try a barefoot type boot maybe?
My feet due great is minimalist type running shoes, which is why I got the Crispi Lapponia 2’s, one of the lowest flex boots that they offer. During the first scouting trip that I went on with the Lapponias, I didn’t feel any hot spots until near the end(almost 6 miles); with previous boots it would be closer to 2-3 miles.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
For the last 2 years I’ve had issues with friction and hot spots. I’ve worn Danner Pronghorns and now Crispi Lapponia 2’s(both with Superfeet Trailblazer insoles, due to being flat footed).

Both boots have felt great. However, after 4-5 miles I start to get hot spots. I use Darn Tough Merino wool socks and recently added Smart wool sock liners(the liners did help a bit).

My next strategy will be using foot powder and trying a lacing technique to ensure a good heel lock.

**Using leukotape does completely eliminate the issue, but I’d rather not tape my feet every time I go out if there’s another way

Outside of all of that, anyone have any suggestions/tips?
Where are your hot spots? I leukotape for precaution. Mine were always on my heels until I found a boot that fit me

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Where are your hot spots? I leukotape for precaution. Mine were always on my heels until I found a boot that fit me
my hot spots are mainly on the inside part of my foot and my big toes, with a little bit on the balls of my feet

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I would try a set of insoles for your foot style. It might clear it up for ya. My running shoes did that to me in those exact spots without a set of insoles

feanor

WKR
Do you wear sandals very often? I find my feet getting tougher and callused just by wearing sandals more in the summer. Maybe not as extreme as other toughening methods, but could help over the long haul.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anything other than a synthetic liner sock with boot socks over those and my feet will feel like they're on fire. I've used polypropylene liners for decades without any issues. I tried darn tough one time by themselves and my feet were bright red and burning. Tried the DT over my liner socks and they wouldn't stay in place (like they were coated in Teflon). I use thin Smartwool Classic merino boot socks over my liners and they stay up and in place all day long.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
I would try a set of insoles for your foot style. It might clear it up for ya. My running shoes did that to me in those exact spots without a set of insoles
When I ran, i wore a superfeet insoles. I have the hiking version that bear suits me, and that did help some. The last time I went out was the best, didn’t feel any hot spots until the very end. It was also the first time that I went out in my Crispi’s(after wearing them around the house/running errands for a few days), so I’m hoping that I just needed that trip to break them in and the problem will be done with

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Anything other than a synthetic liner sock with boot socks over those and my feet will feel like they're on fire. I've used polypropylene liners for decades without any issues. I tried darn tough one time by themselves and my feet were bright red and burning. Tried the DT over my liner socks and they wouldn't stay in place (like they were coated in Teflon). I use thin Smartwool Classic merino boot socks over my liners and they stay up and in place all day long.
I’m definitely looking into some synthetic liners

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
Do you wear sandals very often? I find my feet getting tougher and callused just by wearing sandals more in the summer. Maybe not as extreme as other toughening methods, but could help over the long haul.
Due to being completely flat footed, sandals are a no-no. My feet will hurt so bad that I can’t wear them long enough to make my feet tougher. My garage is a home gym though, so I’m starting to do my workouts barefoot to try to toughen them up

chav0_12

FNG
While I agree that leukotape isn't a solution it's helped me. I seem to have shallow heels or skinny heels or something. I can't seem to find a boot that won't slip. If I tie my boots too tight they hurt the tops of my feet and that's almost just as annoying as heel blisters. I've left leukotape on for a few days at a time, so I do that before I start hunting and then add some more later. I've tried a thin wool sock liner and that helped a little. I've yet to try a silk liner but that might be a good option. If you're not already wearing a good wool sock I would do that too. I'd say, until you can find something that works use the leukotape when you go, it'll at least save you the misery of bloody feet.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I was asking my podiatrist about a lot of the issues you guys are mentioning. He said he has a friend in Leadville, CO that runs mountain marathons (or something like that) and he said he puts a thin layer of vaseline on his feet. He said that helps with the friction and moisture. I haven't tried it but I will next month.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve worn Polypropylene liner socks for the last few years with no issues until training this summer for an upcoming sheep trip. After a week or so of training I developed one heal blister and immediately used Leukotape and bandaids. Things seems OK for a few days and the blister was mostly healed up but then I did an 8 mile training hike with 1500ft of elevation and this time both heels and a big toe developed blisters badly. I did a little research and found out that Polypro liners are mostly for winter and retaining heat and don’t breath very well. It was recommended to get Coolmax liner socks to reduce foot temperature and help moisture wicking. Moisture retention seemed to be my biggest problem with the Polypro liners since my feet looked as wrinkly and damp as if I was soaking them in a hot tub. And that made my the skin on my feet prone to blistering and tearing. I just picked up some Coolmax liners and want to see if this helps in any way for my last week of training, but for now the Polypro’s are a no go for me

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I was asking my podiatrist about a lot of the issues you guys are mentioning. He said he has a friend in Leadville, CO that runs mountain marathons (or something like that) and he said he puts a thin layer of vaseline on his feet. He said that helps with the friction and moisture. I haven't tried it but I will next month.
That's to much of an awkward conversation with your buddy. "I swear, it's for my feet"......umkay🤨

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Here is was worked for me. As I have gotten older my feet have changed. Salomon gtx 4’s were my go to boots for serveral years and worked great until they didn’t.
Dealt with plantar fasciitis and having my feet torn up. Tried 3 different pairs of boots and all had issues.
This is what I did. PT for the plantar fasciitis and continued stretching every day. Went barefoot as much as possible this summer. I think going barefoot toughened up the skin and strengthened feet. Consulted the guys
@Gohunt and ordered a pair of Han Wag

ALVERSTONE II WIDE GTX. These have a wide last and fairly narrow heal. Added @sheepsfeet insoles and Darn Tough or Smartwool medium cushion hiking socks. Lacing is also very important . Sometimes after a couple miles I will stop and take two minutes and relace if something doesn’t feel right.​

After 65 hard miles, I have had zero issues with my feet. No heel slip, and plenty of room im the forefoot. It is so nice to not think about my feet hurting and just hunt.
Hopefully this helps someone.

OP
C

ClydeM

FNG
If you haven’t yet, try a thin synthetic liner. I use merino socks but for some reason the synthetic or silk liners work better. Might be they are more slippery and reduce friction.

It might also be a heat thing. If you’re running a GTX boot and a thick wool sock, things can start to get steamy in the summer and early fall.
i did get a synthetic liner, but also figured out part of the problem. when i first switched to merino wool socks, it was later in the season, so i bought midweight and heavyweight merino. during summer scouting and early season hunting, i was using midweight merin, when i should have been using lightweight