Gas Prices & DIY NR Hunters

CoStick

WKR
Was out of the country for a little over a week and prices haven’t changed…

DWBMontana

Lil-Rokslider
Higher fuel prices are just the beginning IMO. If things is this world keep imploding, wait till you see $10 loafs of bread or more.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
It’s a factor for some who really budget. I won’t be driving to the North Slope in my better half’s fiesta. But I will won’t let fuel costs hinder my hunting….fishing on the other hand, might take a backseat.

Regardless, I miss the previous administration.

hotsoup

FNG
Well with the increase in gas prices and the fact that I might have to go solo this year I am starting to second guess putting in for the GMU that I generally try to draw. Might just put in for a higher draw unit so I get a Pref Point and wait to see if I find someone to go along later and possibly just do OTC. Just budgeting the gas and without anyone to split the cost I am looking at at least $900.00 to $1000.00 just for gas. These new Gas prices are going to knock out a few hunters. Good news for the Co locals that hate the DIY NR's hunting but bad news for the DOW who may not get those huge NR license fee's this year.
gas prices won't stop me from going. i have a guided elk hunt booked for december and don't care what the price of gas gets to. i do a guided elk hunt every year, it's what i look forward too all year. ymmv.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
From another perspective, otc hunter may try to convince a few extra buddies to go so they can split the fuel between a few more people. Hopefully not the case

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I'm willing to drive out twice from VA this year with a diesel truck with prices being high. it is what it is.

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
It sucks, but it is what it is. I'm certainly not going to be lying on my death bed glad I didn't go elk hunting because gas was $1.00 more than the year before. I do understand people can have tight family budgets. At least when tag costs increase hopefully that money is going to the state to manage and conserve wildlife.

Huntnnw

WKR
From another perspective, otc hunter may try to convince a few extra buddies to go so they can split the fuel between a few more people. Hopefully not the case
you would be late to the game if thats the plan today. lotta states are sold out or draws have passed

Huntnnw

WKR
It’s a factor for some who really budget. I won’t be driving to the North Slope in my better half’s fiesta. But I will won’t let fuel costs hinder my hunting….fishing on the other hand, might take a backseat.

Regardless, I miss the previous administration.
fishing trips already have been canceled for us to some places. Its just not worth $350 in gas to catch 1 salmon each day

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
you would be late to the game if thats the plan today. lotta states are sold out or draws have passed
This is not my plan, a few hundred in gas is a drop in the bucket for an out of state hunt. Colorado has a ton of otc tags and 100% draw units. My hope is that people don't increase the size of their hunting party in order to split the cost between more people. I think that the fact that the government isn't throwing out stimulus money like candy this year will have a bigger effect on reducing the crowds this year. The last 2 years there were a lot if people staying home from work which gave them time to go hunt; stimulus checks and 1k a week unemployment payments provided the money for them to go.

Pray Putin dies or finds a way to gracefully bow out. Inflation and oil the market can correct. Investors don't like instability...give us something stable even if it's not ideal and gas / inflation will be on their way to being under control by hunting season.

Couple friends I hunted antelope with the last few years in Wyoming told me they’re not going this year. Fuel prices were the number one complaint and 2nd- cost of everything was the second ( I guess inflation).
Overall if you’re gonna miss one it’s probably isn’t a bad one to miss.

I’ll be flying out this year, with the cost of fuel it’s about the same price to fly out, rent a truck, and ship a pallet of stuff out ahead of time.
Last year the 5k miles round trip cost us about $600 a head with fuel and tolls. Add in the fuel increase and we will be almost $1k a head, also flying gives me at a minimum a full extra hunting day.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I think it might deter a few who go out west every couple of years. For the majority and for people like us who are on these many times a day it’s not going to change our plans.
If I draw all my tags I will leaving Virginia heading to Montana for a elk bow hunt then on to New Mexico for another bow hunt. Then I will be heading back to Montana for a rifle deer hunt.
I’m ready to make sacrifices now to make sure I have enough cash on hand to cover everything no matter what the cost will be at the time. I don’t care if I need to eat ramen from now until then.

Last edited:

Cconrad94

FNG
Well with the increase in gas prices and the fact that I might have to go solo this year I am starting to second guess putting in for the GMU that I generally try to draw. Might just put in for a higher draw unit so I get a Pref Point and wait to see if I find someone to go along later and possibly just do OTC. Just budgeting the gas and without anyone to split the cost I am looking at at least $900.00 to $1000.00 just for gas. These new Gas prices are going to knock out a few hunters. Good news for the Co locals that hate the DIY NR's hunting but bad news for the DOW who may not get those huge NR license fee's this year.
We've been trying to get out to CO for a couple years now for a DIY and hadnt made it happen. We've planned it for sept this year so we're gonna bite the bullet and suffer through the fuel. Still sucks though