Getting a pelt tag on the weekend CO

Felix40

WKR
In NM it’s really easy to look up a game warden’s phone number to get a bear pelt tagged. In CO I can’t find any way to look up a DWM’s phone number. It’s almost like they don’t want the public to have their numbers.

For people who bear hunt CO a lot, how do you go about getting a pelt tag on a weekend? Is there a number you call that then redirects you to someone who can tag it? Do you have to wait until an office opens on Monday?

I plan on calling an office to get some info but I was curious how it has worked for other people.

Tick

WKR
It is frustrating as hell. Regional office may or may not give you the wardens number. The wardens I've dealt with rarely answer. Last year the office told me the local warden was on vacation when I couldn't reach him. Drove the 1.5 hours to the office before they closed. Drove the 1.5 hours back and see the warden in town 20 minutes from my camp checking a hide. Weekends forget it. I don't hunt Friday unless I plan on staying until Monday.

Hopefully you will be checking a hide and not a “pelt”

Otherwise they’re all going to……

Read pg 63 of the 2023 CO big game brochure - “Mandatory Bear Inspections and Seals”. You have 5 working days to present your bear to the CPW. They won’t be open on the weekends which is a real pain but nothing you can do about it. So be prepared to keep everything cool before you can get it inspected. I have no idea why don’t have inspection options during the peak season and still keep you on a countdown clock. I have never had an issue but it is just another logistical hurdle to get past.

ckleeves

WKR
It’s easiest to just drop by a CPW location. You have up to 5 business days to get it done. I bet if you call some wardens they are going to direct you to an office. Between the tooth pulling, map of harvest location and inspection I’m not sure if its really the best use of their time during season.

OP
Felix40

Felix40

WKR
The system in NM is really easy and works good. It’s hard for me to imagine CO is so bad that going to an office is the only option.

Ginner

FNG
It’s a joke….I had a September bighorn ewe tag last year and NO ONE would meet up til the following Monday. Had to leave the cape at a refrigerator in Colorado and drive back there on Monday after work to meet someone. I got the run around from every office I talked to. Luckily I lived a couple hours away and didn’t live in Alaska or Hawaii. The reasoning was because it wasn’t the main rifle seasons so they didn’t have anyone available on the weekend. It still baffles me on the outcome if I lived multiple states away.