Gas and inflation impacting your fall?

Ucsdryder

WKR
With 200 dollar barrels of oil now seeming inevitable and inflation only getting worse, I’m curious how this will impact western hunting or out of state hunting in general. I’m already not looking forward to the fuel costs this fall and I’m just a couple hours away from my units. Unfortunately, it looks like it’ll get worse before it gets better!

Does this change the number of NR applicants for 2022?

bsnedeker

WKR
With 200 dollar barrels of oil now seeming inevitable and inflation only getting worse, I’m curious how this will impact western hunting or out of state hunting in general. I’m already not looking forward to the fuel costs this fall and I’m just a couple hours away from my units. Unfortunately, it looks like it’ll get worse before it gets better!

Does this change the number of NR applicants for 2022?
Buddies and I were just talking about this. My theory: It won't affect NR pressure at all...any guys dropping out due to the cost will simply be replaced by others. I think we might see a decrease in resident hunting pressure as guys might be spending fewer days in the field and not willing to drive as far to get to their spots.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
It will effect how much, if any, scouting I get done over the summer (assuming me and mine draw some tags). I think it might effect NR OTC elk ( Colorado) because it might deter some % of casual elk hunters. No real effect on draw only areas, demand/supply is such that anyone who jumps out will have a dozen guys in line behind them wanting tags.

tdhanses

WKR
It will effect how much, if any, scouting I get done over the summer (assuming me and mine draw some tags). I think it might effect NR OTC elk ( Colorado) because it might deter some % of casual elk hunters. No real effect on draw only areas, demand/supply is such that anyone who jumps out will have a dozen guys in line behind them wanting tags.
As prices keep raising might be a good year for some hard to get tags in the second draw.

I don't think it will stop people from doing things that are a one-time trip. For example if someone makes an elk hunting trip from the midwest and it now costs them $600 in gas vs. $300 it's just part of as small increase in the grand scheme. As others said, it will just maybe cut out a scouting trip they planned. But I don't see any change in hunting pressure; I think people that hunt out of state have already made it a priority in their lives and will cut other stuff out if needed to make up a few hundred bucks.

I will have no change in my hunting plans. It will however drastically effect our summer plans. We love to fish and it seems like we do 6-10 trips to the Kenai Peninsula a summer that last a few days each. This year we picked 3 weekends and will just do a few 5-6 day trips.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
When we went through this in 2008 I don’t remember draw odds improving at all, hunters are going to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with you people are still going to hunt especially if it's a draw tag. Single hunting trip no big deal, multiple trips it's definitely factoring into my decision process. Spring bear is a wait and see as it gets closer deal for me right now.

Even my barbary hunt last month fuel was another $300 or so even before the current craziness. Not much to some but to me that's an Idaho bear tag.

Last edited:
When we went through this in 2008 I don’t remember draw odds improving at all, hunters are going to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I recall correctly, 2008 is one of the few seasons Montana didn’t sell all 17,000 nonresident combo tags.

It might help with some nonresident General tag draw odds and/or alternate list success, especially if we have as associated economic downturn which is likely.

That said I think limited entry tags are a different story.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's exactly what I was going to say. People thought it would make a difference, but it was still crowded.......yet nowhere near what it's like these days.

I'd like to see it get back to 1980 numbers. (y) The mountains to myself.

TheViking

WKR
Not going to affect me one bit. Yes, sucks to pay a ton more for fuel between scouting trips and hunts, but I'm a hunter, I live for fall. Not a damn thing stopping me from doing the things I love to do.

I am just hoping my 401K is not too impacted long term by all this and I still can afford to move to Colorado in 5 years and get to retire and pay Nonresident Elk License Fee's !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

TheViking

WKR
I am just hoping my 401K is not too impacted long term by all this and I still can afford to move to Colorado in 5 years and get to retire and pay Nonresident Elk License Fee's !!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
As a Colorado resident...I wouldn't move here. Wyoming or Montana have WAY better hunting opportunities for Residents. Both of those states allocates the vast majority (forget exact figures) of their tags to residents. Wyoming the General tags are over the counter for them. Colorado of course has OTC but it's over run like crazy. I'd highly consider somewhere besides Colorado if you're moving to benefit from Big Game Hunting.

Last edited: