Fudd?

The opposite of a Fudd?

Tactical Timmy.

Tactical Timmy spends all day on ARFCOM, thinks anything chambered in a cartridge not currently fielded by a military unit is a "Fudd cartridge", and is genuinely, heartfeltly, and dismissively mystified by anyone who sees and experiences value in a Browning shotgun or a Weatherby rifle.

Tactical Timmy owns body armor, but no binos - he owns a Garmin Foretrex 901 but has never heard of OnX.

Tactical Timmy owns a full set of Crye, but has never heard of Kuiu or Sitka.

Tactical Timmy owns a non-serialized Chris Reeves Yarborough knife, but doesn't know what a Havalon is for.

Tactical Timmy has 10,000 rounds of 5.56 M193 and half-again as much 9mm stashed for his SHTF stockpile, but the closest thing he has to hunting ammo is 77gn OTM.

Tactical Timmy tells everyone else they're going to be a "loot drop for those who actually do train", and thinks he's going to hunt deer and "live off the land" in his personal SHFT fantasy, but doesn't own a spotting scope, wouldn't know a wind checker from foot powder, can't tell a Canvasback from a coot, couldn't tell a doe track from a buck's, and doesn't own any shotgun ammo that's not slug, buckshot, or low-base 7 1/2s. But his 10lb MAWL and ATACR-equipped 14.5" AR is "sub-MOA all day long".

Tactical Timmy thinks hunting is easy because he's seen the ignorant arrogance of Fudds opining on tactical stuff, just like Fudds think tactical stuff is easy because they've "been killin' deer since childhood" and have witnessed the ignorant arrogance of Tactical Timmies opining on hunting stuff.

Tactical Timmy is the Yin to the Fudd Yang - where the Fudd eschews new tech and technique because he "knows what works", Tactical Timmy feels "undergunned" if his gear isn't at the cutting edge of instagram-influencer newness.

IdahoBeav

WKR
The main factor isn't the preference of older and outdated technology and methodology. There's nothing wrong with preferring older equipment, road hunting, still hunting, etc. because you personally find more enjoyment with it. The issue is when they feel a need to loudly try to discredit new equipment and intentionally ignore facts, data, and results just so they can keep the delusion in their mind that the old ways and tools are still the best.

A great example is the 1911 vs. Glock debate.

CorbLand

WKR
Just so I understand this comment better, do you mean trail cams with or without a feature that sends real-time imagery straight to your phone?
The best thing about that comment is that Fudd is in reference to firearms and firearm culture...trail cameras have absolutely nothing to do with firearms. Kind of goes to prove how words like this ultimately lose their meaning due to overuse.

def90

WKR
Well then I guess I'm a Fudd. Will be 50 years old tomorrow and I have zero reason reason or interest to start hunting now with any of the "modern semi-auto “tactical” type firearms". My old Model 700 BDL's in .270 and 30-06 still kill the whitetails that I chase every fall just as dead as they did 30 years ago. I guess it's also a bit of a sentimental thing for me. That said, I do own and enjoy shooting the new stuff at the range or just out having fun varmint hunting etc.

You aren't a Fudd.

A Fudd is the guy that you see on the news that says "I support the second amendment but no one needs an assault rifle and a 50 round clip to hunt deer".

Reactions: 9.1

KenLee

WKR
Only shoots Magnum cartridges. Fierce rifle. No ear pro. No rangefinder, just a 200 yd zero and hold six inches above their back. Vortex scope that's been boresighted by Cabela's. Kills three animals per tag due to gut shots and no effort to recover. Blames non-residents for pushing out all the trophy animals that used to hang out by the road. Couple beers at lunch at camp.
Only a couple?
Damn I thought I was a Fudd, but apparently not.

Yoder

WKR
The best thing about that comment is that Fudd is in reference to firearms and firearm culture...trail cameras have absolutely nothing to do with firearms. Kind of goes to prove how words like this ultimately lose their meaning due to overuse.
It's just an example of someone that doesn't agree with something so it's wrong and should be banned. If people think cell cams give an unfair advantage, don't use them. You could say the same thing about rifles vs crossbows vs compound bows.

CorbLand

WKR
It's just an example of someone that doesn't agree with something so it's wrong and should be banned. If people think cell cams give an unfair advantage, don't use them. You could say the same thing about rifles vs crossbows vs compound bows.
Trail cameras have nothing to do with firearms or firearms culture, therefore, having that opinion does not make one a Fudd.

A Fudd is in direct reference to firearms and firearm culture and a mindset around that. I am not a Fudd because I like Bosch over Kitchenaid.

The gross over use of these words is what leads them to have no meaning. They start with meaning, then people start to use them for everyone that they disagree with. After a point, they lose their meaning and we end up with threads like this because nobody knows what it means anymore.

Last edited:

Yoder

WKR
Trail cameras have nothing to do with firearms or firearms culture, therefore, having that opinion does not make one a Fudd.

A Fudd is in direct reference to firearms and firearm culture and a mindset around that. I am not a Fudd because I like Bosch over Kitchenaid.

The gross over use of these words is what leads them to have no meaning. They start with meaning, then people start to use them for everyone that they disagree with. After a point, they lose their meaning and we end up with threads like this because nobody knows what it means anymore.
I looked at it like, Elmer Fudd was a hunter. It's related to hunting but I understand what you're saying. It makes the word meaningless like calling everyone racist or nazi.

CorbLand

WKR
I looked at it like, Elmer Fudd was a hunter. It's related to hunting but I understand what you're saying. It makes the word meaningless like calling everyone racist or nazi.
Yep, its not that language cant evolve, because it does but as more and more things are added under the umbrella of a Fudd, it loses its meaning. Its meant to be an insult and if it gets used for everything, it loses it ability to be an insult.

It becomes exactly like being called a racist for something that is not racism. You dont care because your not racist.

Now, I will stop being the word Nazi.