Garage door opener issue

LostArra

WKR
I have a basic Lift Master. Programmed to my Toyota button. It has worked for 20 years.
One day it won't lower the door.
I reprogram the button. Immediately after programming the door can be raised or lowered as intended.
I drive off. Come home and button will raise the door but not lower it.
I reprogram. It works both directions but 30 minutes later it won't lower the door.
Any suggestions?

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Did you recently add any new type of LED lighting? I've seen it a couple times where whatever frequencies the light controller is using conflict with garage opener.

3forks

WKR
I had a similar problem a while ago, and tried most of the solutions Google provided, but nothing worked.

I gave up and figured we had a poltergeist, but the problem somehow resolved itself in a few days so I called the priest and told him to cancel the exorcism.

The guy who suggested a LED light may be on to something though… I just Googled that because I still would like to know what was the issue with our garage door opener.

This next part won’t be helpful for you, but when I Googled LED light / garage door opener, I found this comment from some guy about being unable to find the source of his opener issue either, and a lot of people mentioned weak batteries. That’s definitely not your issue, but the next part I found pretty funny:

”Now you (and all of us) know how to mess with an obnoxious neighbor. A guy I know got divorced, lost the house and before he left put smoke detectors with old batteries behind the drywall in several rooms. Starting about eight months later, the ghostly CHIRP started up. A fond parting gift for the ex.”

OP
L

LostArra

WKR
I thought we were on to something. I removed the LED garage bulb and the truck button lowered the door for the first time in months. Then nothing. No up. No down. I think something must be loose inside and the door movement rattles a connection. Tomorrow I'll remove the whole cover and see if anything is obvious (with breaker cutting off the juice,) thanks

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
If it's the closing force it would be a problem with the wall button all the same.

Do you have an actual remote for the unit? Or just the programmed truck button?

Might want to just try reprogramming the truck button if you haven't already. Since you removes the LED.

Is it one of these style?
Screenshot_20240318_192533_Samsung Internet.jpg

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
MIne at the shop I built started acting up after 3 years. I ended up having a technician come to my cabin twice and they finally found a small plastic gear that had sheared off in the housing; they replaced it and it has worked fine. Point is, sometimes you need a pro to look into these things.

I built a garage once for an elderly lady, mid 80's. She phoned me over and over that her door was not working. Went through a new control board and literally 3 hours straight with a tech on the phone. Tried everything. Finally he says does she have a cordless phone. I ask her, yes she says, how old ? Not that old and pulls out this thing with a telescoping antenna, older than dirt. We unplug it from the wall and bam door works flawlessly.