Getting best of both worlds - "standard" and long-range riflescope?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Currently looking for a new scope. Putting my current Nikon Buckmasters 3-9x40 on my son's Savage Axis II. I would love to be able to 'reach out' a little further but don't want to sacrifice too much of the wide-angle view.

Have any of you found a solution for this? Maybe a 4-18?

I want to go for antelope in the near future and while I believe (possibly read here) that most shots are within 200 to 250 yards, it seems like many are taken at great distances. (Maybe that should read "greatly-exaggerated distances"! :)

I have only shot long-distance one time (800 yards) at a buddy's range. I put the scope to my eye for a 400-yd shot and initially couldn't believe how large my target appeared! It was b/c I'm used to a 9x max power, not 25x or whatever he had.

I am also considering a new rifle also. It may be that I keep one set up with a more traditional 3-9x and give the other a little more distance capability. However, I can't imagine both being long-distance dedicated. (Considering a Tikka T3X, Bergara Wilderness Ridge, etc. for the new rifle.)

I think 3-15 is the sweet spot for effective hunting field of view and cost.
Right now I'm looking at Meopta Optika 5 in 3-15.
I also strongly prefer second focal plane for hunting and a thick robust crosshair.

I've moved to ffp scopes this year, the few with good recticles (milquad, mil-r, thlr) are very useable at all ranges. There's a ton of info on long range scopes and there performance in the long range hunting, optics evaluation forum

Wrench

WKR
I've taken a lot of successful shots in the 9ish power area. A quality scope will leave the buckmaster in the dust.

If you want the best of both worlds, europtic has the 4-24 tenmiles for about half price. I bought a couple from them and they're great sfp scopes and were here in two days.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
3-15x44 is a good all around scope. I have the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 Firedot on my Browning BAR 30-06. For my Henry 45-70 I have a VX-5HD 1-5x24 Firedot on it because I'm not shooting as far with it.

Northpark

WKR
I’m a 4-16x kinda guy. I’ve successfully taken 16x out to a mile but it’s definitely not ideal. I limit my shots on critters to 600 yards so 16x is plenty. I’m big fan of the Zeiss V4 4-16x44 for hunting.

slowelk

WKR
I've moved to ffp scopes this year, the few with good recticles (milquad, mil-r, thlr) are very useable at all ranges. There's a ton of info on long range scopes and there performance in the long range hunting, optics evaluation forum

I’m really liking the mil-c in the 4-16 atacr. Much more useable at 4x than the nx8 for example.

To the point of the post I think anything 3-15, 4-16 or similar is a good all-round. 2-12 could be good in the right setup too. Some will say 3-9 is good, but I like to be able to go above 10x for target practice.

Honyock

WKR
4-16x50 with an illuminated reticle covers everything I can dream of hunting. I have had zero issues with the Zeiss Conquest V4. 4x with a wide field of view on the low end and more magnification on the high end than I care to shoot.

bmanb940

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta's Optika5 3-15x44 Z-Plus reticle to dial in bullet drops is the way to go. If you have never used a reticle for drops, you will be amazed at how accurate they are, of course, it all depends on how accurate the data you enter is. Look at Strelok Pro app.

drh2687

FNG
As others have mentioned, 3-15x, 4-16x mag ranges are great for sort of the "just right" porridge temp. Enough low end for easy scanning, enough high end for detail PID and distance if you want it.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, guys. Thanks for your replies.

I like the common mag-range theme (~4-16 give or take) in most of the comments. That says something. I might have some question for individuals out there about the scope they recommended/suggested. I screwed up by waiting until fall to act on this. I still might make a change, though. Might put the buckmasters on my son's Savage Axis as I don't think the Bushnell Banner scope on his is accurate.

I often hear that it's worth it to spend money on good glass. I believe this and follow this rule in photography, believe it but can't afford it with binoculars (I don't have Svaros or Zeiss but good Vortex), and for some reason, I treat the scope as an afterthought on a hunting rifle. I'm looking at a new rifle now and the thought of possibly spending the same $$$ on the scope as the rifle is daunting.

TheHammer

WKR
Was just looking at a swaro 2.5-16x50 ffp scheels had it onsale for 1300. Ended up with another vortex as they’ve always taken care of me.

surprised nobody pimped the Bushnell LRHS2 from GAP. I'd take that over anything mentioned.....

IMG_2484_zps4ypmldyx.jpg

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Was just looking at a swaro 2.5-16x50 ffp scheels had it onsale for 1300. Ended up with another vortex as they’ve always taken care of me.
I don't see that one on Scheel's. 3.5x is the lowest mag, and the only 50mm has a 28x max zoom.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
surprised nobody pimped the Bushnell LRHS2 from GAP. I'd take that over anything mentioned.....
I see it's discontinued. I didn't know they made high-end/expensive scopes. Compare this to the Banner that came on my son's Axis II... :)

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should be asking about the warranties on these scopes... are they comparable to Vortex's warranty?

Noticed there's no Vortex mentioned here...